Incentive Problem

Options
Hi all. I downloaded the App for this site months ago, but I've only just decided to seriously endeavor to lose weight. Though I have 120 lbs to lose, I've always lacked the motivation to do so. I'm fortunate enough to have a loving and handsome husband (of 10 years) who first pursued me because he found me attractive at my current weight. Though I'm very overweight, I have no health or mobility issues directly related to my weight. So, I really just lacked the incentive to do anything about it (apart from the periodic carload of teenagers yelling rude, weight-related comments at me - Grrr...) . I've always said that there should be some government grant, or tax break for obese people who work their way into a healthy BMI. That would probably have worked for me! LOL! Anyway, I've recently turned 30, and decided it's probably time to turn things around before I DO develop health issues. So, here I am! Wish me luck!

Replies

• BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good luck hun x
  • sherhop
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I also lacked the motivation to get into shape. Since joining this site about a month ago, I find myself checking calories in everything! I've gotten up and started doing some exercises which have already had positive effect on my body. Believe me, a 43 year old with many health problems, that it will be SO much better, and 'easier', to lose the weight while you are still young.
    I've struggled with weight since childhood and I know it isn't easy to get motivated enough to do something about it. but I have found motivation at this site. I wish you all the success as you start your weight loss journey. You can add me as a friend, if you want to.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision.. The work from here on is that everything you do supports that decision. I have been in the boat you are in. Unfortunately.... it took til I wam 55 to actually get something done...It's good you are not waiting that long.
    What I have learned is that obesity is not just about food. It's about emotions. feeling, rejection, abandonment. you name it... so Addressing this is important. I got help with a person who is a clinical hypnotherapist, psychotherapist. He does. hypno-psychotherapy... It is what helped me to find and heal all the emotions that were and can still drive the maladaptive eating behaviours. Most important is to be always present and concious in food choices... think about what and why you are eating. You may be surprised..
    best wishes,..
    Mary
  • edemair
    edemair Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started last week and lost 6 LBS! When you put in the time and energy you will see results. Count your calories, take vitamins, make sure your heart rate is at a fat burning stage, and lift some weights too. Most important find a work out you enjoy. Exercise ls like a drug when get into it. Good luck to you!
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!
    I'm right there with you on the incentive thing! When I very first started this site I was preparing to be in my friends wedding, so that was a great motivation but since then my life has just exploded with chaos and things quickly went down the tube! lol
    Once you start seeing results that all the motivation you need! I'm on here for the long haul as well! (about 90-100lbs)
    Good luck!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Don't you just LOVE those obnoxious teenies... not..:grumble: . 10 years from now you can laugh at their fat behinds... sorry... I just had justifiable gloating not long ago. A young person that used to make such rude and nasty comments about me was recognized and I made sure she knew who I was.... She lost her girlie figure somewhere along the years - I just smiled real big and said "Oh HI! It's been years - MY how you have grown." and walked away. Sometimes that is all the motivation that I need to stay with it. I never thought being so rude would feel so good.... I didn't realize I had it in me. :devil:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I realize you indicate you don't currently have any health issues, but just want to share that I have never felt better after shedding the weight. I would strongly encourage you to do it for yourself knowing that you are benefiting your long term health. Plus you will love buying and sporting the smaller clothing sizes and styles! Glad you have such a loving and supportive husband; you are very fortunate!
  • bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:

Maybe if you lack motivation you could find some old clothes that you used to fit into or a old picture of when you was smaller and use them as you're incentive. Hang them near to where you workout or even near the fridge so if you fall off the wagon you can jump straight back on!!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If your motivation is health-related, it may be a good practice to read an article (a paragraph or two) everyday about health complications that could happen if you remain overweight -- that way you can keep your motivation up.

Health reasons are also a major reason I want to lose weight (even through I don't currently have any). I've been reading books about nutrition and how it relates to disease -- it really lit a fire under me and spurred me to join this site!

Good luck, and keep pushing through. Set-backs happen short-term, but it's the long term we need to focus on.