Low BP issues

Options
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if so, what have you done to alleviate it.

The few days I've been fairly back on course with my eating, and due to that, my sodium has been greatly reduced. At 220 pounds, my BP was on the lower end of normal - I'm now at 210. Several years ago (not on a healthy diet plan, but exercising much more), I was at roughly 140-150 pounds, with a normal BP of 80/50. I don't have a home BP cuff, but have noticed when I eat something heavier in salt, I started to feel a bit better. Problem is - when I eat these types of foods, I feel bad because I'm not adhering to my diet then.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    How low sodium are you eating? You do need a certain amount of salt for health. Honestly though the only people I know with low BP are long distance runners and their doctors are more impressed than concerned, keeping in mind that the "lower end of normal" is still normal.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    If you're that concerned about it, go to the doctor.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Doctors in the UK aren't overly concerned about low BP, tho' they tend to make more of it in some European countries.As long as it isn't making you extremely tired or liable to faint, it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep your sodium/potassium balance right and you should be OK.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It's been averaging out to about 1500 mg per day - before eating something salty that is.

I was a long distance runner in high school (ran track and cross country for 4 years, plus ran for "fun" with friends on weekends/off seasons.
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had extremely low blood pressure after losing a ton of weight too in 2006/2007. However I was put on medication for it ( don't ask what name, I really can't remember ) After I while, I opted out of medication and tried wingin' it on my own. A handful of peanuts would help whenever I felt light headed, dizzy or just blah. They are high in calories, but overall better for you than chips. ( if you get less processed nuts)
    After two babies my blood pressure stabilized to normal. I guess all I needed was a very stressful life to be "normal" ha
  • RockinTerri
    Options
    If you're that concerned about it, go to the doctor.

Not quite to that point yet - just trying to get some feedback right now. Thanks! :smile:
  • RockinTerri
    Options
    Doctors in the UK aren't overly concerned about low BP, tho' they tend to make more of it in some European countries.As long as it isn't making you extremely tired or liable to faint, it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep your sodium/potassium balance right and you should be OK.

Not quite feeling that bad yet, just a little lightheaded though. Thanks for the input!
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had extremely low blood pressure after losing a ton of weight too

I had similar issues. Think low sodium was a big culprit. I also ran much more back then.
  • RockinTerri
    Options
    I had extremely low blood pressure after losing a ton of weight too in 2006/2007. However I was put on medication for it ( don't ask what name, I really can't remember ) After I while, I opted out of medication and tried wingin' it on my own. A handful of peanuts would help whenever I felt light headed, dizzy or just blah. They are high in calories, but overall better for you than chips. ( if you get less processed nuts)
    After two babies my blood pressure stabilized to normal. I guess all I needed was a very stressful life to be "normal" ha

That may do the trick for me too - though I think my one kiddo gives me stress enough! HA HA!
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Drink some G2. low in calories and has some sodium.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I get lightheaded every now and again, so I add plenty of salt to my food. Salt is delicious. When I did hot yoga last year, I literally drank bouillon to get my salt back up. That said, my BP is 90/70, so not really comparable to yours.

When I asked my doctor about my BP, he said it was great and he was happy to see that number. The biggest thing is that it is less stressful for your heart and your blood vessels. I just make sure to stand up slowly.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had some issues with slightly low blood pressure after I lost weight...I only noticed really because I was getting a headrush basically every time I stood up. I was eating between 1000 - 1500mg of sodium per day so I upped that to about 2500, sometimes more, and I have been feeling better. I haven't had a doctor's appointment yet to see if my BP has gone back to normal, but adding more sodium fixed the headrush problem.

You don't need to go off your diet plan to get more sodium into your diet. Just add some nice sea salt to your meals, or find an electrolyte replacement that you can put in your water. :smile:
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    dehydration can also play a role in low bp, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's been averaging out to about 1500 mg per day - before eating something salty that is.

I was a long distance runner in high school (ran track and cross country for 4 years, plus ran for "fun" with friends on weekends/off seasons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have chronically low blood pressure and I've had two different doctors tell me to eat more salt. I'm usually at 2000-3000mg a day. I find it does help keep the dizziness away.
  • RockinTerri
    Options
    Drink some G2. low in calories and has some sodium.

I actually grabbed some Gatorade today - but will pick up some G2 when I head to the store tomorrow. Thanks!
  • RockinTerri
    Options
    I get lightheaded every now and again, so I add plenty of salt to my food. Salt is delicious. When I did hot yoga last year, I literally drank bouillon to get my salt back up. That said, my BP is 90/70, so not really comparable to yours.

When I asked my doctor about my BP, he said it was great and he was happy to see that number. The biggest thing is that it is less stressful for your heart and your blood vessels. I just make sure to stand up slowly.

Thanks for the input!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if so, what have you done to alleviate it.

The few days I've been fairly back on course with my eating, and due to that, my sodium has been greatly reduced. At 220 pounds, my BP was on the lower end of normal - I'm now at 210. Several years ago (not on a healthy diet plan, but exercising much more), I was at roughly 140-150 pounds, with a normal BP of 80/50. I don't have a home BP cuff, but have noticed when I eat something heavier in salt, I started to feel a bit better. Problem is - when I eat these types of foods, I feel bad because I'm not adhering to my diet then.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

If low sodium is part of your diet, and you feel guilty not sticking to your diet, change your diet.

There's isn't a "one size fits all" nutritional plan we all need to stick to, and one of the main reasons people need a low sodium diet it to reduce the effects of high blood pressure. You don't have that risk, so it's a non-issue. If you're concerned about water retention, you can up your sodium until you find yourself uncomfortable, and then you have your new limit.

Trust me, passing out and potentially knocking off your block isn't worth sticking to MPFs arbitrary rules.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How about a handful of salted almonds for a snack? They have the sea salt versions in the stores.
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have always had low BP, along with a medical condition that causes additional sudden drops in BP (causing disorientation, dizzy and fainting spells). My cardiologist insisted that not only do I need to get adequate water intake, but that I need to make sure I keep up a constant level of salt (which is probably why you felt better on the higher sodium day).

Being that I never "add" salt to my foods, I have to make an effort to eat foods with sodium. His suggestion was to snack on some "healthy" but salted peanuts or popcorn occasionally to help offset the symptoms.