Does anyone have a Tree nut or peanut allergy?

Options

Replies

• AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    my niece has these allergies...this is an extremely serious issue. if you are unsure about what to do or not do for your child you should talk to his doctor until you are sure of the dos and donts.

you should not take advice from people on a diet site's forum.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DO NOT RELY ON BLOOD TESTS, SKIN PRICK IS THE ONLY TRUSTED METHOD.

Skin prick tests are almost never used on children. Blood tests are typically used on young children. The essential thing is that even while you are waiting for blood tests, you need to have epi pens and benedryl immediately available at all times.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to all nuts and basically I read a labels for everything and ensure that nuts are not on the label but because my allergy doesn't cause full anaphlaxis I am not too guarded to try foods that may have been produce on machinery that touched nuts but if I get the slightest reaction I immediately stop and never consume that product again. I don't even use soaps or scrubs with walnut shells in it, or lotions that have nut oils in it... just too much left to chance there.

My best suggestion is to never let him have anything that cannot identify if it has nut or nut products in it or not and to always read the label an ensure you are only using items that have not been produced on machinery that may have been in contact with nuts if his allergy is severe.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to nuts, but I am incredibly allergic to mango. Allergies are difficult. I carry epi, albuterol, advil, an antihistamine, pepcid (which works on different histamine receptors) and solu-medrol with a full IV kit with me (I am a paramedic, so I just take care of myself usually, because I hate going to the hospital).

The best prevention you can do is teach. Teach other people about his allergy. Post signs around your house. Also, you can call the non-emergency line for the EMS station that is near your house, and let them know that you have a small child with a severe food allergy. It gets added to a special note section in the call code that they can see when you call 911.

Hope the allergist gets things figured out for you. Good luck!

Thank you for this!! This is the type of advice I am hoping to get on here! I did not know they kept notes like that. I have been looking into a Med Alert bracelet for him as well but want to wait until he gets tested to see what all he is allergic too. Yeah I carry the epi-pen, benadryl, (Ive was told the other day by a friend that using Zantac can act to block some receptors as well), and when i take him to daycare and anywhere i carry his nebulizer machine with his albuterol since he doesnt have a rescue inhaler.. but if worse comes to worse i carry my rescue inhaler in my purse for asthma.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Read labels, read labels, read labels! It doesn't matter if you've read that label for that product a million times, read it every time you get it: Companies are not required to notify the public if they change the ingredients of a product all they have to do is change it on the label.

Definitely keep educating yourself and when in doubt consider whatever it is a no-no item and keep it away from him. It may sound over cautious, but you want to protect that little guy as much as you can

I wonder if because he does eat yogurt/cheese and drink 1% milk now, if maybe the soy causes some of his eczema? never thought of that. he doesnt have the stomach issues with milk now though that he did as a baby...

If your son has eczema as well, he is just a highly allergic kid. The "trifecta" is usually food allergies, eczema, asthma. We read labels twice, first, before we buy a food, and second, before we give it to him. We assume foods are unsafe, particularly bakery goods, including many different breads. There's a really helpful brand you can buy called "Enjoy Life" which is free of the "Big 8" allergens. Their crunchy cookies are the best! See:

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/

Here's a helpful book you can read with him, to help him understand. My son really liked it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bugabees-Friends-With-Allergies/dp/1592982794
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have a peanut allergy (and a soy and dairy allergy). As others have said, read labels very very carefully. If you're eating out, be sure to let the restaurant know that there is an allergy. Some restaurants may refuse to serve your son, but some will actually have a separate preparation area to accommodate allergies. And stay away from anything that could potentially have cross contamination - this includes things like bulk foods, ice cream in restaurants/shops (unless it's soft serve, but no toppings because there could be cross contamination there!), etc.

Also, a small tip: if a product used to say "may contain traces..." and no longer does, contact the company before trusting the package - I don't know if it's just a Canadian thing, but there are apparently rules on what allergens companies need to list on their labels, and apparently peanuts are no longer one of those things because gluten, wheat, and soy are so popular right now.

I'm sure I'll be repeating what others have said, but just to be sure: make sure everyone knows about his allergy - family, friends, baby sitters, day care, etc. You and his father need to now be "nut free" also. If he's going to a friend's house or a birthday party, call the parents ahead of time and let them know. I don't know what it's like where you live, but most schools and day cares where I am are "nut free" environments, but it's still important to make sure that schools, etc. know this about your child's allergies.

Air planes: most airlines no longer serve nuts but always be sure to contact the airline ahead of time. They can also make an announcement asking passengers not to consume nuts on the flight for severe allergies.

As you've noted, he's too young for the skin prick, but definitely get that done when he's old enough. There is also a connection between peanut allergies and avocados, so be careful there too until you can have him tested.

There seems to be much more of an awareness now about allergies and particularly nut allergies than there was when I was growing up. Obviously you still need to be diligent and he'll always have to be too (once he's old enough), but people seem to understand the seriousness of allergies now more than they did when I was a kid.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I can not add anything to what everyone else has said. My daughter has a small allergy to nuts but, I don't know which ones...she has had some and no reactions. But, make sure your Doctor gives you an Epi-Pen and that keep them in very common places where he goes. I have one in her everyday bag that goes to the sitters and one in her actual diaper bag, which will soon move to mu purse because the diaper bag will be obsolete soon.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Hi Marcillene,

My son has severe peanut and tree nut allergies. I remember when we first found out--he was 2. It was as if he was suddenly surrounded by rattlesnakes, every day. It can be very scary. He's 5 1/2 now. You do get used to it, but you do have to stay vigilant. I'm assuming you have epi-pens now? Always keep them on you, (we carry no less than 4 at a time, and my criteria for purses has really changed!). Another tip--always carry liquid Benedryl. The best type is the pre-measured liquid "spoons" for children, because you can get it into them very quickly. See here:

http://www.smartallergyfriendlyeducation.com/2013/06/cvs-offers-another-childrens-allergy.html

Those can be tricky to find, though--even online--so a small bottle of liquid with a measuring spoon or cup is a good bet. If your son is in daycare, it's time for a long, careful conversation with his daycare providers. If you direct message me with your real email address, I'll send you a copy of the instructions we prepared for my son's daycare. On a positive note, schools and daycares are MUCH more aware of this problem then they used to be, because it's growing so rapidly (though no one knows why). Be very careful about processed foods, and foods stored in bulk, which can be contaminated with peanut particles. My son's summer camp is going to a baseball field today, and I'm going with because of the peanut shells scattered around. I want to be there to be sure to handle any reaction if he has one (he is *very* allergic). Yet, I still want him to be able to go! When you send your son to another child's house, send him with his own food. Also, you might want to read through this organization's informational material, or consider joining it. They're really helpful, and are helping to fund research for a cure:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

Take care, and if you have questions, direct message me!

AbbeyDove

Thank you! I will message you shortly, I would like to know everything I can in regards to proper changes of lifestyles to ensure my child does not come in contact. My son just turned 2.. hes 26 months right now :) He also was not allowed peanuts before he turned 2 because I had read of the increased allergies in young children.. he turned 26 months and i thought,... well hes old enough maybe he can try.... i guess its better to find out than not... i was just SOOO glad I waited this long in his life... because I had benadryl and his breathing machine and albuterol at hand.. and Ive seen his eczema and hives and breathing problems before so I knew shortly after that he was having an allergy attack... I had just never known/dealt with the liquid in the lungs, the blue lips, the swelling, the constant vomitting of liquid/diarrhea portion of it.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You're right, it is learning, learning, learning. My son is severely allergic to eggs and peanuts (and minorly allergic to about 15 other things) and we found out when he had his first severe reaction at 10 months old. He's almost three right now and I'm just beginning to feel like I have everything under control and that it doesn't run our life. That first year or so was really hard.

In addition to the other resources, I like the Kids with Food Allergies Network http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/pages/community Lots of good information and resources to help educate those around you.

In regard to skin tests, I had heard they don't do them on babies so I was completely off guard when they did one on my son at 18 months. If they decide that skin is the way to go, bring someone else with you if you can to help. I also like to get a new toy or book (I've now had skin tests done with my son and my daughter and am prepping for a second on my son for next week) because they really want to scratch during the waiting period and having something new to distract them is very helpful.

Best of luck to you. It's not an easy road to travel but you are not alone. There's a lot of information and many speciality products out there that make life easier. Feel free to message or friend me.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I have a peanut allergy (and a soy and dairy allergy). As others have said, read labels very very carefully. If you're eating out, be sure to let the restaurant know that there is an allergy. Some restaurants may refuse to serve your son, but some will actually have a separate preparation area to accommodate allergies. And stay away from anything that could potentially have cross contamination - this includes things like bulk foods, ice cream in restaurants/shops (unless it's soft serve, but no toppings because there could be cross contamination there!), etc.

Also, a small tip: if a product used to say "may contain traces..." and no longer does, contact the company before trusting the package - I don't know if it's just a Canadian thing, but there are apparently rules on what allergens companies need to list on their labels, and apparently peanuts are no longer one of those things because gluten, wheat, and soy are so popular right now.

I'm sure I'll be repeating what others have said, but just to be sure: make sure everyone knows about his allergy - family, friends, baby sitters, day care, etc. You and his father need to now be "nut free" also. If he's going to a friend's house or a birthday party, call the parents ahead of time and let them know. I don't know what it's like where you live, but most schools and day cares where I am are "nut free" environments, but it's still important to make sure that schools, etc. know this about your child's allergies.

Air planes: most airlines no longer serve nuts but always be sure to contact the airline ahead of time. They can also make an announcement asking passengers not to consume nuts on the flight for severe allergies.

As you've noted, he's too young for the skin prick, but definitely get that done when he's old enough. There is also a connection between peanut allergies and avocados, so be careful there too until you can have him tested.

There seems to be much more of an awareness now about allergies and particularly nut allergies than there was when I was growing up. Obviously you still need to be diligent and he'll always have to be too (once he's old enough), but people seem to understand the seriousness of allergies now more than they did when I was a kid.

Thank you for this. I did not hear that yet about the avocados. I know he currently eats mashed avocado and guacamole and has not had a reaction to it yet. if i would have heard that i probably never would have let him eat any of it though.

I have written up an emergency plan for his daycare, and for his provider to give to the ambulance in case of emergency, as well as one in my purse if I ever need to leave him with someone. I carry 2 epi pens.. one for daycare and one for his diaper bag/my purse.

I am reading labels on everything and his daycare provider has recently taken a first aide class for administering an epi pen... in case of emergency... co-parenting with his father on the other hand..... well.. I dont know how to make him fully understand the consequences.... SMH.... luckily hes with me everyday (when im not at work) so if he does come in contact hell be with me...

and i just thought i was over protective BEFORE he had a severe allergy... look out now... lol
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My sister has a severe allergic reaction to almonds. She can consume any other type of nut and even peanuts without any issues, but when even a small amount of almonds are consumed she is immediately struggling to breathe. People forget all the time so she is always asking and checking what is adding to food and specifically asks if almonds are used. She is usually careful not to consume foods that even have almond favoring because even those it is often fake it isn't always. She never had the allergy as a child, and it developed slowly from some slight tingling on her tongue when she had graduated high school to full blown suffocation and near heart failure 5 years later when she had been given some on accident in a cake that was supposed to have vanilla abstract instead of almond abstract. Her husband was skyping her (he was on tour in Kuwait at the time) when he saw her starting to seize, being clear across the world they only thing he could do was shout through skype at her oldest son to grab the epi pen that was in her dresser drawer. Had her son not been there, or Jeff not able to tell Mo where it was, my sister would be dead. She had no capability of moving, it was all she could do to breathe. Jeff also instructed Mo to call 911, he stayed on skype and spoke to the emts about what had occurred (my sister didn't have a bracelet, and Mo was 8). If she hadn't been talking to her husband, she would have died.
    Things she has learned:
    1) always have multiple epi pens, they are only helpful if you can get to them, so keep them in several places in the house, the sooner you get to it the better off you are
    2) always ask what is in food, even if it is family, people make mistakes - and always check labels - everytime
    3) make sure everyone knows where you keep the epi pens - if you aren't in the same room when he isn't able to breathe, the time it takes to find you and ask can cost him his life
    4) Notify everyone of his allergy, if a school knows someone has such an allergy they will ban the food from the premise, but they have to know
    5) when in doubt, don't eat it, seriously not worth it (in this case dont let your son eat it)
    6) always have a primary provider that knows his allergy and history (especially important if you move)
    7) post it in and around your house that the item is not allowed - almond is banned from my sisters house - she makes sure everyone knows this
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. I did not hear that yet about the avocados. I know he currently eats mashed avocado and guacamole and has not had a reaction to it yet. if i would have heard that i probably never would have let him eat any of it though.

I have written up an emergency plan for his daycare, and for his provider to give to the ambulance in case of emergency, as well as one in my purse if I ever need to leave him with someone. I carry 2 epi pens.. one for daycare and one for his diaper bag/my purse.

I am reading labels on everything and his daycare provider has recently taken a first aide class for administering an epi pen... in case of emergency... co-parenting with his father on the other hand..... well.. I dont know how to make him fully understand the consequences.... SMH.... luckily hes with me everyday (when im not at work) so if he does come in contact hell be with me...

and i just thought i was over protective BEFORE he had a severe allergy... look out now... lol

If he hasn't had a reaction to avocado, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just be aware. When I was originally tested as a kid, I was not allergic to avocado and I was able to eat it. I started getting hives from it a few years ago (I am now 31) and was re-tested about a year ago and it turns out I am now allergic. My allergist told me that there's a connection between that and my peanut allergy. A friend of mine who is also allergic to peanuts and avocados was told the same thing.
  • Dort68
    Dort68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my niece has these allergies...this is an extremely serious issue. if you are unsure about what to do or not do for your child you should talk to his doctor until you are sure of the dos and donts.

Actually, no. The ONLY trusted method of determining allergy is surviving an ANA reaction. Children younger than 5 do not have reliable results from SPT or Blood draw. Allergists have to take a careful family history and listen to what the parents have to say to determine if certain things are or might be allergy.

To the OP, I have been dealing with my son's food allergies for 5 years. His first reaction was anaphylaxis, resulting from touching a pita bread at 7 months. He has been epi'd three times, taken off by ambulance once and hopsitalized more times than I care to count.

My son has had an ANA reaction to: peanut, tree nuts, wheat, dairy, egg, rye, sesame, cinnamon. It was hard at first, but is MUCH easier to deal with now that we as a family have a handle on it.

I have a blog if you're interested, it tells a lot of our food allergy journey:

www.dorothy-lifewithboys.blogspot.com
  • Marcillene
    Options

Read labels, read labels, read labels! It doesn't matter if you've read that label for that product a million times, read it every time you get it: Companies are not required to notify the public if they change the ingredients of a product all they have to do is change it on the label.

Definitely keep educating yourself and when in doubt consider whatever it is a no-no item and keep it away from him. It may sound over cautious, but you want to protect that little guy as much as you can

I wonder if because he does eat yogurt/cheese and drink 1% milk now, if maybe the soy causes some of his eczema? never thought of that. he doesnt have the stomach issues with milk now though that he did as a baby...

If your son has eczema as well, he is just a highly allergic kid. The "trifecta" is usually food allergies, eczema, asthma. We read labels twice, first, before we buy a food, and second, before we give it to him. We assume foods are unsafe, particularly bakery goods, including many different breads. There's a really helpful brand you can buy called "Enjoy Life" which is free of the "Big 8" allergens. Their crunchy cookies are the best! See:

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/

Here's a helpful book you can read with him, to help him understand. My son really liked it!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bugabees-Friends-With-Allergies/dp/1592982794

Oh thank you! Yes he has the Pollen allergy, the food allergy, the Eczema, and the Rapid Airway Disease (Asthma)... His Immune system just likes to try and fight all the time I guess....

I will have to definitally look into this book!
  • Dort68
    Dort68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

If he hasn't had a reaction to avocado, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just be aware. When I was originally tested as a kid, I was not allergic to avocado and I was able to eat it. I started getting hives from it a few years ago (I am now 31) and was re-tested about a year ago and it turns out I am now allergic. My allergist told me that there's a connection between that and my peanut allergy. A friend of mine who is also allergic to peanuts and avocados was told the same thing.

The relation between peanuts and other allergies is really a new area being explored. Some is linked to OAS, which causes a reaction that SEEMS like ANA, but is not truly ANA. BUT---OAS can turn into a true allergic ANA reaction, so you have to be careful.
  • Marcillene
    Options

Actually, no. The ONLY trusted method of determining allergy is surviving an ANA reaction. Children younger than 5 do not have reliable results from SPT or Blood draw. Allergists have to take a careful family history and listen to what the parents have to say to determine if certain things are or might be allergy.

To the OP, I have been dealing with my son's food allergies for 5 years. His first reaction was anaphylaxis, resulting from touching a pita bread at 7 months. He has been epi'd three times, taken off by ambulance once and hopsitalized more times than I care to count.

My son has had an ANA reaction to: peanut, tree nuts, wheat, dairy, egg, rye, sesame, cinnamon. It was hard at first, but is MUCH easier to deal with now that we as a family have a handle on it.

I have a blog if you're interested, it tells a lot of our food allergy journey:

www.dorothy-lifewithboys.blogspot.com

Thank you! Yes my son a few weeks (probably a month ago) got an ANA episode... first one ever... to a piece of a cashew... he got kissed on the cheek by someone who had been drinking a proteing shake (which labeled May contain traces of tree nuts (pecans), peanuts)..

What symptoms do you wait for in order to administer the EpiPen? I guess my questioning comes from my thoughts... if he JUST gets the hives and rash and swelling of the eyes but no breathing troubles.. would you still administer> or fight with benadryl? my sons doctor has told me that when i administer epi pen, to make sure to take him to the hospital or call an ambulance because if/when the epi pen wears off you want him at a facility for emergency care or monitoring. He had a soy allergy as a baby, but since he was about 14 months he can drink/eat dairy products now.... could the allergies at all be related?
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My oldest son has a tree nut allergy. Carefully read labels on all food products. Some will sneak in the tree nut allergy tagline. "Luckily"-my son's reaction is only vomiting, The most recent reaction was at a party w/ my inlaws. Aidan and his cousins chose some of the desserts from the selection and the one that Aidan took a bite of was a Rochere?(chocolate/hazelnut ball). Since he was in the middle of the crowd of kids, no one saw what he ate until afterwards. I think that it was a late edition to the table, so no one was aware of it or a warning would have been issued beforehand. I wasn't there, but my hubby told me that he turned grey and looked terrible. It's been a quick learning process for us.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    My oldest son has a tree nut allergy. Carefully read labels on all food products. Some will sneak in the tree nut allergy tagline. "Luckily"-my son's reaction is only vomiting, The most recent reaction was at a party w/ my inlaws. Aidan and his cousins chose some of the desserts from the selection and the one that Aidan took a bite of was a Rochere?(chocolate/hazelnut ball). Since he was in the middle of the crowd of kids, no one saw what he ate until afterwards. I think that it was a late edition to the table, so no one was aware of it or a warning would have been issued beforehand. I wasn't there, but my hubby told me that he turned grey and looked terrible. It's been a quick learning process for us.

Do you have an epi pen to use if this occurs again? My son has the vomitting... but its constant.. the longest time in between maybe 10 seconds in between each episode... the longest chance he had to try and breath was just enough time to lay his head on my shoulder, and say 'mama i wanna go night night'... and i tried giving the breathing treatments and he kept vomitting still. He did this for the first 20 minutes after chewing the piece of cashew.. after the first 5 minutes of vomitting... it started spashling out the other end as well... yup all on me... poor kid never knew what hit him...
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,149 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have heard of lots of peanut ones...but mine is walnuts...and was surprised to see so many others here with a walnut allergy....had a reaction the other day to Almond Chicken....so yeah...(have eaten it before without issue) it can be hard to deal with sometimes, but that's usually when you're new to it. After that, it's a habit. check labels like others said for the "processed in a plant with tree nuts" etc...not too difficult to avoid...never thought there was any link to the pollen, dust, mold allergies....but I have those too....
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Wow! I have heard of lots of peanut ones...but mine is walnuts...and was surprised to see so many others here with a walnut allergy....had a reaction the other day to Almond Chicken....so yeah...(have eaten it before without issue) it can be hard to deal with sometimes, but that's usually when you're new to it. After that, it's a habit. check labels like others said for the "processed in a plant with tree nuts" etc...not too difficult to avoid...never thought there was any link to the pollen, dust, mold allergies....but I have those too....

Yeah i wasnt sure of a link between either! also, have you always had an allergy to walnuts or is it something you got after childhood? do you have to take severe steps in situations like the other day when you had a reaction.. or do you have milder symptoms?
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My husband is VERY allergic to cashews. His throat closes down if he even puts one on his tongue or close to his mouth! Over the years we have learned to look at ingredients on everything has nuts in it. One time the box of Whitman's didn't say anything about cashews and he ate a chocolate covered chopped nut and I had to hurry and get his med for him. But, after taking it he is out for 10-12 hours. Scary time! Just get use to reading everything and if he's old enough make sure he knows what to watch for. Good luck!