How many days a week do you run?

Options
I run about 3-4 days a week. However, I will be training for a 10k the next 8 weeks and was thinking about adding a few extra days. What are the pros and cons of running more or less days a week. Are there any of you who run 6-7 days a week?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Most training plans keep you at 4-5 days a week with some cross training thrown in as well. Cross training can be very beneficial to runners. Instead of running 6-7 days a week, why not run 4 days a week and do a day or two of cross training? Maybe some yoga, strength training or cycling? Plus, make sure to take at least 1 rest day a week.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Twice a week- usually 5 miles each time. I am also doing a 10K next month, but I do other exercise the other days to keep my endurance up.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I walk/run 4 to 5 miles including 125 flights of stairs 6 to 7 days a week and I love it. The only con is that I do have to take a rest day and I do that about every 10 days. My body and knees just seem to get tired after several dies in a row so I just give my self that rest day and I am good to go again. I say run more if you feel up to it and just see how it goes:smile:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    3-4 days is plenty. Instead of running more, try doing some cross training in between runs. As long as you do one long run a week and 2 short ones you should be fine. I used this method training for a half marathon and did just fine.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is currently my second attempt at adding a 5th day of running. Last time I tried in the six weeks I had after a half marathon before a 10k, I kept getting injured. Left calf pain to the point that I had to take a few days off. That time I was trying to run tues-fri and Sunday. Now I'm trying sun, mon and wed-fri. Hoping since I'm only doing 3 consecutive days this time it will take. I run 20+ a week now trying to get into the 25-30 range.

Anyway, the point is, be careful about adding extra days. You open yourself up to more injury. 4 days seems perfect for being able to do a decent amount of training without getting injured. I'm trying to add the 5th day because I really want to improve my half marathon time.

Good luck!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a marathon and I only run 4 days per week. I cross-train and strength train on two of the other days (usually biking) and ALWAYS take one rest day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run about 3-4 days a week. However, I will be training for a 10k the next 8 weeks and was thinking about adding a few extra days. What are the pros and cons of running more or less days a week. Are there any of you who run 6-7 days a week?

If you're training for a 10K 4 days a week is all you need (3 may even be sufficient). On your non-running days cross train (don't forget strength!) to address muscular imbalances and improve injury resistance.

Rather than adding days focus on adding distance on your long slow day. There are runners who have successfully run 7 days a week for years at a time but I'll guarantee that several of those days are very short 1 mile or so) and most of their runs at a very relaxed pace. Adding days cuts in to your recovery time (hence cross training).

My last half-marathon plan was 4 days per week.

Check out the training plans on Hal Higdon's web site, sometimes less is more!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My running plan says 3-4 with rest days and strength training. Honestly, listen to your body. Rest days are good but everyone is diffrent on how many they need.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Often 6 days, sometimes 7+ days in a row if I'm feeling alright, while mixing in some cross training and HIIT core/cardio on days with shorter runs. I'm thinking I should probably cut back a bit, and up my mileage on the other days.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    0 - I'm not a fan of running :)
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    maybe 1 or 2 now if im lucky..But i was at 3 or 4 a week when i was in a running group and actively training for my first 10k back in April..kinda just coasting now lol
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How important is your performance? Tell us a little about your background.

General rule of thumb is more = better as long as you won't overtrain/injure yourself. There come a point where piling on the training becomes counterproductive. When that point is is highly individualistic.

Does you current plan call for any speedwork is is it just distance?

If you're running 3-4x per week now, maybe 1-2x per month throw another day into the mix, an easy 3 miler.

Best running I ever did was 6x per week. Right now I'm doing 4 runs per week, building to 5, maybe 6 by the end of the year.
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first marathon after doing 3 halfs this year. My schedule calls for 3 runs per week with 2 or 3 days of cross training. I haven't been able to complete my weekday runs all at once because of time constraints and heat / humidity / air quality, so I have been splitting the short runs (running half in the AM, half in the PM, or running 4 or 5 days instead of 3) to get the miles in. I am hoping my body can do this! So far, so good with no injury, but boy am I sore!
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I run 6-7 days a week. I hit 52 miles last week, but my target is 40-45. I have run 4 marathons, and would like to do a 5th, but I need to get the weight off.

It's not for everyone. Many would recommend cross-training. (I also ice skate and do elliptical). I would recommend varying miles so if you do run 6 or 7 days a week, you have some days where you dont run as far. You can also vary your pace.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    3-4 days a week.
    1 day is running "Hills" (i.e. steep city hills)
    the remaining days are: Kickboxing, HIIT, and boot camps, heavy lifting