Starting Insanity - Need some advice

Options
Hello everyone - I have ordered Insanity but have not started due to concerns about my plantar fasciitis and heel spurs being a nuisance for this particular program. However I have lost a considerable amount of Lbs (35 since ordered) and have been getting pretty fit with other things so think it might be time to "dig deep" and start.

So far I am able to:

Swim for 2 hours (if enough food is consumed so I don't lack energy)
Run 3-4 miles (ran 5K in 31 mins)
Bike 10-12 miles
Play ball for 2+ hours (sometimes with very few breaks)

Now to my questions, I asked a friend who lost about 60+ pounds on Insanity, he has no issues with the first approach, so should I (also I am starting with another person so we have motivation to keep each other going):

1. Start 6 days a week as per the Insanity plan and follow it religiously?
2. Take it slow, do 3 days a week and maybe combine some other forms of exercise (biking/walking) during the off days?

Now in most cases since I wear my bball shoes I can jump pretty well without too much pain and I understand Insanity is a lot of jumping and fast paced moves.

Thanks for the advice, sorry for the long post.

Replies

• bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Bump
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Insanity is built to go at your pace, they say it is for beginners through advanced. I completed Insanity and was nowhere near able to do what you say you can do, you should be fine, drink lots of water and if you need a break take a break. Even Shaun T and his helpers take breaks during the workouts.
  • bullsfan22
    Options
    That's great, did you start with the normal schedule or did you do the revised 3 days a week method? I understand it is a go at your own pace thing but I am pretty competitive so if the other person sticks through I might end up going at full pace also.

Definitely gave me some confidence to try it with the normal schedule, thanks.
  • zeusbella
    zeusbella Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have 2.5 weeks to go in the program. Started with 50lbs to go. I haven't weighed myself during the process I am waiting till I am done. I do it 6 days a week, few time I only did 5 because I was traveling or something, but I replaced it with something else.

Try not make it too complicated, see what you can do at first then adjust as you go. Good Luck!
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I did normal Insanity Calendar, the biggest thing is to not get caught up on missing a day. If you get sick or are too sore etc. Just get back up and pick up where you left off. It is a 63 day process from beggining to end if it takes 70 days or so no big deal.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this. If you start with the 3 day a week calendar you will never really know if you can do 6 or not. If you start with the normal 6 day a week calendar and it is too much then at that point you can cut back to 4 or 3 or however many days you want to.

I did 6 days a week straight off the couch. I agree with jquijas, with what you can do already you'll be fine with 6 days a week. Just listen to your body, it will tell you what it wants.
  • bullsfan22
    Options
    All of you rock, thanks for the input. Will start with 6 and reevaluate after a few weeks.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing 6 days a week. Just remember there's nothing wrong with hitting pause (though the real challenge is not to :smile: ), and bear in mind Thursdays are "recovery" days. I came across a lot of Insanity veterans who dissed the Thursday routine and did other, more involved exercise instead, but I welcomed the lower impact day, as it broke up the week nicely. Also make sure you eat enough and drink lots of water.

Good luck!