How much to pay for a Personal Trainer?

Options
kimdyj
kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
So I met with my personal trainer yesterday. I think they set me up with him on purpose because he was super hot and he was around my age. We got down to the nitty gritty and it will be $140/month to meet with him once a week for an hour but I have to sign a year's contract. I think that is kind of steep. The trainers at my gym are required to get a degree and he's very professional and motivational. Am I getting a deal or should I pass on a fitness trainer???

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    In my area, that's a DEAL! I buy my training packages in a pack of 12 (the least expensive way they do it). It works out to $65 per session that way.

Your package, for a year (52 weeks?) would be only $32.31 per session. Wow...bargain! If you like the guy that is a REALLY good deal. I suspect if you pay monthly though, if you miss a week you're just out that money. Mine, I only pay for the days I am there.
  • ashmarie138
    ashmarie138 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I paid $128 a month for one half hour session each week and now I pay $224 for two half hour sessions each week, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal!
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    I wouldn't want to tie in for a year. I assume you already pay for the gym membership and the trainer will be on top of this? He may be superhot, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is the best trainer for you, because you have to have a good relationship. Also do you get chose the weekly slot? What happens if you are away/ ill?
    I pay on a session by session basis, and have a session about once a fortnight.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep, I pay $50/hour, and that's standard around here (packages through the gym are a smidge less, but not much). I would definitely do an intro session or minipackage with him first - even good trainers and good clients don't always match up, and you really don't want to get stuck with someone who isn't good for you.
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    He told me I will not lose any session if I can't make it, it will carry over. We did sit down and talk and we seem to connect. If I agree to a shorter contract, it will be a little more expensive, it will be $45/week for 3 months. You know how much shoes I can buy??? I'm still debating if I can give up my shoes for a trainer... LOL.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Where someone lives will play a huge part in the answer to this question. I live in DC and PT here is around $75-90/hr. ~$35/hr is a great price if you feel that you will learn from him. Don't feel pressured though. You are only going to get out of it what you put in.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Training rates vary drastically based on geographic location. My area, which is about 40 min outside of Philly, tends to be around 50-60 per session. So in that context, you're getting a deal. However, given the fact that most trainers in this industry are boobs, I'd be very hesitant to lock into one for a year without certainty of them being legit.

You have to trial trainers to figure out if a) they know what they're talking about and b) are you guys compatible. Good looks only go so far, lol.

I wrote a piece that was well-received by a lot of folks about how to assess a trainer. I can send it to you if you'd like.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I see you're in Ft. Wayne IN. I'm in Ann Arbor MI. Our rates will be higher than yours, but even adjusting for your geographic area, that's still a deal.

I agree, do a shorter session to start and make sure you like the trainer.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So I met with my personal trainer yesterday. I think they set me up with him on purpose because he was super hot and he was around my age. We got down to the nitty gritty and it will be $140/month to meet with him once a week for an hour but I have to sign a year's contract. I think that is kind of steep. The trainers at my gym are required to get a degree and he's very professional and motivational. Am I getting a deal or should I pass on a fitness trainer???

At my husbands gym its 10 Sessions for $200. He is a Cert Personal Trainer =)

Sounds like you have a great deal going on. Just depends on what your goals are. Going with a Cert. PT is probably your best bet since he/she will show you the correct way on working out.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Look at other offers in the area, tell them that you're looking at other offers in the area. Some personal trainers adjust their rates. What are the services offered to you for this amount? Just meeting once a week?
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip
  • MargaretSans
    MargaretSans Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would love to pay 140 a month. I was quoted at 3000 for the year. one session a week. The one trainer i spoke with also said he charges 600 for his nutrition plan and wont train me if i dont do the nutrition part
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER sign up for a year. How do you know you guys will work well together? You also might find out he's a bro, then what? Youre stuck?
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I would love to pay 140 a month. I was quoted at 3000 for the year. one session a week. The one trainer i spoke with also said he charges 600 for his nutrition plan and wont train me if i dont do the nutrition part

And...there I'd be OUT. My trainer will give me nutrition advice if I want it, but she knows that I've been successful doing my own thing. I've been taking classes from her on and off for almost 10 years.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    $0.00
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    I thnk that is a great price; but I'd be careful about a year contract.

Sixth months might be ok.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Mine was $50/ hour and worth it!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    can you do a month paying for every session?
    3 month also is a lot if you don't connect. if he is not willing to give you 3-4 sessions without a contract (charged per session) then something is off...
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    That is a good price. I bought a 12 session package that comes out to $40 for each 30 min session. I also got the first 2 sessions free before I bought the package.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    $1680 for 52 hour long sessions is a FANTASTIC price. In my area (upstate NY), PT prices range from $40-80 an hour, depending on the gym you go to and the package you get (the more sessions in a package, the lower the cost per session). My gym does 30 minute sessions normally (although you can go for an hour if you want, it would just count as two sessions), so I usually see my trainer once or twice a week for 30 minutes each. My gym had a black friday special a couple of years ago with a TON of sessions for a crazy low price, which I'll use up by the end of the summer (I took a 9 month break from seeing him, while he was out getting and then recuperating from double knee surgery)....but the package put me at like $15 per half hour session for like 100 sessions (it was almost 2 years ago, so the exact figure is escaping me right now :laugh:), but I had to pay for it all within 6 months.