Need help with picnic ideas for dietary issues

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
I'm having friends over for an afternoon at the beach this Saturday. Their kids have dietary issues and I'm at a loss on what to serve. Ideally, I'd like a cold picnic, but could cook a hot lunch at home. Anyhow, I need suggestions for a Gluten and Dairy Free menu for 3 of the children attending. The adults and other kids can eat anything, but I don't want to make two separate meals. Any ideas?

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Are you still looking to keep it vegetarian? How picky are they?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I posted this for a friend. Not vegetarian.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Crudite with hummus dip, fruits, sandwiches on gluten-free bread like PB&J, tuna, etc. Cold chicken legs/wings. Bean salads. You really aren't as limited as you think.

You could look at paleo and gluten-free cookbooks for other ideas. There are usually a lot of free kindle books available.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    basics- Grilled meats, veg, fruit.

Deviled eggs or egg salad, chicken salad, potato salad, coleslaw- all made with mayo base not dairy.

make chocolate dip for fruit with dairy-free chocolate and almond milk.

make honey mustard veggie dip- mayo, dijon mustard, honey

purchase gluten-free chips or crackers, they are getting easier to find
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    quinoa salad - cooked cooled quinoa; cooked, rinsed beans; assorted chopped vegetables; vinaigrette dressing (you could also substitute rice noodles for the quinoa for a pasta salad)

veggie sticks w/ peanut butter

fruit salad

tuna, egg or chicken salad on endive leaves or rolled in collard green leaves or on gluten free rice crackers

deviled eggs
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    PB & J's on gluten free bread and Enjoy Life Chocolate Chip cookies would be my choice. Maybe an apple or banana added as well.

the cookies:
    sub-soft-choco.png
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free. My picnics generally involve cold rotisserie chicken, fruit salad, hummus with veggies/ blue diamond pecan crackers, a vinegar based coleslaw, and baked beans.
  • LyleMcCracken
    LyleMcCracken Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wraps with lettuce instead of a tortilla, fresh veggies and fruit as sides. Quick, easy to clean up, all could be finger food.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Seconded on the cold rotisserie chicken. (Check the label - I know Sam's Club markets theirs as allergen-free, and I have never had a problem with it personally. Plus it's hella cheap.) I'd eat the hell out of that, personally, but I'm not a kid. :) Fruit/raw veg plates, gluten-free crackers (check the labels for dairy), sliced cold-cuts (again, check for dairy) with lettuce for wraps if they like, finger jello and applesauce.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Gluten and dairy free picnic stuff is actually not terribly difficult to manage.

If you can keep it cold somehow, a roasted chicken is fantastic. Fruits, veggies, and tortilla chips (or some regular chips, but read the labels carefully and look out for anything that says wheat, barley, or malt) are also good things to include.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I think corn tortillas and chips made with just masa flour are gluten free, so any wraps done with corn tortillas or chips and salsa would be fine.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    A cake made with ground almonds rather than flour would be a nice treat. My friend's litte boy is allergic to eggs and she's always thrilled when we make a cake he can eat because that's what he misses out on normally.