Difficulty hitting protein goal?

Options
I am curious if any one else is having difficulty hitting their protein goal? MFP goal for myself, for example, says I should be aiming for 119 grams of protein. That seems rather high to me as a baseline. I would love to hear others feelings towards this and also any suggestions on getting an adequate amount.

Let me add I work night shift in an Emergency Department and rarely have time to eat as often as I would like. So suggestions on shakes/bars or something I could grab and go would be amazing! Thanks!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i aim for about 120g and dont really struggle with that.

lean meat like turkey/chicken in a salad, or tuna.

fat free greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, i have ham as a snack sometimes, or prawns or calamari.

if you're really struggling, a protein shake will help, but if you build your day around the protein, you shouldnt struggle to get that much really.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Because you're basing your meals off carbs and fats instead of protein.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am hitting about 160 grams at the moment...chicken breast, eggs, protein powder, greek yoghurt, chia seeds, tuna oh and more chicken breast ;)
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Eating canned tuna and cottage cheese help me a lot. Sometimes I even mix 'em together! Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular yogurt but I personally don't like it. Try mixing protein powder into oatmeal, yogurt etc. Make a peanut butter sandwich but mix the protein powder with the peanut butter? Best of luck!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    150-200g of protein pr day for me.. to get it without protein powder I eat kesam/skyr (milk product, kinda like yoghurt), chicken breasts, eggs, and cheese. Fish is also good. Usually I use protein powder with the foodstuff though.. only so much chicken I am willing to eat per day :P
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I start off the day with scrambled egg whites to boost my protein levels,
  • allweatherheather
    Options
    I have the same problem because I don't eat much meat and shouldn't eat much soy. I am a former vegetarian and can't make myself eat a hunk of meat or a on of egg at EVERY meal! nuts, whole grains, beans and dairy are just not getting me to my goal of about 125 g a day either. i hope you get tips that work for you!
  • acceber88
    acceber88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eggs and tuna I find are the best way to get all my protein. You can do so much with an egg too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I aim for 100 grams and usually get close. I eat eggs, protein bars, peanuts, and such. I have also found that certain veggies and grains will help boost the total. Every gram helps. :smile:
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Not at all, even as a RNY patient. I hit around 120 grams a day. I eat a lot of eggs, tuna, chicken, turkey and generally have one Quest Bar a day, which is 20 grams itself.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hit much higher than that a day without using bars or shakes. Like a previous poster said, plan your day around your protein instead of carbs/fat and it isn't that hard. My diary is open if you want to take a peek.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I aim for 130+ and have no problem with that, even without powder. Look at my diary. I'll hit 142 even without my post-weights protein supplement.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming a day?

But I agree with a lot of other posters. I don't have any problem hitting 120 grams a day or more. Lean meats, greek yogurt, milk, some protein powder or a bar now and again, chicken and lots and lots of tilapia when I'm keeping the calories low.

Base your meals around protein and not around the bread or pasta or salad. Those are the side item to the protein.

Canned salmon is an excellent source, and you can carry it with you wherever you go without it spoiling. Add a little greek yogurt and some capers and it's very tasty. I also grind up flax seed and toss it in mine.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    steak, chicken, pork, turkey helps but make sure you eat plenty of veggies. steak, chicken, pork, turkey supply fat and protien and the veggies help supply carbs.
    When you choose steak try any steaks that say round in them. there normally leaner less fat and surprisingly low calories. 4 oz only being 140-180. also it doesnt say it but most meats also contain potassium. no idea why they dont list in oon there label but i belive they should by law list everything and not let a thing be left out
  • Tashie_bailiff
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and advice. I'm going to plan some different meals out for this next grocery trip. I will add that I am not a fan of seafood or any fish products other than the rare tuna. I'm going to try out a few different recipes in the near future to increase my flavor palette and food options :)