Heart rate monitor suggestions?

Options
I'm wanting to get a heart rate monitor, but probably need to spend under $50. Suggestions? Later on, I may get something more "advanced," but this fresh-out-of-college-paying-student-loans girl has a tight budget!

Replies

• Spazgirl0228
    Options
    Polar FT4 ! I love mine :)
  • Kaymegan90
    Kaymegan90 Posts: 35
    Options
    Polar FT4 ! I love mine :)
    Can you get one for less than $50??
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    I'm looking to buy one too, so I'm looking fwd to more ppl commenting on this. I hear buying the cheap ones is a waste of money because they are very inaccurate.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find polar heart rate monitors accurate -- the basic mechanism for heart rate is the same regardless. What you get for more $$ is the ability to track your heart rate through your exercise and record it to your computer, laps, ability to recall, etc. If you just want to know what your heart rate is at a given time, or your average heart rate is while you run the stopwatch a period of time, then the basic one will be good. If you want to set zones and have it beep and be able to recall more periods of exercise you have to pay more for various features. If you look at the polar website you can find the matrix of features the HRMs have and decide how much you need and how much you'll have to pay. Then you can actually find used HRM on Ebay if you want a nicer one for less $.
  • i1984
    i1984 Posts: 27
    Options
    I recently started using my Polar FT7. I think its in the middle of the pack for the polar brand. It certainly has performed well, so I think it is safe to say it's a great bang for your buck. I unfortunately can't compare it to anything else other then the gym machines, and it certainly gives me a more comfortable reading for HR and calories burned then the machines. Another thing to keep your eye out for is the polar brand on the machine, if it has it, then the machine reads directly from the HRM, nifty at best. So, in closing, I think it's only worth the investment if you're truly dedicated to working out. Another feeling I get, is sometimes I feel like Matt Damon from the upcoming movie Elysium with all these devices and wires attached to me from headphones, iPods, etc... Good luck and keep up the good work people.
  • jfurrrr
    jfurrrr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recently started using my Polar FT7. I think its in the middle of the pack for the polar brand. It certainly has performed well, so I think it is safe to say it's a great bang for your buck. I unfortunately can't compare it to anything else other then the gym machines, and it certainly gives me a more comfortable reading for HR and calories burned then the machines. Another thing to keep your eye out for is the polar brand on the machine, if it has it, then the machine reads directly from the HRM, nifty at best. So, in closing, I think it's only worth the investment if you're truly dedicated to working out. Another feeling I get, is sometimes I feel like Matt Damon from the upcoming movie Elysium with all these devices and wires attached to me from headphones, iPods, etc... Good luck and keep up the good work people.

Lol. I feel the same way.
  • Kaymegan90
    Options
    Hmm... definitely going to need to do some research, then!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40, which I paid about 100 bucks for and I have since learned that I over spent.
    I had no clue what I was looking for when I bought it.
    I could have gotten the FT7 and been very happy. (not that I have any complaints about mine).

I did see some HRM's on clearance at Target the other day, if you need a bargain for now.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    I tried out the Polar FT4 & FT40 before I settled for the Bluetooth H6 (make sure you get H6 and not H7 as the H7 has horrible reviews), with the bluetooth strap you do not need a watch and can monitor your rate via the Polar Beat iPhone app that also uploads and tracks your progress to their website! I use my iphone for ALL everything else and for $56 (on amazon) vs $100+, it was a deal and 3 weeks into Insanity, I haven't had any problems. :]

Edited: for more deets.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think there's a Bowflex Heart Rate Monitor on Groupon for $12.99. You can also try eBay.
  • dixieracer27
    dixieracer27 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 and I got it off amazon, and I believe it was around 62.00. I know th exact same model sells at a local sporting store for double that. It has been my best purchase besides my gym membership in losing weight.
  • knitjogread
    Options
    I'll add my name to the Polar folks. I think I paid around $60 on Amazon and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made for myself. It makes me want to exercise more and burn more calories. It is a big motivator. It was also scary how much difference there would be between MFP calories burned and my HRM calories burned (some people argue MFP might be more accurate, but I don't agree). For instance, one hour of Zumba supposedly burned 650 calories for me according to MFP. According to my HRM, it was around 425.....Big difference if you are eating your exercise calories (which I try not to do).
  • PrincessMonica05
    Options
    I agree with Polar FT4. I love mine! I paid $55 because I had a coupon code and it was free shipping,. Message me and I can send you the coupon code. I have had mine over a year and I am so happy I did!!
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If all you want to do is check your heart rate occasionally you might want to look at the finger tip watches, where you put your finger tip against a place on the watch to check your heart rate. My daughtrer and I were looking at some at Walmart for about $30 and I think Walmart had chest strap models for around $55.

I have 2, a Timex and a Garmin. Both use chest straps.

My Timex is okay for heart rate, but, bluetooth interferes and can cause the watch and strap to become disconnected.

My Garmin works well and does not lose signal as easily. The Garmin has a fitness app so the watch can download information to my Windows computer which is useful.

Both my Garmin and my Timex cost more than $50.

PS: I thought novacasserole had a good point about the Bluetooth strap and a phone app if you have iPhone or Android. That might be useful....
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft4, got mine online, it was around $70 :)
  • Kaymegan90
    Options
    My goal with it would be to wear it whenever I'm exercising - whether that means spin class, my elliptical workouts, my short and long distance runs, or dance. I don't know much about how they work, but I'm assuming one that can track how many calories I burn per activity would be ideal. Is that basically what they do? Can you essentially hit a start and stop button around a workout and get a good calorie burn rating?
  • jdayer
    jdayer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My goal with it would be to wear it whenever I'm exercising - whether that means spin class, my elliptical workouts, my short and long distance runs, or dance. I don't know much about how they work, but I'm assuming one that can track how many calories I burn per activity would be ideal. Is that basically what they do? Can you essentially hit a start and stop button around a workout and get a good calorie burn rating?

My Garmin does, my Timex does not. If you check out the Apps section on the MyFitnessPal website there are applications that work with heart rate monitors and if that is your goal I think Novacaserole probably had the least expensive suggestion. Get an app that works with My Fitness Pal, a bluetooth heart monitor strap. and your phone, if you have an Android or an iPhone.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bump
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Another for the Polar ft4. I love it and use it every time I exercise. I have definitely gotten my money's worth. I got it from best buy for $70 I think.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Yes the polar ft4 has a band you wear under your chest. It transmits to your watch. It is really easy to use, you click start and start working out. It shows your calories burned, heart rate and tells you if you are in your zone. You input your settings, like weight height.,etc.

You can pause it or stop all together. I love the pause, since I have kids and need to pause it quite a bit to tend to them.