Running and Calorie burn

Options
Hi gang...so I've started run/walking a few times a week, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate calorie burn. The exercise data base offers a "walking at 4mph" or "running at 5 mph".

Now....on my tracking devise I'm averaging about a 13-14 minute mile. Do I calculate for the walking at 4 or ....what?? I know running burns more calories than walking so I'm not entirely certain how to figure this out (I never was a math whiz).

Help, insight, and answers are all appreciated - oh, and enjoy your holiday weekend everyone!!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I picked up a heart rate monitor at Wal-mart for under $30. I would just go to the exercise tab, maybe under walking and enter the time I exercised. Then manually enter the calorie burned from the heart rate monitor. MFP will record it that way.
  • cathyalmand
    Options
    when i use t run an 11 something mile (i was slllooow) i would burn about 100 cals a mile.....and now when i run a 10 min mile i still burn 100 cals a mile.....ive always read doesnt matter how fast you run u will burn about 100 cals per mile lol....dont know how true that is but it seems to be the trend im seeing..
  • mommaprinn
    mommaprinn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The best way to accurately calculate calorie burn is with a heart rate monitor. They are relatively in expensive (under $100) and very accurate. Be sure to get one with a chest strap, they are a bit more expensive but waaaay more accurate than just the wrist watch type. I have one made by Polar ($90 on heartratemonitor.com), it is an excellent training devise and great for improving the quality of your workout. No math skill involved, just set it and go!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I run about the same pace as you, and I usually take turns running and walking. Now that I have a HRM, I realize that I'm actually burning more than I thought I was (I am 5'4'' 139 lbs.)... I would use the Jogging 5.0mph to estimate, especially if you are running outside. On a treadmill it may be a little less unless you add some incline. Of course, the best thing to do would be to get a HRM, since everything else is really just an estimate. Gosh, I don't know if that helps or not!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There have been studies that say a 140 lb woman should burn 100 calories per mile. Now if you weigh more or less than that your burn will be different. I burn about 60 calories per mile, walking, and around 80-90 running depending on how fast I'm running. The reason there's a change when you run is due to your heart rate increase. The higher your heart rate, the more caloric burn you see.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I run a 14 min mile and burn about 100 cals for every 10 mins of running.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to get a HRM then you can just enter in the amt of time you spent walking and the amt of time you spent running on the exercise page and MFP will combine them for your total burn/time.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Take your weight X .70 (70%) and its many calories per mile regardless of speed.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi gang...so I've started run/walking a few times a week, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate calorie burn. The exercise data base offers a "walking at 4mph" or "running at 5 mph".

Now....on my tracking devise I'm averaging about a 13-14 minute mile. Do I calculate for the walking at 4 or ....what?? I know running burns more calories than walking so I'm not entirely certain how to figure this out (I never was a math whiz).

Help, insight, and answers are all appreciated - oh, and enjoy your holiday weekend everyone!!

The problem is that the equations used to estimate energy expenditure during running are only valid for speeds of 5.0 mph and above.

Below that speed, there is too much variety between individuals (stride length, form, etc) to develop accurate equations for energy expenditure.

So--there is no table or formula available for running speeds under 5.0 mph. All I can tell you is that your calories per hour will be between 4.2 and 7.0 times your body weight in kilograms.