Fruit

Options
I am trying to watch the amount of sugar I am eating daily, but i am having a hard time finding any fruit that is lower in the amount of grams of sugar per serving. It seems as if watermelon, for one cup, is the lowest with 10 grams of sugar. Considering that I am trying to not eat more than 20g of sugar per day, this doesn't leave me with a lot of options. I love fruit and hate to give it up... Suggestions anyone as to a fruit you know of that may have less sugar?

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid most fruit, and eat more veggies. I have a bit of watermelon with breakfast or lunch, but that's about it. Sugar in any form doesn't agree well with me, so I just don't eat it. But good luck on your search!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    To be honest 2 or 3 servings of fruit is not bad for you regardless of the NATRUAL SUGAR IN IT. I would not worry about the sugar content in it. There are other thing like fiber that help balace it out. I dont understand why people want to cut fruit out. IT is full of vitamin minerals and fiber
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about the natural sugar in fruit. It's the sugar is processed food and sugar we add to food that you have to watch out for.
  • melodieRN
    Options
    Watermelon is actually a high glycemic food, go for berries. The worst are pineapple and banana.
    Here is a list i found for you on glycemic foods. There is a listing for fruits.
    http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Added sugars are the things to avoid...sugar that is in processed foods. Naturally occurring sugar isn't a bad thing :). Enjoy your fruit!

If I'm over my sugar goal, I can almost always pinpoint a man-made food as the culprit. Even the healthy ones often have sugar of some sort added (honey, etc.).
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Exactly what the last few people have said.....fruit is a natural sugar and good for you....but I never eat fruit unless I have some protein with it, and even though most fruit has fiber, I try to eat fiber also so that it will slow the breakdown of the sugar,,,,,hope this helps......oh, and I find I no longer have cravings for sweets and I think it is because I eat atleast 3 servings of fruit a day....so any fruit has to be better than a candy bar, HA!!
  • melodieRN
    Options
    Granted sugar in fruit is better than processed but sugar makes you crave sugar. The low glycemic the better and you won't crave. I am a sugar holic and until I tried limiting sugar even in fruit did i realize the effect it had on me. A diebetic doctor told me sugar is sugar, it is all broken down into one end product and the end result is a rise in blood sugar. Combine a protein anytime you eat a sugar and it will speed up your metobolism and counter the effects of the sugar.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Granted sugar in fruit is better than processed but sugar makes you crave sugar. The low glycemic the better and you won't crave. I am a sugar holic and until I tried limiting sugar even in fruit did i realize the effect it had on me. A diebetic doctor told me sugar is sugar, it is all broken down into one end product and the end result is a rise in blood sugar. Combine a protein anytime you eat a sugar and it will speed up your metobolism and counter the effects of the sugar.

i agree. sugar is sugar. fruit may be better for you than processed yogurt or chocolate candy bar or high fructose corn syrup bread, but the effect of the sugar is still the same in the body. here is a list i keep tacked on my frig:

Fruits Lowest in Sugar
    •Small Amounts of Lemon or Lime
    •Rhubarb
    •Raspberries
    •Blackberries
    •Cranberries

Fruits Low to Medium in Sugar
    •Strawberries
    •Casaba Melon
    •Papaya
    •Watermelon
    •Peaches
    •Nectarines
    •Blueberries
    •Cantaloupes
    •Honeydew Melons
    •Apples
    •Guavas - Pineapple Guavas (Feijoa) and Strawberry Guavas are probably similar, but information that directly compares them is not available
    •Apricots
    •Grapefruit

Fruits Fairly High in Sugar
    •Plums
    •Oranges
    •Kiwifruit
    •Pears
    •Pineapple

Fruits Very High in Sugar
    •Tangerines
    •Cherries
    •Grapes