Staying motivated - not getting bored

Options
Hi All,

I found my niche a few months ago - listening to a new, upbeat playlist, new romance, successes at work, lost some weight quick. I was riding that high and keeping the healthy eating, exercise going like a CHAMP.

After two months, the "newness" and excitement of all of these things at once started to wear off. I want so desparatly to continue my steadfast, healthy living but I can feel the boredom creeping in. I'm just not as motivated anymore, and work is just so dang busy too.

Anyone have any tips to keep that crazy motivation level nice and high? What has worked for you when you felt really bored, frustrated, too busy with life, etc to keep the success train rolling?

Replies

• BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Are you setting small goals for yourself?

Example: Walk 30 miles a month
    Lose 10lbs a month
    Drink 100oz of water a day
    Eat 85% of meals as clean as possible (mostly fresh veges and fruit)

meeting small goals really helped me and once I did I set new ones. That always kept things fresh.
    If walking's not your thing maybe try kickboxing or something, you can get the Les Mills Combat and do the DVDs at home, so when you feel like you look like an idiot trying some of the moves no ones watching you :) Maybe switch it up walk a few days then do something else like biking, or combat or something else. When I was trying to just do one thing like the Combat DVD I got bored to easy. But running is my thing so I've been improving my distance and then once I get my distance to my goal I will try to improve my time.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I used to motivate myself with prizes for every howevermany days I went without missing a workout. Now my reward for not missing a workout is getting to work out, but it took awhile to get there. (Like... over a year of not missing any workouts. YMMV.)

Constant progress helps - pick an exercise. Kick its *kitten* (while not neglecting any of your other exercises, obviously). When you set a new PR you're proud of, pick a new exercise. Repeat until you are a golden god of fitness. :smile:
  • zdawg77
    zdawg77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Lose 10lbs a month

meeting small goals really helped me and once I did I set new ones. That always kept things fresh.

Yes that is my new strategy. It is so great to hear that this has been working for you over a longer period of time! It gives me hope.

Like many people, in the past I would set crazy goals, be great at it for a month or two, and then life would catch up with me and I would neglect my exercise, change in diet, etc. For example, this past spring I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks. But of course at week 7, work and the personal life was getting a little crazy and I slowly began slipping from my drastic dietary changes. 20 pounds are back, now.
  • zdawg77
    zdawg77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to motivate myself with prizes for every howevermany days I went without missing a workout. Now my reward for not missing a workout is getting to work out, but it took awhile to get there. (Like... over a year of not missing any workouts. YMMV.)

Constant progress helps - pick an exercise. Kick its *kitten* (while not neglecting any of your other exercises, obviously). When you set a new PR you're proud of, pick a new exercise. Repeat until you are a golden god of fitness. :smile:

I like the "prizes" idea - I will take all of the positive motivation, feedback, rewards I can get! Hopefully I can get back to the place where the workout is the reward, too. That seems so long ago for me....but I will try not to forget that long lost phase of my life.

Progress helps too - YES! Although I find it backfires for me sometimes if I make that progress externally motivated, such as trying to look good for others (instead of myself). Thats why I LOVE your "mastery" approach. I want to feel like I've kicked it's *kitten* too.
  • rinaznet
    rinaznet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I find that joining events is very motivating. Being around with people to complete a goal is exhilirating! Earlier this year, I did a half marathon so prior to that I had a timetable for training up to that day, so it keeps me focused and motivated up to the actual day :-)

Perhaps you might want to find something similar in your area
  • BadassCrossfitMama
    BadassCrossfitMama Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Lose 10lbs a month

Yes that is my new strategy. It is so great to hear that this has been working for you over a longer period of time! It gives me hope.

Like many people, in the past I would set crazy goals, be great at it for a month or two, and then life would catch up with me and I would neglect my exercise, change in diet, etc. For example, this past spring I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks. But of course at week 7, work and the personal life was getting a little crazy and I slowly began slipping from my drastic dietary changes. 20 pounds are back, now.

I like that you said "life takes over". It took me about 2 weeks to understand that this IS my new life and that nothing can take over what needs and is going to get done (by that I mean going out for my run/walks 4-5 days a week) Death, Job loss, Illness, girl issues, vacation, NOTHING. I have faith that you will get this done. I'll be there rooting for you the whole way! You got this, this time for life!!