Special K?

Options
So Ive always wondered about the whole Special K challenge thing. Cereal just doesnt seem very appetizing TWICE a day EVERY day... BUT i have started using the protein shakes for a lunch meal replacement. The chocolate ones are actually pretty tasty :smile:

Anyone ever tried the special k challenge?

Replies

• JRChadwick
    JRChadwick Posts: 52
    Options
    I would never do that. Eating the same things every day just doesn't seem like a good idea. And I don't like to limit myself to three meals per day. I usually have at least five.

A serving of cereal is, at most, 150 calories usually? For just one cup? Not enough food for a third of your day. If any meal is going to be larger than the others, I try to make that my breakfast. Maybe the Special K protein shakes have more, I don't know. If you are going to use small meals like that for the standard three meal day, then of course you are going to loose weight, because of the calorie deficit. But you won't be happy doing it because you will be hungry. And being very hungry at night makes it difficult to keep that dinner sensible.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nope. Temporary changes get ya temporary results, and there's no way I'm drinking a Special K shake for lunch for the rest of my life. :wink:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever tried the special k challenge?
    yeah, my mother in law has.

she lost some weight. when she got tired of eating all of that cereal, she stopped.. and went back to real food.

she gained every pound plus some back. Know what she did then? Tried another fad. Same thing.

Just use this website, eat enough, manage your intake.. count your calories. Get a food scale, weight and log everything. Eat real food.

AVOID FADS.

ETA: I know you didn't ask, but I'm offering this bit of advice too. Your profile says that you're 22. If you're that young, doing insanity workouts, but only at a 1200 calorie goal for the day.. something isn't right. Go back and change your settings from "2lbs per week" and "Sedentary"
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, it's not like you ONLY eat cereal, more cereal and a normal dinner. The challenge specifically tells you to also eat 2 healthy snacks of fruits, veggies or lowfat dairy.

I have tried it - only for two weeks, though. It wouldn't be sustainable or even healthy for longer periods of time. I just had about half an inch to lose to fit into a dress more comfortably for a wedding and it got me there.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing the Special K challenge, but I do eat/drink some of the Special K products. I really like their dark chocolate protein drink. I drink it in the morning before my 3 mile walk. I've never done the cereal thing from Special K so I can't speak for that. I did recently purchase some Special K Pastry Crisps (oreo flavored!) to try. I also think they're popped chips are pretty good (sour cream and onion, individual bags). I don't do their products everyday except the protein drink. I prefer real food most of the time, but the quick snacks they offer taste pretty good and fit in my calorie goals most days. I also do FiberOne brownies... they have these new coffee cake and chocolate chip cookie brownies that are really good. I have a major sweet tooth, so things like that seem to work well for me. Don't think I'd follow the Special K Challenge as an actual diet though, I like variety too much.
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not the challenge but I am doing weight watchers and the special k chocolate caramel crisps are only 3 points- and absolutely delicious!
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    I tried it, and failed, i was always hungry to the point it made me feel dizzy
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The Hindi ad voiceover says (and I translate)..

"People who have breakfast like Special K are healthier than those who skip breakfast."

I rest my case. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    IT WORKS.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, I would never want to do a challenge like that. However, I do sometimes eat special K morning flat bread sandwiches and the brown sugar crisps. Some of their food is yummy and low calorie for snacks and extra additions.
  • moonflower0906
    Options
    I did it a few years ago with my roommates. So you're supposed to lose 6 lbs in 2 weeks.

They all gained weight. I lost 8 lbs in 10 days and kept it off. With that said, I would have to go to bed really early because I was too tired to function. I also haven't had Special K since. Ever. I couldn't take the 2 bowls of cereal a day so I ate salads without dressing. The sight of Special K terrifies me now.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Since I am already eating a healthy diet I would probably gain weight from adding a cereal that consists of white rice, wheat gluten, and sugar to my diet. Plus cereal always makes me hungry an hour later where as protein rich foods leave me full.

I imagine if you are eating the cereal instead of fast food you could lose weight.
  • lovejenny333
    Options
    I've tried it too and failed, was always just too hungry on it. Does anyone have any other good ideas for similar challenges? I just joined and am looking to start dieting and exercising but need ideas!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • amybeth816
    Options
    I've also ready that Special K really isn't that healthy for a breakfast food as it doesn't contain much fiber and the carbs are simple carbs which digest quickly and leave you hungry soon after. I recommend rolled oats with berries and almonds added in. This keeps me full for a LONG time!!!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    No. Special K has high fructose corn syrup, and I try to avoid that and other forms of added sugar unless they come in the form of cake or chocolate :happy:
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I've tried it too and failed, was always just too hungry on it. Does anyone have any other good ideas for similar challenges? I just joined and am looking to start dieting and exercising but need ideas!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

similar challenges or changes that will make a difference?

Here's a challenge.

Eat real foods, maintain a caloric deficit, avoid fad diets/challenges. If you just started and you're already looking for fads and challenges, this isn't going to last.
  • SansyPansy
    SansyPansy Posts: 17
    Options
    I was just sorta curious. I wouldnt like to limit myself to a certain meal.. getting bored of what youre eating just leads to giving up and eating something you're not supposed to. Ive found that eggs for breakfast leaves me full even up to lunch time.. so i drink the special k protein drinks for lunch along with fruit or veggies for a snack around 2-3 in the afternoon.

I have a bunch of the pastry crisps.. they're a good alternative when i get a wicked craving for something sweet that I cant ignore. :tongue:

And the reason my profile says sedentary is because I have a desk job. I literally sit at my desk ALL day long. Yes I go home and do insanity after work but thats all I really do. Is that enough to say I'm not sedentary? If it is.. hey ill take it! :wink:
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    I've tried Special K challenge a long, long time ago. It was horrible to load up on sugar, because that's what it was, just sugar, sugar, and more sugar. I felt hungry all the time, to the point that my stomach was growling. And yes, calorie-wise, it comes up very low (that's considering you eat a normal dinner). And yes, it is boring and not satisfying.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I was just sorta curious. I wouldnt like to limit myself to a certain meal.. getting bored of what youre eating just leads to giving up and eating something you're not supposed to. Ive found that eggs for breakfast leaves me full even up to lunch time.. so i drink the special k protein drinks for lunch along with fruit or veggies for a snack around 2-3 in the afternoon.

I have a bunch of the pastry crisps.. they're a good alternative when i get a wicked craving for something sweet that I cant ignore. :tongue:

And the reason my profile says sedentary is because I have a desk job. I literally sit at my desk ALL day long. Yes I go home and do insanity after work but thats all I really do. Is that enough to say I'm not sedentary? If it is.. hey ill take it! :wink:

if you're working out, you aren't sedentary.