Confused about weight lifting!

Options
SJLS2013
SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
I have seen some great result on MFP of some women lifting (the recent "Women lifting heavy - with pics" thread) and I want in!

I have 2x 2.2lbs dumbbells and 2x 13lbs dumbbells at home. I use the 2.2lb ones for the 30DS (and it's hard work!) and the 13lbs ones for bicep curls and triceps extensions. I don't have space at home for anything other than dumbbells and not much room for the 4 I've got!

I am a member of the gym, but I'm too scared to go in the weights room. I like to do various exercises using a Bosu and 6.6lb dumbbells, i don't know the names of the moves but lifting the weights to the side, out in front and up.

But what sorts of weight and exercises should I be doing to get the sorts of results I'm seeing on the threads?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You are going to need to get over your fear of the weight room. I know it can be scary at first, but it is really no big deal.

You need to start reading about strength training and find a beginners program that appeals to you.

Some good books are Starting Strength, 5/3/1, and New Rules of Lifting for Life. They also have strength training programs in each book that work well.

You are also going to need to study proper form, Youtube is great for this. And always start out light, warm up properly, and progress the weight slowly through your workouts.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You need to hit the free weight section. 4 main lifts: bench press, overhead press, squat, deadlift. Watch videos online to see how to do them. Get on the strong lifts 5x5 web page. Read New Rules of Lifting, consider reading Starting Strength. Start with the 45 pound bar and work on form.

What you are doing with the 6.6 pound weights are lateral raises and front raises, and those are shoulder isolation moves that will do nothing for the rest of your physique.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What they said.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Get educated first on proper form. I was CLUELESS and ended up hurt my back and shoulder in the beginning.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started and I really love it. I had a friend set me up with a basic routine for me to start getting comfortable and I am already ready to move up weights and try some new things. Does your gym offer trainers? If so, ask them to show you how to use stuff and let them know your goals. Currently I use the cable machine for bicep curls, tricep extensions, lat pull downs, and rows, and eventually I will do the first 2 with free weights. I do arnolds with free weights and then use the leg press machine. I am chubby and weak and it was a bit daunting to start, but I love it because it keeps me from getting bored and I can see progress more easily. Look up routines that target your goals then ask for assistance to learn form.

And remember, you are probably going to stall on your weight loss, so be sure to take measurements and track your improvements so you don't get discouraged!
  • clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    *wry* not to mention that all that shoulder isolation is MURDER if your shoulders are bad like mine...

You WILL have to get over your fear of the weight room, regardless. Even if you start with everything you need at home, at some point you're going to develop enough strength that you will need a proper barbell set up and also start to venture into weights that REALLY should have safety equipment like racks and spotters involved. Additionally, as others have mentioned, you need education on workouts and appropriate FORM. You can't really get that on your own. You need someone to be there watching you.

In other words, it's possible to never have to go to a public weight room...but you're going to have to have a designated room in your house that you pour money into to keep appropriately stocked, as well as hire an at-home personal trainer and find someone to spot you once you reach a certain point. That hardly sounds cost effective, does it?

You could look into a CrossFit in your area. I have some friends into crossfit and have been aching to try myself. You get most of the benefits of a normal gym, but usually less people using the facility, more education and more community support. And when one of my friends started going, she was NOT "Strong". They'll find your level and work with you there until you're AWESOME. It is fairly pricey, though...(which is why I haven't done it)
  • clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For the record, all my experiences at gyms have been neutral to positive. Contrary to popular belief, most people are just focused on what they're doing and don't pay much attention to what's going on around them unless it's hampering their ability to do things. If people are standing around, flapping their jaws and whispering about other people, you've probably actually wandered into the Yuppy 'R' Us training facility and you're better off going elsewhere ;) Sometimes what attention you DO get is positive, too. I had a very nice gentleman compliment my swimming at our school natorium. It made my day!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    weight room is a good option.

I cancelled my gym membership though, and I've been making tons of progress taking my TRX to playgrounds for strength training and using a speed rope for cardio. When that gets too easy I'll just buy a weight vest.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I am a member of the gym, but I'm too scared to go in the weights room. I like to do various exercises using a Bosu and 6.6lb dumbbells, i don't know the names of the moves but lifting the weights to the side, out in front and up.

Stop being afraid or do bodyweight only at home. 6#ers won't get you these results. The 13#ers won't either. Check out the various groups on SL 5x5 for women, NROLFW, or just general strength boards. Stronglifts 5x5 is a very simple and user-friendly routine and it's free. I LOVE Nia Shanks programs. I've been doing those for the past seven months and gotten some pretty insane results. I'm now doing SL 5x5 purely for strength gains. This is heavy barbell work: squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench press and rows. The big five. I recently finished four weeks of exclusive bodyweight (Nia Shanks program) and improved strength, balance and shed fat. I have done my workouts at home, the gym and the playground at a local park with my kids.

Bottom line: get over your fears and get your butt in the weight room. OR invest in a home gym. OR invest in a pull up bar and TRX and get it on bodyweight style. You will get results. Just do it and go heavy (heavy is relative to YOU) or manipulate your body leverage to go heavy without the weights.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what's already been said. Please work up to courage to hit the weight room. It took me a while to make it there myself and then I wondered why in the world I had been scared and wasted so much time. Start with the basics and low weights if you need to but don't be afraid to pick up the heavier ones as you figure out what you are capable of. Utilize the trainers at the gym to help you with form and watch a lot of videos. If you watch some videos, you could work on the basic form of squats, deadlifts, OHP, bench press, and row at home with your dumbbells, but I think you will very quickly realize you need heavier weights