Runner question

Options
chickybuns
chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
I am doing a tough mudder in two months and need to increase my endurance. I have been currently been doing 5ks in 30 so about a 9:38 pace. I would like to work up to 8 miles comfortably. Do you think a 11 or 12 minute mile pace is reasonable to start going further distances. The only time recently I ran longer was 5.3 miles in an hour, but that was over a month ago. thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've ever looked at McMillan's target paces but he certainly recommends going slow, really slow training for longer distances ( http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ ) Run at a conversational pace and then slow down a little (it's really hard at first to consciously run slower)
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds fine
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yes fine. you won't be running the whole thing.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You still need endurance. It will take well over 3 hours for the average fit individual.

I wouldn't set a pace. Run for distance/time and go slow. Use short sessions to work on speed and long runs (slowly) to build up endurance.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'd say ditch the numbers and go by perceived exertion. Pretty much what Brian said.
  • RandyD2012
    RandyD2012 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did a tough mudder in June. I trained by running about 5 miles 3 X a week and doing P90x. Don't worry about your pace as much as endurance. You will never run more then 2 or 3 miles at a time with out an obstacle. I ran 90% of the mudder with no problems. Good luck in the tough mudder!!! It was one of the hardest things I ever did. But I am signed up for one in Oct also :wink:
  • jbalsavage
    jbalsavage Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, run slower when you are working on distance. You need to conserve your energy in the first part of your run if you want to run longer distances. I run a 5K at 8:30 min/mile, and can do 5 miles at about 9:00 min/mile. When I was trying to go from running 5 miles to 7 miles for my "long" run, I took my speed down to 9:45 or 10:00 min/mile. I was able to complete the longer run, so after a couple of weeks I upped the pace a bit. Try a long run once or twice a week, with some shorter runs (30 or 40 minutes) in between, and bust it out on those short runs. That will help build your endurance and strenght, which makes the distance runs easier. Speed and distance go hand in hand like that.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. Most of the time I will probably only be able to run for about an hour, maybe a longer one on the weekends. I will just try to get it slow but hard enough to complete the hour without walking. I am also doing circuit training to prepare and might do insanity. I have been working a lot on strength but not enough of cardio endurance.
  • clmack4
    clmack4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am doing the tough mudder in the Southwest in Sept.. I'm currently doing a variety of training. I am doing one ten mile a week run which is roughly 9 minute miles. The rest of my week is broken up into Strength training and interval training.
    I think as long as your strength training is going well then I wouldn't worry too much for the endurance!
  • chickybuns
    Options
    I am doing the tough mudder in the Southwest in Sept.. I'm currently doing a variety of training. I am doing one ten mile a week run which is roughly 9 minute miles. The rest of my week is broken up into Strength training and interval training.
    I think as long as your strength training is going well then I wouldn't worry too much for the endurance!

Awesome, I'm doing the one in St. Louis, and that's great you can do 10 miles at that pace, hoping one day I can work up to that.