Busy Parents - How do you make time for exercise?

Options
I'm a mummy to a 2 1/2 year old, I work nights and really struggle to fit in any meaningful exercise in between working/sleeping/parenting. My partner works days so we are like ships in the night most days and mayber get an hour together in the evening when i'm working.

Assuming my son is at nursery on my day off I spend that day running errands and catching up on cleaning/washing that i've not been able to do, if my days off fall on a weekend or on a Monday or Friday my little boy is home with me (even if i've worked the night before) and I get a quick snooze in with him at nap time then my mum picks him up at 2:30 when she finishes work and then I stay in bed until 8pm when I get up to get ready for work.

My partner works long hours, sometimes 7 days a week so he helps when he can.

I'm exhausted most of the time so I struggle to find the energy or the time to exercise regularly. I even gave up slimming world because i struggled to find the time to attend.

I have a very sedentary job and literally sit in the same chair for 10 hours, because it's an emergency control room with only 2 staff at night, we can't go out for breaks otherwise i'd spend some time walking up and down the stairs (I used to do that at my last job).

How do other busy parents manage to fit in exercise or even find the energy? Does anyone have any exercises I could do at my desk (my colleagues would probably join in!)?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I find the more I exercise, the more energy I have. I have 2 kids, 2 jobs, my husband has 3 jobs and we just fit it in when we can. I often involve my kids (4 and 11) in my exercise. We dance, lift weights, run, swim, whatever. My 11 year old will often ride his bike while I run. My 4 year old has 2 lb dumbbells that she uses to mimic what I'm doing. Just get creative and make it a priority. You'll feel so much better! Good luck!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I also have a sedentary desk job. Every time I take a bathroom break- I do 30-60 seconds of jumping jacks or jump rope (not with an actual jump rope), butt kicks or high knees (thanks Ms. Jillian) to get my heart rate up a bit. While I wait for my lunch to heat up in the microwave, I do squats, lunges, wall push-ups (doesn't have to be all of them, just a few minutes of whatever I feel like and have the time for)... when I get stiff at my desk, I do some dips, v-raises, standing overhead press with whatever I can find (water bottles, staplers, etc... lol

I also make the time to work out. I do my Jillian Michaels video when my baby is awake. I either let him play with his cars, put a movie on my computer for him, or put him in the high chair at snack time with a snack. The video is only 27 minutes, including warm up and cool down. You can do that. I also take him with me for a run in the stroller. He loves it. I do it before his bed time as it usually puts him to sleep. You can do it before his nap time. Then take a shower and catch a quick nap while he snoozes. On your off days, schedule the time. It doesn't have to be a full hour. 30 minutes of strength training. Save the cardio for the running/walking/jogging you do. You don't need to do more than that if you are on a time crunch. I never do cardio in the gym.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of a two year old so I feel your pain. I usually get in some workout before bed and my little guy loves going on walks with me or riding in his stroller while I walk/jog. Or now that it's warm we will hit the pool at least once a week or so. Two seems to be old enough (at least in my case) for him to entertain himself for a little bit with out much interaction from me. I know that exercise generally gives me more energy if I really do it. Gets the endorphins and adrenalin pumping. Good luck!
  • Puzlgrl21
    Puzlgrl21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Time is always the struggle I find for exercise.

You could always try: and I don't know if work allows you to do these things or not

Standing at your desk
    Walking in place (at your desk)
    Squats
    Jumping jacks
    Lifting your knees (while sitting)
    Punching (the air) always gets my heart rate up!
    Any movement that you can think of!

Hope this helped!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I make gym time, me time. I take a few hours in the morning before the kids get up and hit the gym.
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It is TOUGH!!! I have a 2 1/2 year old too and an 11 year old. I work full time and hubby currently has 3 jobs so I have no help. My day has to be very planned and thought out. I work from home so that helps a tiny bit in the exercise department so I can do a JM video on my break. I usually have my oldest daughter taken my son upstairs while I do my work out. I also do another JM workout after work and same situation, I have my daughter take my son upstairs. These videos are only 20 min so I find a way to squeeze it in. Life is so crazy hectic for us, I feel like I am NEVER caught up and there are not enough days in the week to get everything done, but I think if you start with a 20 min video like JM that is a great start. I REALLY would like to take up running but I am at a loss on how to do that one yet :ohwell:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my garage. I do it after work and can still keep an eye on the kids (9 and 6). I have a Y membership that I never use because I can never get there. Which reminds me, I need to cancel that. :smile:

ETA: I'm not single but my husband is in the military and works in a different state at the moment, so I'm pretty much a single parent. I make the time because it's important to me.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try and make working out before getting ready for work a habit - pop in a 30 minute exercise DVD. It is only 30 min :)

I have six kids and a husband who works FT and I make time for exercise, it makes me feel better and I'm being a healthy example for my kids. We go on family walks a lot, my teenager will run with me and also lifts weights with me, we play at the park. We just fit it in when we can.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For me (and I'm not everyone), there has some sacrifice of some family time so that I can exercise. The time I choose to sacrifice is the time that we would have all spent in front of the TV. So, win/win.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    If I didn't do it at home I wouldn't be able to do it. I have a job, school, a 3 week old, a 7 year old, and a 10 year old. I don't like to sacrifice the time I do have with my husband, so if I had to add in drive and parking time to my routine I would never do it. Even if you have a small place, some weights, resistance bands, kettle balls, etc. could be your best friend! I also treat it like I treat my job, I'm working out at this time, no matter what. I don't hit snooze I don't decide to get my hair done instead. You've got to be strict with your time management (which has always been my biggest struggle) or you will always let things creep in and get in the way and suck the hours out of your day.....
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I work fulltime and I also have a toddler and an older son. I exercising in the afternoon/evening.

I guess my children are use to me exercising, because they do their own thing when I exercise. My oldest is 6, so he plays on his own or watches tv etc. My toddler will just play or watch tv in the same room as me.

Luckily I have a treadmill and it is in the main area of the house. So I use that for 45 mins about 4-5 times a week. I rarely get 45 mins straight, but if I have to stop..it is only for a second to get something for my kids. Then I also do a video like 30 day shred or now Ripped in 30. My toddler just hangs out and watches me the whole time.

I have pretty independent kids that play well on their own. If I didn't, then I would have to wait till night when my husband is home to exercise.
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    A few others said it but the more your exercise you will likely find that you aren't as tired all the time. I have three kids and both me and my husband work FT. My girls are all 18 months apart so at one point I had two babies and a toddler but found ways to keep them busy. Involve your son - He can 'help' with some floor execerises or do them with you. Use a stroller and go for a power walk/jog, adding the stroller resistance will up the intensity. Anything you can do to get moving, do it, even if it is only for 15 minutes a day.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children ages 16,14, 12 and 11.I have a full-time job working in an elementary school so those kids keep me busy too during the school year. I make it a point to workout first thing when I get up. I find that if I don't do it then, I won't do it at all. I try a couple of other days out of the week to get a second exercise in during the day. That usually consists of a bike ride with the kids, going for a walk or this time of year taking them to the local free beach to go swimming. I find that once I finally get my butt moving, I am more apt to keep moving throughout the day.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Full time desk jobs are killer and working nights doesn't help either. Focus on the things you can do with your full schedule. Weight management is primarily controlling your intake so make a plan that you can easily execute to have some calorie deficit. Get your fiber in and water, water water. Make Sleep a priority over all else including exercise.

Once you got that down: See if you can get a standing work station with a chair so you can alternate sitting and standing at your desk. I got a standing work station set up at my job by contacting risk management. This is becoming more popular. If needed get a note from a doctor "prescribing" it. Also see if a stationary pedal set would work out at your desk. It is basically a small metal stand with two pedals and a resistance knob. Pedal while you work.

Anytime you can take a break take the long way to the restroom.

Work smarter, not harder. Investigate HIT cardio. Short session, 20 to 30 minutes alternating running/walking or walking slow/fast throw in walking squats and lunges. Learn about body weight exercises, a session including 4 or 5 exercises last less than twenty minutes and can be done almost anywhere. At work in between calls....where ever.

Working moms generally can't prioritize consistent time away at a gym. You don't have to dedicate long time periods working out to get results. Good luck
  • ukredhead19
    ukredhead19 Posts: 176
    Options
    This is a big struggle with two kids under 5 and a full time job! I've found that by the time I get home, cook dinner, give baths and put the kids to bed, there isn't an ounce of energy left in me. So I've been working out on my lunch breaks, do a toning class 3 days a week and then walk/run on the other 2 days. Its the only time that works for me and I'm all sweaty and gross every afternoon...buts thats better than nothing.

My poor husband is a runner, so he gets up at 4:30am and goes running with his buddies...but thats tough too. I have done 30 day shred a few times when I get home and my 4 year old loves it, he tries to do it with me. So maybe just pop in a video and see of your little one will let you do it!

Working at nights that might be harder, but maybe you could walk some at lunch or on breaks even if its inside...every bit helps!
    Good luck!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I do the stationary bike after my son goes to bed (although I sometimes have to stop to tend to him). When I am home with him on weekends, I can work in a stationary bike session while he watches TV (less than half an hour). My kid also likes to be silly and dance, so we often have "dance parties" that burn some calories :) Sometimes I do laundry dance parties with him and get some housework, play, and exercise in at the same time. Win.win.win.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    If you want to make this a coworker thing where you all could squeeze in some exercise I suggest you get a copy of "Body by You" by Mark Lauren for the group. There is also an App that put out by same person.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to get up an hour early to exercise. You could do that, too.

Also, you can probably find times to at least stand, maybe march in place or do a step-touch, step-touch kind of thing at your desk. I know inertia sets in when you have a desk job, but it's really important to yank yourself out of that as often as possible and do something. A desk and chair is a handy place to do squats, lunges, etc. You can probably also do some of your tasks standing up. I've seen that some people even use a treadmill desk! (oh how I'd love to have one, but I have to operate a foot pedal)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was a single mom of two (grown now). Always had a full time desk job, sometimes had a second part time job when things got really tough. At that age I think music was my best exercise. Kids love music and love to dance, so we did. After they were older we road bikes and rollerbladed together, or went swimming in the summer. Sometimes they'd take their bikes and ride as I ran. I've always exercised with my kids because I didn't have money for a sitter and always felt like I had little time with them because of work.

I do all kinds of calisthenics in my office - pushups, dips, crunches, leg lifts, bicycles, lunges, squats, etc. Anything non-jumping. I close my door to do these. Not sure I'd do them if I was still in the cube farm. Back then I used to just walk up and down the stairs on my breaks.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Also, I did run around like crazy with small children when I had them, took them bicycling, swimming, played chase games, etc. That's good exercise.