What is a realistic calorie goal for me?

Options
I am 5'8 and currently weight 182.8. I really want to be down to 166 to start with. But how many calories should I eat. The 1200 calories do not work for me. It is not at all realistic. Even when I work out I eat all those calories back too. I seem to still lose a pound a week but I would like to set a realistic daily calorie goal for myself. I get all upset with myself because I always go over. Most sites I look at calculate 1500-1600. Is that too much?

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) set to Sedentary is 1943 calories a day. This is what you'd maintain on with zero exercise.

To lose 1lb a week you will need to subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories.

1943-500= 1443 (lets round it to 1450 for ease)

So if you ate 1450 calories a day + exercise calories, you would lose 1lb a week. Seems like maybe more of what you're looking for? Try setting your MFP to lose 1lb a week instead of 2lbs.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) set to Sedentary is 1943 calories a day. This is what you'd maintain on with zero exercise.

To lose 1lb a week you will need to subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calories.

1943-500= 1443 (lets round it to 1450 for ease)

So if you ate 1450 calories a day + exercise calories, you would lose 1lb a week. Seems like maybe more of what you're looking for? Try setting your MFP to lose 1lb a week instead of 2lbs.

^ this
  • cookerk1
    cookerk1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good question! I would like to know the answer to that as well. I started myfitnesspal and then gave up because 1200 cal. didn't seem realistic. I was trying to figure out if I could adjust the cal. setting but at this point I would be guessing at what to adjust it too. How are you going to decide on the 1500-1600?
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I updated my profile and it says 1500 calories a day. More realistic by far if I am not exercising. Thank you!