Risotto Heaven!

Options
Kelso2628
Kelso2628 Posts: 23
So last night i attempted Risotto for the first time! And it worked!!! i put in chestnut and shiitake mushrooms, pieces of bacon and chicken stock and that was it! its was a lovely light dinner that had me full after one portion!

Have any of you people any other recipes for Risotto... i know its rice and not the healthiest, but its alot better than most things especially if you add in some fresh ingredients !

Would love to get more recipes as i can see myself making this over and over again!

Replies

• pluckylass
    Options
    The thing I love about risotto is that the recipe is pretty much the same for any kind, just vary the meat and veg you add. I tend to use at one of chicken, sausage, bacon or steak, and two or more of mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, peppers, carrots, onions, garlic or cauliflower. I find it a great meal for using up leftovers or things that are about to go out of date because it is so flexible.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    This recipe for butternut squash risotto is yummy! http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto To cut the cals a little I omit the butter and just use a little olive oil to sweat the onions, and I don't fry the sage, I just chop it and mix it in fresh.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Shallots, garlic, green asparagus and parmiggiano - simple, but awesome!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm having for dinner tonight! Thanks for the inspiration! :drinker:
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    eghg09.04.risotto.jpg

This one is pretty involved. I made it for a gathering of chefs, bakers, cookbook authors, and food nuts from all over the world. I was a bit nervous about it, but it came out great and the food critic for one of the Chicago newspapers said it was one of the best ever.
    I don’t measure anything, but the great thing about risotto is that you don’t have to. This one served 50.

Roasted Green Chile Risotto

1.5 Boxes Arborio Rice
    5 Poblano Chiles
    5 Anaheim Chiles
    1 Jalapeno Chiles
    1 Onion
    2-3 Cloves Garlic
    6-8 Tomatillos
    Ground Cumin
    Dried Whole Leaf Oregano
    Ground Coriander
    Olive Oil
    Salt
    Pepper

Chicken Stock

Roast chiles on a grill until all of the skin is blackened. Place in a covered plastic container until cool. Peel off the skin, slit them open and scrape out the seeds. I do not rinse.
    Dice the chiles

Peel the paper off of the tomatillos and quarter
    Peel the garlic and smash
    Add tomatillos and garlic to blender and blend until smooth

Heat stock season with salt, you want the stock simmering but not boiling

Heat heavy Dutch oven over medium heat
    Add olive oil to coat bottom of pan
    Add diced onion with a little salt
    Once onion is translucent (about 15 minutes on med-low) add spices
    Stir for 1 minute
    Add tomatillo/garlic mixture and continue stirring until most of the liquid has cooked out.
    Add diced green chiles
    Add rice and stir
    Begin to add stock 1 ladle at a time and stir constantly
    Stir until liquid has been absorbed
    Add another ladle of stock and continue to stir
    Repeat
    At about the 10 minute mark, taste the rice and adjust the stock for salt. Rice will not be done, but you’re just checking for salt.
    Continue to add stock and stir until rice is tender. About 20 minutes in all.
    Top with diced tomatoes, queso fresco, and cilantro.
  • celenachan
    celenachan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love risotto! However, I tend to limit my rice intake, so I don't have it often.

Last night I had savory oatmeal, which reminded me a lot of risotto. I used old fashioned rolled oats as my "rice", but I imagine, and will probably try steel cut oats tonight to get closer to the chewier texture. I just cooked the oatmeal, stir fried some vegis and meat on the side, poached an egg...add some shredded parm cheese when the oatmeal is cooked to your liking and add toppings. Maybe it isn't quite a risotto, but sure tasted delicious!!
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump!