Frustrated with the Plateau

Options
I have been working REALLY hard in the gym lately and have still had a lot of difficulty losing weight. I have changed up my macros a couple of times as well as my exercise regimen and I just can't figure out what to do differently. I've tried eating more calories and I've tried eating fewer calories. I tried to calculate my TDEE but I can't even figure out what that's supposed to be telling me. I feel like a complete idiot but can someone please help me?! I'm getting very VERY frustrated!! Thanks guize :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your diary and profile are both set to private. If you want help, we're going to need more details. What are you doing at the gym? How many calories are you burning? How many calories are you eating? Define having a hard time losing. Are we talking about no change on the scale or just less than you want? How long have you waited between changes to your routine? Have you given anything a chance to work (4-6 weeks)?
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    After losing 12 pounds quick, I was then stuck on a plateau for two weeks where I lost nothing. Then, I recently lost a whopping one pound. However, I haven't varied anything because I know I'm doing the right things compared to the past. I'm working out more, and eating less healthier foods.

The other thing is to focus on the non-scale victories. During my plateau, I went down a notch in my belt; my wedding ring is now so loose that I can't wear it (no jokes, I've been happily married for 18 years) and my TRX exercises are becoming so easy that I now have to wear a weight vest to make them more difficult.

After all, we are doing this for our health and the mirror, not the scale. Focus on the NSV's, not the scale. Although I've only lost 1 pound in the past 3 weeks, I feel great and am more confident about myself. My advice is to find a routine that you're comfortable with, have a steady diet and focus on the NSV's. I hope this helps.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I run between a mile and a mile and a half and power walk for about the same. Every other day I do the exercises bodbot assigns to me. I do weight lifting and yogas. I go hiking a few times a month. I burn between 300 and 700 calories from working out a day, other than my rest days. I know maybe I eat a little too many sweets but I'm almost always under my calorie goal. I hadn't weighed myself in almost 2 months and when I got on the scale this past weekend I'd only lost 3 pounds.
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you opened your food diary - it makes it easy to see the problem. You don't eat enough. You body is holding on to whatever fat/weight it has because you're not feeding it enough. The days you work out, you're netting under 1000 calories, which is WAY to little. The most you've eaten (I didn't go back TOO fat, mind you) is about 1230 calories. You said that TDEE was too confusing for you. This explains it really well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
    But I do wonder if you're not like many people, and just afraid to eat that many calories because you're afraid it will make you gain weight. If you don't want to make the jump straight into TDEE-20%, then I would suggest upping your calories 100 a week until you get there. I have been where you are and I didn't start losing until I upped my calories. I know MANY people who lose weight on 1600-2000 calories a DAY. No joke. I guarantee your plateau is because you're not eating enough.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you could please tell us your current Weight, Height and Age we could do some calculations for you, maybe we can clear some things up =)
  • ladypitek
    Options
    I am currently 157lbs, 5'4", 31 years old. I'm trying to get down to 135. Ideally. My frustration mostly stems from the fact that I lost the first 30 pounds without even really trying; I just started tracking my calories and wasn't even exercising. I kicked up the exercise when I started plateauing but it's been a few months and I haven't seen any additional results. I have a wedding to go to in September and I just really want to look FABULOUS! You guys are awesome, thanks for your help :)
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I leveled oh myself for awhile and what jolted me back was focusing on carbs..I tend to shoot for 100 Max a day..sometimes I go over sometimes I trend under..but it seemed to tell my body to find energy from my body fat. I run 15-20 miles a week and I never feel sluggish or foggy keeping it around that number...
  • smwooley
    Options
    I put your numbers in the TDEE calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) and it says to lose weight, you should be eating 1755 calories a day (do not eat back your exercise calories). This is figuring you're working out 3-5 hours a week; if you work out more, your calories would increase. I would suggest slowly increasing your calories until you get to at least 1700 a day. I bet you'll start losing again. I've seen it time and time again!
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    I am currently 157lbs, 5'4", 31 years old. I'm trying to get down to 135. Ideally. My frustration mostly stems from the fact that I lost the first 30 pounds without even really trying; I just started tracking my calories and wasn't even exercising. I kicked up the exercise when I started plateauing but it's been a few months and I haven't seen any additional results. I have a wedding to go to in September and I just really want to look FABULOUS! You guys are awesome, thanks for your help :)

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) on Sedentary is 1784 calories a day, this is what you would maintain your current weight at with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 1,412 calories/day this is how many calories your body would need to function if you were in a coma.

It is not recommended to net below your BMR while losing weight. This is because the lower you go under your BMR, the more lean muscle mass to fat lost ratio increases, lowering your over all metabolism.

Obviously this doesn't leave a very large deficit, which is normal since you're on the more petite side and also don't have that much weight to lose.

1784-1412= 372 calorie a day deficit or 1lb lost every 9.4 days.

It's totally up to you to eat less than 1412 NET, it will result in a little bit more weight lost according to the scale....but it won't necessarily mean you're losing just fat. It gets harder to lose as we get smaller, I know it sucks, but try to alter your expectations of how fast you're suppose to lose weight.

Remember that regardless of whether you choose 1200-1400 calories a day, to eat back your exercise calories so that you can maintain a safe caloric deficit daily.
  • ladypitek
    Options

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 1784 calories a day, this is what you would maintain your current weight at with zero exercise.

Your estimated BMR is: 1,412 calories/day this is how many calories your body would need to function if you were in a coma.

It is not recommended to net below your BMR while losing weight. This is because the lower you go under your BMR, the more lean muscle mass to fat lost ratio increases, lowering your over all metabolism.

Obviously this doesn't leave a very large deficit, which is normal since you're on the more petite side and also don't have that much weight to lose.

It's totally up to you to eat less than 1412 NET, it will result in a little bit more weight lost according to the scale....but it won't necessarily mean you're losing just fat. It gets harder to lose as we get smaller, I know it sucks, but try to alter your expectations of how fast you're suppose to lose weight.

Remember that regardless of whether you choose 1200-1400 calories a day, to eat back your exercise calories so that you can maintain a safe caloric deficit daily.

Thank you!!! MFP had calculated my daily intake at 1200 calories. So this is probably a little too low then? I thought I was eating back enough calories on my workout days but from what you guys are telling me I should probably up my intake even more? I have no problem eating more, BELIEVE ME!! I'm just scared to eat TOO much! I guess finding that balance is trial and error?
  • Johnny__C
    Johnny__C Posts: 8
    Options
    Don't sweat it... It's all part of the process.

For example, I am consistent with my eating and workout routine. Nothing changes too much. I might have a bad day here or there, but in the scheme of things it's all fairly consistent. I track my weight every day. Even though I am consistently under my caloric intake and I am doing what I need to, my weight will plateau for a month. And then all of a sudden my body decides that it's time to shed weight.

Don't sweat it. Even during the plateau, your body is just registering all of the goodness that you are doing. It's all part of the process. Weight is just one of the measurements. It doesn't tell the whole story. If you are happy with the way your body is transforming, but unhappy with the actual weight #, keep your routine going. Just as long as you are more or less consistent while you are journeying across the plateau good things will happen all around.

Play the long game... Considering the great success that you've accomplished (36lbs!! congrats!), you already know this.

Aside:
    Just a suggestion, but it might be beneficial to you to track your weight more frequently than every "2 months." A weekly or daily look will give you a lot more information. A lot happens to a person's body any given month, so it's going to be tough getting a handle on where you are if you are just taking measurements over random or infrequent intervals (e.g. every "2 months"). Everybody is different. I like getting a daily look. Some people like a weekly or monthly. Some, none at all. You'll figure out what works for you, but a more frequent measurement might help you understand what's going on a little better. Just a thought...

Cheers, ~ JC
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Thank you!!! MFP had calculated my daily intake at 1200 calories. So this is probably a little too low then? I thought I was eating back enough calories on my workout days but from what you guys are telling me I should probably up my intake even more? I have no problem eating more, BELIEVE ME!! I'm just scared to eat TOO much! I guess finding that balance is trial and error?

Yes, that is the very lowest MFP is legally allowed to set it and depending on how much weight you have to lose, 1200 is not really appropriate or accurate.

I'll give you an example. I maintain my weight on 1900 calories a day. If I set MFP to lose 2lbs a week, it would say I needed to eat 1200 calories. Clearly, in order to lose 2lb a week I'd have to create a 1000 calorie deficit every day(1900-1000=900). This means I'd have to eat 900 net calories, which is not healthy or safe.

To gain weight you'd have to eat over the maintenance calories everyday with zero exercise. Just give it a good amount of time, eating more grams of food can increase waste storage and sodium intake which causes water retention.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors. Since you have lost 36 pounds, have you gone back to figure your BMR and TDEE again? They change with the weight you lose.

If you have been doing the same fitness routine, your body has gotten used to it and you need to change it up.

I don't know what you are eating, but you have to vary that also. I don't know when you are eating. Some people are finding success with not eating after 6 pm and then eating a good breakfast more than 12 hours later.

Another thing, your ticker says that you have lost 36 pounds in the last 20 months. That's about 1.8 pounds a month, so losing 3 pounds in 2 months is not really off by much. I just think you need to re-evaluate your values, calories, and routine.
  • smwooley
    Options

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is 1784 calories a day, this is what you would maintain your current weight at with zero exercise.

I think you figured her TDEE-20% then took another 20% off :-) Her TDEE is actually 2194 (what she would need to eat to maintain). To lose weight, she needs to eat 1755. OR you figured her at sedentary, which no one truly is. I figured her at working out 3-5 hours a week, which I'm guessing is the minimum OP is doing, from what she has said.
    OP, I would just increase your calories 100 calories per day each week until you get to about 1600-1700. This, I'm willing to bet, will be a good calorie level for you. MFP sets EVERYONE to 1200 calories. I have one (among many) who is losing weight at 2000 calories a day, and MFP wants her to eat 1200!! LOL
  • ladypitek
    Options
    Aside:
    Just a suggestion, but it might be beneficial to you to track your weight more frequently than every "2 months." A weekly or daily look will give you a lot more information. A lot happens to a person's body any given month, so it's going to be tough getting a handle on where you are if you are just taking measurements over random or infrequent intervals (e.g. every "2 months"). Everybody is different. I like getting a daily look. Some people like a weekly or monthly. Some, none at all. You'll figure out what works for you, but a more frequent measurement might help you understand what's going on a little better. Just a thought...

[/quote]

Thank you! I was weighing myself a few times a week when I first started but (very) long story short, I had to move out of my apartment a few months ago and in with family friends and when I moved all of my posessions went into storage, including my scale! I know I have to buy a new one but the only chance I got to weigh myself was when I was visiting my parents this past weekend. I'm a slacker I guess.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you opened your food diary - it makes it easy to see the problem. You don't eat enough. You body is holding on to whatever fat/weight it has because you're not feeding it enough. The days you work out, you're netting under 1000 calories, which is WAY to little. The most you've eaten (I didn't go back TOO fat, mind you) is about 1230 calories. You said that TDEE was too confusing for you. This explains it really well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
    But I do wonder if you're not like many people, and just afraid to eat that many calories because you're afraid it will make you gain weight. If you don't want to make the jump straight into TDEE-20%, then I would suggest upping your calories 100 a week until you get there. I have been where you are and I didn't start losing until I upped my calories. I know MANY people who lose weight on 1600-2000 calories a DAY. No joke. I guarantee your plateau is because you're not eating enough.
    Good advice!
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    I think you figured her TDEE-20% then took another 20% off :-) Her TDEE is actually 2194 (what she would need to eat to maintain). To lose weight, she needs to eat 1755. OR you figured her at sedentary, which no one truly is. I figured her at working out 3-5 hours a week, which I'm guessing is the minimum OP is doing, from what she has said.
    OP, I would just increase your calories 100 calories per day each week until you get to about 1600-1700. This, I'm willing to bet, will be a good calorie level for you. MFP sets EVERYONE to 1200 calories. I have one (among many) who is losing weight at 2000 calories a day, and MFP wants her to eat 1200!! LOL

I figured it on sedentary and forgot to include it in my post. Since I wasn't sure exactly how active she was, sometimes it's easier to tell people what they maintain on without exercise so they can then add that to the base numbers. Thanks for pointing that out, I don't want to cause any confusion.
  • SAR4Life
    SAR4Life Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    All i can say is PLEASE, PLEASE... Don't let the scale dictate how you should feel about weight lose! I know especially for myself, I've been (according to the scale) at 180-183 lbs for the longest time. It seems like it never changes! When you take into account the muscle weighs more than fat (and if you're working out you're building more muscle than you realize) and also that most scales are not calibrated on a regular basis, you realize you have to look at other indicators.

A perfect one is the fit of your clothes; I started doing a group boot camp type PT workout here in the DC area. After the initial 2 weeks, I could feel space in my pants, jeans I was going to give away I now wear again and all the belts I recently bought need to get chucked cause I'm on the last holes on all of them. I can see a difference in the mirror (more definition..meaning fat is coming off over the muscle) and I like it; it keeps me motivated to keep going even through minor soreness and injury which I work around and rest to heal.

I would say possible throw some interval training into your mix. It will shock the body systems into burning more calories and the burn will last longer through the day. They can be brutal (whether sprinting, burpees, whatever exercise you choose to max out) but are very useful! Don't give up..Keep Pushing..Stay in the Game!