tdee - confused newbie

Options
Hi.

Im 18 years old and while im relatively new to mfp ive been dieting for years to no avail and decided its time to do it properly. So heres why im confused. For the last 3 weeks ive been eating around 1200 calories and burning around 600 netting at 600. Ive lost a stone and I expected to see changes to my body but nothing. Im determined to continue but want to lose more inches rather than lbs and this is why I need help. What am I doing wrong. My tdee is 2563 so if I want to lose say 3 lbs a week id have to eat 1000...right? Just don't want to slow down my metabolism or burn muscle rather than fat. I would really appreciate some help as my weight is causing me many social, mental and physical problems and I want to lose 3 stone before uni in october. Please help :) x
P.s feel free to look at my food diary!

Replies

• salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1200/600 is not nearly enough. You want to reduce your weekly loss goal, 3 lb. is too much. You'll never keep weight off eating such a small amount. If your TDE is 2563 you want to be in the 2000/2100 range to lose .5 to 1 lb. per week - it's slower but more effective and you'll have better long-term results. Three stone by October is very aggressive and probably unrealistic. Good luck.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    If you don't have much weight to lose, then 3 pounds a week is too much, too fast. You should be eating TDEE minus 10%, which would be about 2250 calories. This will put you at a 250 calorie deficit a day, which should result in a loss of about 1/2 pound a week. At your TDEE, I wouldn't go less than 2000 calories, or you will slow your metabolism.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Hi.

What am I doing wrong.

You have unrealistic goals. Losing 3 pounds a week is nearly impossible. If you've dieted to this extreme in the past your metabolism is likely shot and will take time to repair. Take 20% off 2563 and eat that every day regardless of if you exercise or not.

It's a slow process. Painfully slow. You have to be patient.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PS forgot to mention, congrats on that first 14! But you need more calories to continue losing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    3 lbs a week is far too high of a goal. Even 2 lbs a week is a little reaching with what you have to lose. Aim for 1-1.5 lbs a week (-500 to -750 off of TDEE).

3 lbs a week would be burning muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With the amount you have to lose 3lbs/week is much too fast. I would suggest 1.5 at most which would be 750 cals below your TDEE, which would be TDEE -30% which is still aggressive, best bet would be TDEE-20-25%
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What you are going to hear over and over is... netting 600/day is too low.
    You have a TDEE of 2500+...so aim for something closer to 1500/day net. Maybe even as high as 2000/day net.
    And if you want to keep as much muscle as you can while losing fat, workout, lift weight, make your muscles hurt.
    You didn't add it all on in 3 months, so why would you expect to get rid of it all that fast?
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's so great you're looking to do it the right way :)
    You need to look at your BMR, your TDEE and then 10-15% of your TDEE.
    First thing: find your BMR. You BMR is the amount of calories you would need to have in order to live. So, if you were just vegetable and never moved, your BMR is the amount of calories needed to live. NEVER EAT BELOW THIS NUMBER
    Second thing: find your TDEE. This is the amount of food you can eat a day and NOT gain any weight dependent on your activity level.
    Third: find 15% of your TDEE. This is the amount of calories you need to consume to lose weight.
    Here's a website I've used to find mine out.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

With your TDEE being 2500, you're going to probably be totally surprised on what your recommended calorie intake is. It'll be A LOT higher than what you are eating now!

I workout 5 times a week. I lift weights and do cardio. I need 1800-1900 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week.
    Because I have cheat days (usually enjoying dinner with friends) I tend to calorie cycle that week and will eat 1400 one day, 1300 another day, 2000 another day, you get what I'm saying.
    If you eat too little calories, your body will not allow you to lose weight. You will be in starvation mode. To jump start your metabolism again, it takes about 2 weeks of 2000+ calories a day for your body to allow you to lose weight again.

By the way, people who are very over weight, when they first begin to lose weight, they drop a lot of weight each week. However, the more your body loses, the less your body will allow you to lose. 2 pounds a week is a great goal. Because I like wine and I'm a big foodie, I understand dropping 1 pound a week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's so great you're looking to do it the right way :)
    You need to look at your BMR, your TDEE and then 10-15% of your TDEE.
    First thing: find your BMR. You BMR is the amount of calories you would need to have in order to live. So, if you were just vegetable and never moved, your BMR is the amount of calories needed to live. NEVER EAT BELOW THIS NUMBER
    Second thing: find your TDEE. This is the amount of food you can eat a day and NOT gain any weight dependent on your activity level.
    Third: find 15% of your TDEE. This is the amount of calories you need to consume to lose weight.
    Here's a website I've used to find mine out.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I workout 5 times a week. I lift weights and do cardio. I need 1800-1900 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week.
    Because I have cheat days (usually enjoying dinner with friends) I tend to calorie cycle that week and will eat 1400 one day, 1300 another day, 2000 another day, you get what I'm saying.
    If you eat too little calories, your body will not allow you to lose weight. You will be in starvaton mode. To jump start your metabolism again, it takes about 2 weeks of 2000+ calories a day for your body to allow you to lose weight again.

By the way, people who are very over weight, when they first begin to lose weight, they drop a lot of weight each week. However, the more your body loses, the less your body will allow you to lose. 2 pounds a week is a great goal. Because I like wine and I'm a big foodie, I understand dropping 1 pound a week.

I'm confused, you recommend - 10-15% which is a cut of about 300 - 500 calories which is a goal of roughly .5 - 1 lbs a week but also recommend a goal of 2 lbs a week which is about a 30% cut.
  • Farhana070695
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your advice. You're all right and im going to increase my calories to 2000. I want to lose weight for good and judging by how much you've all lost you know what youre talking about. Food time haha :) this will be a lot easier now! Xx