I wanna stop biting my nails..but..

Options
I need advice because I haven't been able to. at all.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    41MJcw8r9nL._SY300_.jpg

Or you could scratch your feet and not wash your hands as a deterrent. Of course if you have a foot fetish this will only make things worse.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Go get a manicure and then keep them painted. I never want to bite my nails when they look nice.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What the waffle said. Or you could stop washing your hands after going to the restroom.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I tried everything... the hot pepper stuff? Yep, no effect on me. Finally, I painted mine black and between the horrid taste of black nail polish and the horrid way they look once nibbled, I have quit biting mine.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Go get a manicure and then keep them painted. I never want to bite my nails when they look nice.

Worked for me! Actually, I got gel nails for awhile (which are impossible to bite even if you wanted to). Yes, it seems like it defeats the purpose b/c it sort of trashes your nails underneath, but if you do it for a few months you can get out of the habit and once you take them off and get back to healthy you don't even think about doing it anymore. You know? But manis have worked to keep me from biting them :).
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I used to be a terrible nail-nibbler until we learned about pinworms in health class, and then I stopped cold turkey. Just imagine all the bacteria and tiny eggs and itty-bitty finger-living-creatures that each bite transfers to your mouth and it's surprisingly easy to keep them out.

PINWORMS: DO NOT WANT.
  • shimmer615
    shimmer615 Posts: 55
    Options
    I used to be a terrible nail-nibbler until we learned about pinworms in health class, and then I stopped cold turkey. Just imagine all the bacteria and tiny eggs and itty-bitty finger-living-creatures that each bite transfers to your mouth and it's surprisingly easy to keep them out.

PINWORMS: DO NOT WANT.

Oh em gee...
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Don't kill me for making this serious, lol.

I am a compulsive skin and nail picker. I have scars on the sides of my thumbs from it. The only way I could stop was to figure out when and why I was doing it, and make a conscious decision to stop doing it if I caught myself. Typically, it was boredom or stress. Stopping it was kind of like stopping the compulsive eating.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't wash your hands after going potty.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I pick at my nails.. and the skin of my feet. The only things I have found that curb the impulses to do them is to wear socks or gloves, and always to be preoccupied with something else (preferably involving hands.. ie, typing, drawing)
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Get your teeth removed and get dentures. That could help.
  • kuuhristin
    kuuhristin Posts: 24
    Options
    i used to bite mine all the time. Keep them painted, get good at manicures and you'll stop doing it. I notice if I get the urge I'll pick off all the nail polish instead and by the time I get that far I'll move on and not bite my nails