Need more clean calories during the day

Options
Hi, my name is Daniel, and I'm currently training for my first half-marathon. I'm trying to get more clean calories in during the day, and I'm really struggling with this.

I'm looking for help for breakfast and lunch. Right now, my breakfast calories are really lacking. I'm not getting enough, and I've been trying a couple different things (going to our company grill to get egg whites, etc...), but I'm still not getting anywhere close to 400+ calories for breakfast.

For lunch, I've been getting in about 425-450 a day. I'd really like to get that to 600-700 calories for lunch.

As for my training schedule...CrossFit Monday/Wednesday Running Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    *tosses OP a scrub brush* Get cracking on cleaning those calories! :laugh:
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of breakfast as only breakfast food. Eat half an avocado with eggs, onions and peppers, and bacon.
    eat chicken with black beans and salsa, avocado and onions and peppers
    stuffed green peppers with beef and ground cauliflower and well onions with a side of berries and almonds
    eat a sweet potato with chicken or steak (steak and eggs)
    fish, shrimp (all frozen and could be cooked fast, not ideal but could even be "cooked" with just lemon juice), with raw cabbage, black beans and corn (like a fish taco) if no carbs wrap it all in a lettuce lead.
    salmon with cooked spinach and pine nuts with fresh tomato and avocado, do you see a theme with me?
  • danielbwest
    danielbwest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do. Thanks so much for the suggestions. The biggest hurdle has been finding different things that I can premake, and bring to work.
  • Shellster831
    Shellster831 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my husband premakes eggs, with turkey sausage, half a pack of oatmeal and whatever else he finds in the frig. His breakfast is like a dump cake. But he cooks the egg not really all the way, then puts it in the micro for thirty seconds at work the next day.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Make and freeze breakfast burritos. You'll definitely up your calories with those :)
  • danielbwest
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. That'd be something really easy to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is an easy one. Instead of egg white, eat the full egg, 3x the cals for same volume of food
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Avocados have a lot of calories.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs, egg "cupcakes" are a great make-ahead thing -- I made a whole tray and ate them for 2 weeks.

Also, there's an egg/meat casserole recipe I have at home that I love that I'm sure would be the same concept -- cut into squares, wrap 'em up, and grab them in the morning. Can put salsa on them, more meat on the side, whatever.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here is an easy one. Instead of egg white, eat the full egg, 3x the cals for same volume of food

yup. exactly.

use oils to cook with, good fats, etc. Just real food in realistic amounts. Almonds are happy. 30g for 190ish calories?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you like eggs, egg "cupcakes" are a great make-ahead thing -- I made a whole tray and ate them for 2 weeks.

Also, there's an egg/meat casserole recipe I have at home that I love that I'm sure would be the same concept -- cut into squares, wrap 'em up, and grab them in the morning. Can put salsa on them, more meat on the side, whatever.

Egg cupcakes? Do tell.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Egg cupcakes? Do tell.

bacon_egg_cupcake2.jpg
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options

Egg cupcakes? Do tell.

Here's a basic recipe I've tried before:

BREAKFAST CUPCAKES:
    1/3 sausage and 1/2 C chopped yellow onion, sautéed together until cooked
    2C chopped baby spinach
    1/3C Cilantro
    8 Eggs
    1tsp Adobo (mix of salt, garlic, oregano, pepper, and turmeric)

1. Preheat oven to 375. Brown onion and sausage until cooked. While browning, chop spinach and cilantro
    2. Whisk eggs and adobo
    3. Remove sausage and onions from heat. Add chopped spinach and mix.
    4. Combine egg mixture with spinach mixture.
    5. Add cilantro and mix well.
    6. Pour into greased muffin pan.
    7. Bake for 18-22 minutes

I also eat about 1/2 cup of nuts every morning -- usually raw almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. As an above poster said, good fats in them, and lots of protein. Plus they're just GOOD.
  • danielbwest
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recipe. Sounds like they're pretty easy to make as well.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Clorox. Srs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Ice cream..and no, I'm not being "mean"...I'm serious. There are "clean" ice cream options out there. Look for Talenti. Or look up recipes to make your own.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP, no help at the moment but bump for the ideas