Swimming for Beginners?

Options
mcn79
mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
I really want to start swimming but I'm scaaaaaarrrrrreeed. I can "swim" but my strokes aren't very good and I'm awkward. I also don't know what kind of endurance I'll have. That being said, I've never actually swam with goggles and my eyes open. That combined with focusing on the correct breathing may be a huge help. I'm making all of these excuses why I can't...because I'm intimidated. I've considered taking some "adult" lessons but I don't know if they are necessary or not...and honestly, I feel like that is just another roadblock.

I guess my big question, directed to those of you who swim laps regularly, is how much I'll piss other people off if I just start swimming and/or if I'll just sink to the bottom of the pool.

Thanks. :)

Replies

• JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about taking private adult swimming lessons? I know they are offered around here at the Y.
  • juliamamann
    Options
    I don't think you will piss anyone off. All the swimmers I've ever met at the gym are super nice and always willing to help. I like to go when there aren't very many people there so I don't have to share a lane. If you have a friend who is really good at swimming you could ask them to give you some pointers or reassure you that you don't look crazy in the water. Adult swim lessons are a good idea too though! I think at some point though there is some value in just...going and seeing how you do.
  • mluxo91
    mluxo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a lifeguard's point of view, I hope you don't sink to the bottom cause I'd have to come in and getcha! =]

How many lanes are there at the pool where you will swim? At the Y where I guard, we have a 5 lane lap pool - it doesn't get CRAZY busy, and we usually don't have problems with people sharing lanes.. there's bound to be someone who's at about the same level as you (if you have to share a lane). Who knows... maybe you'll find a great swimming buddy! Good luck!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm making all of these excuses why I can't...because I'm intimidated. I've considered taking some "adult" lessons but I don't know if they are necessary or not...and honestly, I feel like that is just another roadblock.

Just curious -- why would lessons be a roadblock? Anybody can swim without formal lessons but sometimes it makes progess faster and easier (and swimming more enjoyable).

As an example, I have a friend who asked for swimming help (I used to be an instructor and lifeguard) -- he could do the basics of the crawl but he kept getting mouthfuls of water because he wasn't breathing right and he'd stop kicking when he turned to breath. We'd meet for an hour once every few weeks to work on his mechanics and now he swims like a pro (well, almost a pro :-)

Anyway, if you don't want lessons, it's no big deal (I swim at a pool and I see adult swimmers of all levels - even doggy-paddlers) but lessons may be a big help in advancing your technique so you enjoy the sport.

Best wishes!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I guess my big question, directed to those of you who swim laps regularly, is how much I'll piss other people off if I just start swimming and/or if I'll just sink to the bottom of the pool.

Thanks. :)

The first thing you'll probably notice if you start going during lane swim time is that there are slow, medium and fast lanes. If you're new to swimming pick the slow one, you'll be able to focus on you're swimming without getting passed every 2 seconds by faster swimmers (you'll probably never see me in the fast lane.....) If you have to take a break after a length just stay over to the side so you're not blocking other swimmers........everyone was a newbie at one time.

If you can get lessons (or coaching) it's worth it. Not only will it improve your swimming but your confidence too (don't worry about bilateral breathing just yet....) if there's a masters swimming program where you live that may be an option too - don't be intimidated by the "masters" designation, it denotes age rather than skill level. Most clubs offer coaching and cater to swimmers of all abilities.

Have fun!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something but are scared that you aren't good enough/don't have enough experience/aren't strong enough - well if you don't start and do it, then you'll always be (1) scared (2) longing to do it and (3) too weak/inexperienced/unschooled.

Lessons would be good because they would give you a scheduled time to be in the pool, offer support from an expert and tips on how to speed up your progress.

If no lessons, then you should speak with the pool lifeguards or management to get an idea when the pool is at its most busy and when would be the ideal time for you to swim

And the more you swim, the faster your progress, so try to go 3-4 times a week until you feel comfortable swimming -- this will allow you to progress faster to the point where you will be the one swimming fast laps in lanes and encouraging beginners to keep at it.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Two years ago, I started swimming "laps" before water aerobics (breast stoke back and forth in the deep end before class). I soon had too much stamina for water aerobics and started swimming real laps in the lap lanes. The Y where I swim it's usually 2 people to a lane. Plenty room for both parties to have 1/2 a lane. Then you're not in anybody's way. If a 3rd gets in well, they just swim around the slower swimmer.

I *NEVER* mind a slow swimmer....cudos to you for just doing it!

I started with 5 laps (up/back). And slowly added 1 lap every other week. Now I swim just sort of 4 miles a week. You will get better as you swim. Get some good goggles and jump in!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm still the slowest swimmer in the pool, but I do it because I love being in the water. Endurance comes surprisingly quickly - I went from not being able to do one length to being able to swim 15-20 laps in just a few weeks. It's really unlikely that you'll sink - just relax and you'll float. And probably nobody minds sharing - I always go early in the morning so I either get a lane to myself or at most have to share for a few minutes, but I've never had anyone yell and push me into the water when I ask if I can share a lane.

Check at your pool how lap swimming works - at mine you can split the lane if there are two people, but you have to circle swim if there are three. At the city pool you always have to circle swim, which can be a little embarassing when the person you're sharing with is faster than you. (Did I mention that EVERYONE is faster than me?)

Also, there are swimming lesson videos on YouTube. They're not as good as real in-person lessons, but they're better than nothing for improving your technique.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You Tube videos for info and try before you buy
    http://www.totalimmersion.net/
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options

question, is how much I'll piss other people off if I just start swimming
    and/or
    if I'll just sink to the bottom of the pool.

Sure, you will anger some folks, guaranteed.
    And you will inspire some folks, guaranteed.

And you won't sink. Just hang onto the side.

:-)
    So have you gone swimming yet?
    Tell us what you think!
  • belle713
    belle713 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi!! Don't be scared!!! I've been swimming for about 2 years now and you will LOVE IT! You don't have to start off doing "real swimming." You can choose the most shallow lane and start off walking or jogging. Depending on your gym, they should have lots of accessories... arm rings (floaties for adults) LOL... foam dumbells, ankle weights, etc... The floaties are great if you want to swim on your back using fins, for example. the dumbells provide great resistance. They also make these awesome gloves which add resistance while you're making your arm strokes.

As someone else said, the lanes have a stripe down the center so if the pool is crowded, you can share a lane easily with another person. Just go at your own pace and don't feel intimidated. BELIEVEEE ME, I was in your shoes at first. Being the biggest girl in the pool is never fun. (My situation...that may not be the case for you:) But now, we're all very good friends and everyone is so proud of me. And I'M proud of me too... Which feels kinda great :)

Good luck and have fun!!

PS: the endorphins after swimming is insane! I"m still feeling great and I finished swimming 2 hours ago. LOL

I forgot one thing... if you decide you love it, they make waterproof iPods. I HIGHLY recommend getting one!! It makes the time fly by, makes the swimming so much more fun AND if you play fast music, it really makes you swim faster. :)
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was where you are now. I knew how to swim but had problems evening out my breathing, breathing on both sides and with endurance. I took a class at my local pool called Moderate Training Swimfit which was geared towards adults wanting to improve their swim technique.

When I started, I could barely swim a length without feeling like I was dying and my heart was jumping out of my chest. After 10 half hour sessions in my class and lots of practice, I'm now swimming laps regularly without stopping and do anything from 750 meters before my aquafit class and 2000 meters on my "big swim" days.

The class was absolutely the difference. However, get in the pool no matter what!
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    By the way, I started my class in April and it took five weeks, so success was pretty quick.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I use a snorkel. I just cant get the head turn and breath thing, so I snap on a snorkel and can crank off 44 lengths in 30 minutes in a 25 meter pool. Do I look goofy? I dont know, my head is underwater. But i am able to finish a good workout. it may not be as strenuous as the same laps with breathing on my own, but to me its better than 2 laps and practically dying and then never doing it again.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    dbl post.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Swimming was my sport in school and I was a lifeguard at the Y for many years.

I saw some awful strokes. A lot of people just hanging on the lane lines, etc.

None of it bothered me, except for hanging on the lane lines, cause they would snap and little plastic disks would go all over the place.
  • peeaanuut
    Options
    another thing to look at is walking or jogging in the pool if there is a shallower area. I do sets of 10 laps. So on the 9 and 10 lap, I walk with my water bottle and calm down the heart. I do this without using my arms for balance so its all leg working to keep me moving. Its especially hard cause as a big guy, i just float right to the top.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I recently restarted swimming again after 17 or so years. Im slow but I working on my stamina right now. Im not going for speed. I just stick to the slow lane and do my laps. I dont have great technique but it gets me to the end of the lap so thats ok with me!

My pool is real deep at one end and I was worried Id sink but my body is too buoyant! Im so buoyant i cant even swim down and touch the bottom of the pool! :laugh:

Be brave. Take the plunge! (pun intended!)
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I swim laps 5 times a week and can tell you I don't pay much attention to others in the pool.

That being said I am completely self taught lap swimmer. I could always swim but had no clue how those people where breathing and not drowning.

So about 12 years ago I went to lap swimming and just used a kick board. Back and forth kicking and kicking but while kicking I would watch the other swimmers. Tried to learn the count of when to breath. So many people had different techniques but there was one guy who made it look so easy. So I watched and watched.

One day the pool was empty and I tried swimming with my face in the water and counting my strokes and when to breath. Every since I have been a true lap swimmer.

Also ask for help most swimmers will gladly tell you what works for them or have some kind of tip.

Good luck and don't worry no one is watching you besides the lifeguard.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use a floatie and paddle like hell! it's an awesome workout and I totally look like a dork. :)