Busy Parents - How do you make time for exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I workout during my lunch hour and then eat at my desk.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I make gym time, me time. I take a few hours in the morning before the kids get up and hit the gym.

This^^^

My kids are 2&4. I'm at the gym by 4:30 so I can be done around 6, home by 6:05am
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Will some sort of alarm go off if you get out of your chair at work? Could you get an exercise ball to sit on instead, or just stand and do body weight squats or something? Also, chasing a 2 1/2 year old is a lot of work. Throw the kid in the yard and run around like crazy people.
  • amlyrod
    amlyrod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation! My hubby goes to work super early (3 am) and comes home late a lot of days (he commutes to his job) so i don't have the opportunity to work out before or after work due to taking care of my 2 year old. The only time i am really finding is taking some time out of my lunch break to exercise.
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My kids love working out with me. I have 4. 3 girls ages 11, 2 and 2 months and a boy 5. I turn on 30 Day Shred and they line up beside me and start jumping around. They find it fun. Pop in a work out video or go on youtube and give it a go. I was surprised it worked. Makes it easy to work out when the kids are entertained as well. Not to mention, it's beyond funny watching the kids try and do some of the moves.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You'll have to get a little creative. I did the split-shift thing too, so I know how that can go, except I worked days so I could get up early and hit the gym before work, while my husband & kids were sleeping. It still kind of sucked.

At least your son is getting to an age where you should be able to do some workouts with him - google "playground workouts" and see if there's one that looks like it'll fit you. (Please. I shouldn't be the only crazy mom doing pullups on the monkey bars, let's start a trend!) Or you can look for bodyweight circuit workouts - most of them take about 20 minutes, 30 with a quick warmup & cooldown, and you can do them at home while your kid tries to copy you, which can be pretty funny. I've been doing "You Are Your Own Gym" while traveling lately, it seems like a pretty good system, but there are plenty of free ones on the web too.

There are also tons of free videos if you like a guided workout - I've never used Fitnessblender, but I know people like it, and I have done the "Fit For Duty" videos that the Pentagon puts out on their YouTube channel, they have a couple of great full-body bodyweight/resistance band workouts.

Mostly you just kind of have to do it - and remember than anything is better than nothing. Even if you just do five minutes of jumping jacks a few times a day, you'll feel better than if you have to just sit all the time.
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Kids club!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. Sometimes my 3 year old daughter will come in to "spot for me". She'll say things like "You can do it Dad!" or "Good job!"... and sometimes she says "Do it again."

She's like a mini-Jillian Michaels.
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    See if they will let you use a stability ball to sit on instead of a chair... It is work to stay on those all day long and you can do some sit down exercises with it.?? Or if your watching Tv at home do some stretching?
  • Danette73
    Danette73 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a full time job and three children and I just got my college degree as well, and I go to the gym in the mornings before they get up at 4:30-5:00. Granted my kids are older than yours, but you have to figure out when your partner may be home for you to get in 30 minutes or so to exercise. DVD's work great also if you are home b/c you can just put them in and work out with your child right there. Also dancing is fun for me. When I am home cooking or playing with the kids, I turn on some music and just move. It all helps in the end. Good luck!!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Just accept that this time in your life is NUTS, and get in things where you can. I find that the more I got anxious or beat myself up about what I WASN'T doing, the less energy I had for anything -- beating the crap outta yourself when life is just nutty and you're doing the best you can just wears you out.

Some things I did? I used to take my son for a stroller walk for an hour before lunch -- all over town, fast as I could go, and up hills. He loved it because he loved to be out, and I got in my "exercise" without feeling like I was shoving him somewhere while I did it. I played "chase" with him in the house (we have a long hallway down the middle of the house), even just for a few minutes. I wasn't always great at fitting it in, but I tried.

There were also some good workouts on our cable system -- free stuff, changed all the time, and in different categories, like kickboxing, yoga, aerobics, whatever your taste. I'd do one after he went for a nap, even if it was the last thing I wanted to do.

I can't imagine working nights, though. :noway: :noway: What really gave me consistency was getting up at 5:30 a.m. every morning before anyone was awake (and before I could think straight) and getting my hour in at the gym before anyone needed me. I could also walk to my gym from home (my warm-up and cool-down). Then again, I didn't have to be at work until 8:30 a.m.

Hang in there -- it's hard. But think of it as your "YOU" time / sanity time instead of something you SHOULD be doing. That always made me a little more excited to make time for it.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I work FT & have an 11 & 9yr old. Throughout the day @ work everytime I use the restroom I do squats, lunges & pushups against the sink, it all adds up. I also eat about an hour before my lunch break, which is late in the day @ 2:30ish & use my lunch hour to workout, if you can’t go workout then a lunchtime walk. If I have to run errands during my lunch hour then I WILL do something after work, either @ home on my treadmill, a bike ride w/the kids, or a workout video w/my daughter. There is always something you can do. The exercise will give you more energy & it’s also a great feel good mood enhancer. All this is all coming from someone that used to hate & dread exercise, now I love it. You can do this!
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I work from home doing child care but my husband works at an office during the day & from home 5 nights a week. We have 2 kids (10 & 4) so we have a short window between supper ending & kids bedtime to fit something in, usually about an hour & a half. So I had to come up with a plan. We trade off nights. A few nights a week I go for a walk alone, he stays with kids. Then at least twice a week he will go for a bike ride & I stay with kids. We also have a walking trail that we love so we take the kids & go there at least once a week, sometimes more depending on our week. The kids ride their bikes & we walk. Now that its summer & school is out (he drops off our daughter every morning), he rides his bike to work whenever the weather is good. He also uses his lunch hour to go for a 30min walk or ride on his bike. This allows me the evenings to go as often as I like or weather permits since he got his exercise in during the day.

It isn't easy but you have to make it a priority. If you are short on time & get maybe an hour with your husband, then use that hour a few times a week (3-4times) to do something. Either get your husband involved too or tell him that you are taking that time for yourself. I find it a great way to de stress when I get out alone for a walk & since I've been exercising I have alot more energy. It doesn't have to be 7 days a week, 3-4 days is still better then nothing at all!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I duplicate...Even when mine were very little, I would turn the radio up and dance around the living room! They would boogie, too! (wears 'em out pretty good, too!) Or I would sit them on my feet and do crunches or situps. You can also lay on the floor, put your feet on the couch, then have them sit on your feet and do them that way, too. hip raises in that position work pretty well.

Some other ideas are to put the little people in a stroller and go for a walk, particularly if there are some hilly areas nearby. Park as far as you can from the entrance to stores and give piggy back rides through the parking lot (carefully, of course)! my daughter loved that one!

Take the stairs as often as you can at work, use the entrance farthest away from your car, take a lap around the building...

I have a set of bungee resistance bands that I use on the rare occaisions I am in my office and I can do curls or squats with them. I've also seen on Amazon a set of bike pedals or step pedals that go under your desk and you can change the resistance settings on them -I haven't tried them, so I don't know how effective they are, but they look pretty interesting.

I hope you get an idea or two from the community to help you out!
  • johnna1212
    johnna1212 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think a 2 1/2 year old is the best gym equipment you can have. Take him for picnics in the park, you have dinner there, play on the equipment and run around. It's quality time with your child and great exercise for you. Come home give him a bath and he'll be out in no time. When we were kids we didn't need to work out. We played, hard. I see so many moms sitting at the park while their kids run around. Run with him, Concentrate on making big movements when you push them on the swing. Bring a ball and chase it around. Have fun with your child. You will be in great shape in no time.