Protein Shake w/ No Blender

Options
norahwynn
norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
(I've done a search for this specific topic, and didn't really see my exact question. I apologize if this has been asked before and I just missed it)

I want to start incorporating a protein shake after my daily workout. The only problem is, the majority of the time my workout is at the gym at work (during the week), and though I do have a blender, I really don't want to bring it to work to make my post workout shake.

Seeing as I've never made a shake using protein powder, I have a few questions please.

Do you have to use a blender to make protein shakes? I've seen those shake jars w/ the blender balls, but I wonder if it gets all the clumps out. Since I wouldn't be using ice, banana's or other things that need to be blended, will my shaken shake have a creamy consistency? What can I add to it besides milk or water to make it more tastier since fruit is not an option?

And finally, in my research, I've seen and heard about Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein. Any opinions on this brand?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The blender bottles can get most of the chunks out, depending on the type of powder you get. Some of them are just hopelessly clumpy. If you mix it with only water or milk it is not going to have a milkshake like consistency, it is going to be thin, like a regular drink. Try adding some other powdered things in to make the taste more bearable if the protein powder alone is nasty, like PB2 or cocoa powder.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Blender bottles are not as perfect as a blender, but they get the job done. What I prefer is to use my electric blender to make lots of shakes and portion them out in the blender bottles so I'm not having to shake clumps out and have crap stick to the side. And ON is pretty much the no-BS benchmark for protein powders. I like to add sugar free coffee syrups to mine (I make a killer Almond Joy protein shake).
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A post workout protein shake isn't necessary, you could just have a snack...if you're even hungry at all. That being said ON Gold Standard mixes great in a blender bottle. As far as making it tastier/creamier some PB2 or instant coffee compliments and milk the Double Chocolate flavor nicely imo.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Why not make your shake in a blender in your apartment before you head to the gym, put it in a travel container, and drink it post workout? That way you CAN do things like add bananas and berries. More variety is a good thing!

ON is what I use, it tastes OK. It's not overly sweet, but not unsweet either. I used Body Fortress before they changed their formula, and I found that sweeter and more "chocolaty". ON doesn't really clump, and it has a decent amount of protein.

Hope that helps!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    And finally, in my research, I've seen and heard about Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein. Any opinions on this brand?

Thanks in advance!

highest quality one I've found, I'm sensitive to the low quality ones. I use the whey and the casein exclusively. The casein is super thick, so you have to use a lot of water for it. I do add instant coffee for flavor.

The blender bottles are magic, the Optimum Nutrition product is so high quality that it dissolves really well, most others dissolve like rocks.

git er dun
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Blender bottles - I use them almost daily.

As for protein powder, I'm on a dietary one for food allergies, so you'll just need to see what everyone else says.

I usually mix my protein powder with almond milk or regular milk, but you can always use water too if you're being calorie conscious :smile:
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Blender bottles are not as perfect as a blender, but they get the job done. What I prefer is to use my electric blender to make lots of shakes and portion them out in the blender bottles so I'm not having to shake clumps out and have crap stick to the side. And ON is pretty much the no-BS benchmark for protein powders. I like to add sugar free coffee syrups to mine (I make a killer Almond Joy protein shake).

Recipe please!

I make mine in advance because I add fruit and just put it in a small lunch kit with an ice brick and it's still cold and shake consistency when I drink it an hour or so later.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I never use a blender, because that would just be one more thing to wash and I'm too darn lazy. The blender bottles work fine for me. It does end up with a milk like consistency, but I'm fine with that. I generally either do skim milk + chocolate powder + 1tbs PB2, or skim milk + vanilla powder, + 2 tbs canned pumpkin and a dash of pumpkin pie spice. I think they both are yummy.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I use a blender bottle 99% of the time. ON Gold Standard mixes just fine with water in one of those. The double rich chocolate is great - awesome mixed with milk, totally drinkable mixed with water.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    (I make a killer Almond Joy protein shake).

I use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze unsweetened almond coconut milk and chocolate protein--that tastes just like Almond Joy!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. Blender bottles are awesome. If you shake it well enough, you won't have any clumps. I use them all the time to mix protein powder and water and don't end up with clumps. I also use them to beat eggs. Works great for that too.

2. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey....very good Whey protein and great flavors (except for cookies and cream)....BUT, might I recommend that you also consider Trutein. Trutein has 3 types of protein that digest at different rates. The thing that distinguishes Trutein from other protein powders that claim to have all 3 proteins is that most other proteins do not tell you what % of each protein is in the mix. Meanwhile, Trutein tells you exactly what the breakdown is in its protein. Also, I can tell you that I have not tasted a better protein powder than Cinnabun....its like post-workout dessert.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    blender-bottle.jpg

Thanks in advance!

highest quality one I've found, I'm sensitive to the low quality ones. I use the whey and the casein exclusively. The casein is super thick, so you have to use a lot of water for it. I do add instant coffee for flavor.

The blender bottles are magic, the Optimum Nutrition product is so high quality that it dissolves really well, most others dissolve like rocks.

git er dun

I do add instant coffee for flavor.

Your opinion in all matters of importance have now become all but void.
  • kkveggie
    kkveggie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch breaks and what I do is make a protein shake in the morning, put it in a travel thermos mug, and stick it in the refrigerator at work. I usually make my shakes really thick by using frozen fruit, protein powder, and water. Then when I finally drink it the shake is cold from the refrigerator and still a slushy from the frozen fruit!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the shaker cup with the ball its good when hes at work. If you want a creamy consistency you need to try BSN Dessert! adding cinnamon makes them taste better also
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use an old coke bottle (20 oz size) fill with distilled water, milled falx seed and protein powder (Body Fortress from Wal-Mart) and shake 20- 30 seconds. No lumps.
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition with yogurt, milk, and occasionally flaxseed shaken in an old mason jar... about half the time, it easily gets all the chunks out, but the other half there are still some there. I just keep shaking it as I drink it, good enough for me. Wish I could figure out what's making the difference though.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback! I think ON is what I'm going to try, but I'll look into Trutein. I feel much more comfortable using a blender bottle, but I really like the idea of making them in advance and portioning them out, and also keeping them in a thermos or using an ice block.

Thanks so much! You guys are awsome, and I want to give you all a :flowerforyou: