Advice!

Options
So I have been working at this weight loss for a little over a year. I had full steam in the beginning and lost quickly working very hard at it. I lost just over 100 pounds in just over a year. For the last few months I am really struggling. I cannot seem to get past this plateau I have been on. I try to work out most days, I started running, not great at it but will spend time on my treadmill alternating between running and a fast walk. I also do aerobics and sometimes in the same day sometimes alternating days, and work out with kettle ball weights. I typically do at least 30 minutes of exercise most days, more often it is over 60 minutes. I have a underactive thyroid so I take medicine for this. I also take vitamins every day to make sure I am not missing any vital nutrients. I am eating anywhere from 1200 to 1400 calories a day, typically under 150 carbs and 70 + protein. I cannot get the scale to move. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I am still very heavy and would like to lose a additional 60 to 80 pounds to be where I want to be. I am very stressed as a single mom and have a very high stress job...but I just dont get it. Any advice would be so so much appreciated!
Thanks!!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1200-1400 calories or NETTING 1200-1400 calories. It makes a difference. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but a lot of us have found that our weight loss stalls if we eat too little. I was eating 1200-1400 calories and exercising every day and didn't lose a thing for two months. Upped my intake a bit and the weight started to come off again. If you aren't already, consider eating back at least a portion of your exercise calories and see what happens.
  • caseyann20032003
    caseyann20032003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah just eating 12 to 1400 calories a day, I never eat my exercise calories, but maybe I should try it for a week and see if I can finally see the scale move! Thanks for the advice :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yeah just eating 12 to 1400 calories a day, I never eat my exercise calories, but maybe I should try it for a week and see if I can finally see the scale move! Thanks for the advice :)

Try it for more than a week. Depending on how your body reacts you may see increased water weight the first week or two as your body replenishes its glycogen stores, masking whatever fat loss is going on.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Ditto, try it for more than a week.

Also, you've been losing for a long time, and have lost a lot (congrats, by the way!) Have you had a diet break at all? http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Also, check this one out: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

ETA: One more thing, stress, particularly cortisol levels, can have an effect on weight loss.
  • 1wskygrl
    1wskygrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Change up your exercise routine. If you tend to do the same things, try something new. Really hit some weights.. I personally love squats and lunges! use some hand weights for upper body while sitting in a stationary squat. Jump rope, do steps. Stand next to a bench with some free weights and step up and down alternating legs, do 3 sets of 20 reps, and change up the arm motions (bicep curls, lateral raise, etc)
    Also, what is your diet like?Do you tend to eat the same things over and over? Shake it up a bit. Good Luck, and I hope something here helps out :)
    Jen