Should I up my Calories, Help?

Options
I am really in need of advice. So I've been eating at 1200-1400 calories for about 8 months. And so far I lost 9 pounds. As for my workouts, I usually do insanity or I would send 2hrs 5xs a week at the gym doing some type of class. Now my Tdee is 2220. Also, I'm on my feet 7 hrs while I'm working. I used a polar hrm and I burn about 900-1100 calories alone at work. So if you were me how many calories would you eat? How much exercise is too much? I'm wondering if my metabolism is damage because I haven't lost any weight in 4 months? I also have a body fat caliper and i have lost much body fat. But i have lost 2 inches off my waist. Now my current plan is hip hop abs for 2 months. I'm also 5'2, female, 30% body fat, 150 pounds, ..thanks for ur time

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like you should up your calories. Or, more accurately, you should be logging your exercising and letting MFP work as designed.

Insanity comes with a nutrition guide, doesn't it? I'm going to bet it doesn't suggest 1200-1400 calories.
  • lashonda28
    lashonda28 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek yes insanity comes with a guide n it said I should eat 1900 calories, I started to eat that but I put on weight the first week, I didn't know if that was normal so I went right back down to 1400 calories and now that I completed that workout, I didn't lose any weight. I also log all my workouts accurately, I use my polar hrm for each workout.
  • 01petley
    01petley Posts: 2
    Options
    Reducing your calorie intake too much will put you into starvation mode where it becomes increasingly difficult to loss any weight. Considering the very high level of energy output vs low calorie intake that you appear to be doing you might actually be damaging your health as well as not shedding pounds. Increase your food.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    @diannethegeek yes insanity comes with a guide n it said I should eat 1900 calories, I started to eat that but I put on weight the first week, I didn't know if that was normal so I went right back down to 1400 calories and now that I completed that workout, I didn't lose any weight. I also log all my workouts accurately, I use my polar hrm for each workout.

It's not uncommon to see a gain on the scale when you start a workout program, especially one as intense as Insanity, because our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and heal them, masking any fat loss that's happening.
  • lashonda28
    Options
    Ok I understand that, now should I just up my calories right away or do I have to up them increase them little by little? On scooby it says I should eat 1807 calories a day I included that I work out 5xs a week, now that I have at calculation do I eat any exercise calories back or just the 1807? My tdee was 2220.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Ok I understand that, now should I just up my calories right away or do I have to up them increase them little by little? On scooby it says I should eat 1807 calories a day I included that I work out 5xs a week, now that I have at calculation do I eat any exercise calories back or just the 1807? My tdee was 2220.

If you include your exercise routine in your TDEE calculations then no, you don't eat those calories back. They're already accounted for. It's up to you how quickly you increase your calories, but if you make a big jump you might see some increased water weight on the scale for a week or two. Be ready for it and don't freak out when you see it.
  • lashonda28
    Options
    Thanks Dianne...I really appreciate your help and input