'Rolling Stone' defends Tsarnaev cover

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't tried to use soft lighting and other effects to make him look like a young sexy pop star...

This is along the lines of my thinking. They could have used an unflattering picture, or Photoshop effects to make him look less sexy and perhaps more sinister. This cover was being compared to them putting Charles Manson on the cover in 1970, but Manson didn't look like a model on that cover.

I don't agree with this either...i don't think we need to demonize him...

that's not fair ...

but make him look normal, don't photoshop him, don't soft light him, don't airbrush out the imperfections and style his hair and make him look like music stars we have seen and idolised...

why put him on the cover at all....why not put another piece as the cover and have the article still in there...

I don't agree with demonizing, but I also don't agree with romanticising...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it's a valid cover story. I think that it's purpose was to challenge our ideas about what a terrorist is and how fairly normal kid in America can become radicalized. I don't think it's an attempt to make him into a Rockstar nor make light of what happened.

Or is the issue that he doesnt have a beard/turban or that it's not a stereotypical racist caricature of him?

That's a good point. But will people actually see the article?

Fixed.

So you think the public won't get past the cover?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they knew the sh!tstorm that they were going to create by doing this...

That said, I disagree with the type of image they used. They shouldn't beautify someone of his character. They should have used a less "rockstar"-ish image....like maybe the pathetic mug shot?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I think it's a valid cover story. I think that it's purpose was to challenge our ideas about what a terrorist is and how fairly normal kid in America can become radicalized. I don't think it's an attempt to make him into a Rockstar nor make light of what happened.

Or is the issue that he doesnt have a beard/turban or that it's not a stereotypical racist caricature of him?

Fixed.

Many people wont. They are the people that live in the world of sound-clips and talking points & blowhard "news" commentators. They will be outraged at the cover (likely cause they heard they should be), but wont actually read it to get context

I think many people will read it (some simply because of this controversy) and hopefully it will help continue a dialogue as to how a person does such a terrible thing and how we can spot warning signs to prevent it.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Fixed.

Most of what I'm hearing is that people wont even buy it .. so yeah, I dont think most people will get past the cover.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    whats the big deal? Time had Bin Laden on the cover. Rolling Stone does lots of serious articles.

im sure they picked a picture they knew would draw attention but so what?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Didn't check the article, or read and responses... but it's a magazine which likes to push the envelope... and they did just that. The only reason it was stupid was because it's still too soon... but really, if they had done it next month, it would have been "last months' news".

I don't hate. They're just doing their job.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think it is insensitive. While they have a right to do it, it is symptom of society's major issues. I would never buy it.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    it wouldn't have bothered me if they hadn't tried to use soft lighting and other effects to make him look like a young sexy pop star...

how many teens are gonna fall in love with him based on the cover and never bother to even read what he did?

it's just sad really

lol, Rolling Stone did not shoot the picture. It was a "selfie" that has been used by other media outlets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dzhokhar+Tsarnaev&source=lnms&tbm=isch

There aren't really a ton of choices to pick from.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I think it is insensitive. While they have a right to do it, it is symptom of society's major issues. I would never buy it.

I'm buying several, then hoping to hell RS caves to pressure and pulls it. In New England CVS and Tedeschi's have already announced they wont carry that issue.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

how many teens are gonna fall in love with him based on the cover and never bother to even read what he did?

it's just sad really

lol, Rolling Stone did not shoot the picture. It was a "selfie" that has been used by other media outlets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dzhokhar+Tsarnaev&source=lnms&tbm=isch

There aren't really a ton of choices to pick from.

thank you...i just googled him...and i found a lot of different normal images of his that they could have used....

so it validates my point....selfie or not...they picked the most handsome picture with the best lighting effects
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I dont support terrorist. I kill them
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    [thank you...i just googled him...and i found a lot of different normal images of his that they could have used....

so it validates my point....selfie or not...they picked the most handsome picture with the best lighting effects

Which one would you have chosen?

I only looked at the first full page, but the rest are all pretty much too light, too dark, composed oddly or out of focus.

Is this the best available picture to be used for a cover image? IMO, probably.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I'm buying several, then hoping to hell RS caves to pressure and pulls it. In New England CVS and Tedeschi's have already announced they wont carry that issue.

A lot of Walgreens decided that too.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if journalistic integrity was at all a concern they would have avoided the glamorous pretty boy photo on the cover.

http://thatswhatshesaidboston.com/2013/07/dear-rolling-stone/

This person says it better than me to be honest.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
  • JUDDDing
    Options

Meh. Using it to gain political capital is as bad as putting him on the cover to start with.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I don't think they should give this POS any more attention. I think the news media is worse though.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If they really wanted him to look sexy they woulda had him do the janet jackson pose. in all seriousness though, the editors and publishers of Rolling Stone magazine should be forced to walk down the streets of Boston holding up the issue.

rolling-stone-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-cover-2.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When is the Osama Bin Laden cover?

Is his beard sexy enough to sale lame magazines?

*who reads magazines anymore?