Anyone with a LapBand for a weight loss tool?

Options
:bigsmile: I've been considering the LapBand for help with my weight loss. Have any of you had this procedure and if so has it helped with your weight loss journey. I've been in this program for three months, have three more to go before the surgery and was just wondering if I'm making the right decision.

Replies

• GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know it is a very personal journey and it will be different for everyone. That being said, it did not work for me. I spent $15,000 of my own dollars and in the end I could not deal with the sensations and getting food stuck and such. I am not sure how much more research I could have done as I feel I went in to it with my eyes wide open. There was just no way to know that the swallowing, gagging, sliming, etc. would be such an issue for me. For many it is not too bothersome. I had no gag reflex issues before the surgery and having had all of my fill removed have no problems now. I simply have a very expensive band inside me with no fill and for me, was a complete waste of time, energy and money.

I did buy into the mentality that it is simply a tool to help with weight loss, but hindsight being 20/20, if I am honest with myself I did expect it to do the majority of the work in helping me to lose weight. I think anyone who gets the band, if they are really really really honest with themselves, is hoping and expecting the same thing. At the end of the day when I spend time here and see the people that are truly successful for the long tern....it is because they eat less, eat well and exercise. We all know there is no magic pill, potion or "tool". It just comes down to sacrifice and hard work.

I wish you much success and health in your journey, whatever you decide to do.

Edited to add: You will see that I originally joined this site in 2010 but today is the very first time I have ever posted. I just started getting truly active here as of July 5th of this year and your question was just too important for me not to give my knowledge on. It is a huge decision.
  • SrStillKicking
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I'm going to stay with myfitnesspal and record daily my meals and snacks and see if this will help with my weight loss. As I said in my previous post, I'm just not sure if the band is for me.
  • aka_sodapop
    Options
    Hi Sr-I was banded on June 12, 2013. My journey with my band has just begun.I had debated for years about gastric surgery- and did not enter into surgery lightly.After tons of research, and alot of soul searching. I decided that the band was the right choice for me. After reaching my highest weight at 270 pounds I knew the time for waiting was over. How I decided which surgery was best for me was easy-I worked in nursing for 22 years and decided- I wanted the choice of reversal, the least amount of recovery time, a slow and steady weightloss, and the safest procedure available.... the lapband met all of the requirements.I have been working with the greatest team ever at my bariatric center for the past 7 months. I have lost 20 pounds since the first of June- and I haven't been in for my first fill yet. I am pleased so far with the band,and I am feeling better every day. I admit there is no quick fix, and you have to work to acheive any goal. It is indeed a lifestyle change that you must be comitted to. Good luck- if you have any questions I would be happy to share any information.
  • lilliepowell
    lilliepowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was banded on May 17, 2013 so I am fairly new to this journey as well; however, I do think it was a great decision for me. I'm down 35 pounds and it makes me very conscious of what I eat. The tool does limit how much you eat and the portion and exercise as with any wls helps to boost the weight to come off. As of now, I can say that I'm HONESTLY pleased with my band. I will say that I did think it was going to be easier than what it is. I think any wls surgery is going to be hard because it really makes you change your thinking about food.
  • aka_sodapop
    Options
    Lillie- how did your first fill go? I get my first done on the 15th.
  • tomander
    tomander Posts: 4
    Options
    I just celebrated my 7th year "Banniversary". The lapband was the best investment I ever made in my health. It saved my life.

The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

I started with a 54" waist now I'm a 30" waist.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me. I also have free long distance and would would be happy to chat with you on the phone.

Tom, Toronto
    Banded July 6 06
    Wt. Loss: 160 lbs
    tomander@bell.net
  • aka_sodapop
    Options
    Tom- Congrats..... seven years that is so awesome. I too, hope to be a sucess story for the lapband. I am so glad I decided on the lap band surgery-I wish I had done it sooner also. I feel better already!:smile:
  • Rhonda_K_K
    Rhonda_K_K Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello Sr. I just had my lapband surgery on July 2, 2013. I've considered weight loss surgery for years but my prior insurance companies wouldn't pay for it in the past. Thank God my insurance company that I have now paid for it. I have just fininshed up my protein shakes/broth diet and moved on to pureed foods today. I had do do protein shakes two weeks prior to my surgery and two weeks after my sugery and I have lost 30 pounds as of today. I am healing up nicely and feeling good. I am glad that I was finally able to get this done. I did lots of research about the procedure before I had it done and feel that I have made the right one for me.

I want to also say Congrats to Tom. I hope my band success will be like yours. Keep up the great work!

Lillie and Sodapop good luck to you! I wish you much success. Just follow your doctors orders.
  • sbenskin001
    sbenskin001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning! I am very nervous and excited. I know it is only a tool but I believe I can make it a tool for my success. I have no experience to share yet all I have done is the preop shake diet which has been very hard partially because I should have planned better and not had family vacation in the middle of it (poor excuse I know). I cant wait to post again post op and tell you how it goes for me. As far as anyone deciding to get the band it has to be their own decision and something they are ready for I believe. I first considered it over three years ago and decided to try all kinds of other changes first with mild success. I have been a blog junkie this time cause I feel reading about the real life experiences are going to be helpful and hopefully make me more prepared as well as not sugar coat what this decision is truly going to take. I chose to move forward and I will wake up in less than 30 hours as a Banded Lady :)
  • Rhonda_K_K
    Rhonda_K_K Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your lapband surgery. I'm sending good vibes your way. I had my surgery on July 2, 2013. A little something to help you is I experienced a lot of gas pain after the surgery that lasted for about 4 days. I was able to take Gas X strips. They help a lot. Also, I experienced left shoulder pain and it was from the gas as well. I slept in my husbands recliner for about 8 nights. Get lots of rest. Follow your doctors orders. My doctor had me walk 30 minutes every day even the day of my surgery. I was able to do little 10 minute walks through out the day. The walks will help you get rid of the gas as well. Looking forward to hearing from you. :smile: :smile:
  • heathcliffx
    Options
    hmm why did I read LapDance...

/walks way slowly
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    I has a lap band in 2008 (i think) and it didnt work for me. I found that I could eat around it and had it tightened twice but still i could eat around it. I occasionally get food stuck now and Im eating regualr portions. The only good thing it did for me was stop me from being able to eat an enormous 16" pizza all by myself plus wedges and garlic bread. I could never do that now. 2 slices and Im full! As someone above said, its different for everyone. I got mine in the Uk where there is no per-requirement to get therapyy/counseling before hand to deal with food issues. I really wish I'd had that to be honest.
  • sbenskin001
    sbenskin001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Surgery went well. Lots of gas pain and walking. Go for my first check up on friday to check the band positioning. So far I am very happy I choose the lap band. There are studies showing even without major weight loss it can be a major help with diabetes which I was diagnosed with this spring. I came home from the hospital off one of my worst diabetes medicines. YAY! More posts to come :)
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am currently working towards getting LapBand - looking at a possible October surgery date. I have done a ton of research and I really feel that it's the right things for me.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I know it is a very personal journey and it will be different for everyone. That being said, it did not work for me. I spent $15,000 of my own dollars and in the end I could not deal with the sensations and getting food stuck and such. I am not sure how much more research I could have done as I feel I went in to it with my eyes wide open. There was just no way to know that the swallowing, gagging, sliming, etc. would be such an issue for me. For many it is not too bothersome. I had no gag reflex issues before the surgery and having had all of my fill removed have no problems now. I simply have a very expensive band inside me with no fill and for me, was a complete waste of time, energy and money.

I did buy into the mentality that it is simply a tool to help with weight loss, but hindsight being 20/20, if I am honest with myself I did expect it to do the majority of the work in helping me to lose weight. I think anyone who gets the band, if they are really really really honest with themselves, is hoping and expecting the same thing. At the end of the day when I spend time here and see the people that are truly successful for the long tern....it is because they eat less, eat well and exercise. We all know there is no magic pill, potion or "tool". It just comes down to sacrifice and hard work.

Edited to add: You will see that I originally joined this site in 2010 but today is the very first time I have ever posted. I just started getting truly active here as of July 5th of this year and your question was just too important for me not to give my knowledge on. It is a huge decision.

If the band did not help you, because you have poor food relationships and negative thoughts, there are other options. You can message me and I can give you some info that helps with the mental parts of weight loss.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options

If the band did not help you, because you have poor food relationships and negative thoughts, there are other options. You can message me and I can give you some info that helps with the mental parts of weight loss.

Sharon the problem with the band was not poor food relationships and negative thoughts. If you re-read my post it was a physical problem. As far as my current situation you will see that I am down 17 pounds having just started to log and be involved on MFP as of July 5th of this year. Things are well for me and it is simply about eating less, healthy choices, plenty of water and moving more. Take care and good luck in your journey.
  • bandedjack
    bandedjack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 3 days into my pre-op diet and less than 12 days away from my own lap band surgery. A great source of information is youtube. Several people have kept a video log of their weight loss journey. I highly recommend "bandedwendy" and Brad and Jen Kopp ("JenKopp"). I am also doing one--there's not near as many men who do this as women. You can find me at "bandedjack" on youtube and "Banded Jack" on Facebook.

Jack
  • heergenealogy
    Options
    Hi just joined myfitnesspay and fitbit (we have the scale and hubby has the flex band). I was banded 6 years ago on Monday, Aug 10th, 2007. My sister asked me to be her bridesmaid exactly 1 month after I had chosen and submitted all my paperwork to my insurance company to have it covered. I was mortified in the dress we all wore, two of us were about the same weight, which was 240 lbs and 5'2. all of her bridesmaids had large chests (why not share), most of us were DD. so the floor length skirt and halter top in deep red was so not a fantastic idea. I still have it actually as a reminder. My sister's wedding was May 2nd, and my surgery in Aug, by the time early Dec 2007 rolled around I had lost 80lbs and together we went on a shopping trip for clothes for me to wear on my first cruise set for Christmas 2007. I had the dress taken in for the trip and as close as a week before I'd even be wearing it. Figured I'd still need spanx etc. What I really needed was a lot of Hollywood tape? No spanx needed:) Turned out a had lost another 25 lbs by that night. My lapband surgery was the best thing I've ever done next to marrying my boyfriend, now husband. I was so worried that in a few years I'd be struggling to get around with the extra weight, and I was completely sick of trying to find size 24 jeans for a 5'2 person...........After one year I lost 100lbs and its gone up and down here and there, but now at almost 46 yrs I'm very happy I did it. My niece had it done too, two days after me, completely different hospital and she has lost 250 lbs, and has a flat tummy for now..........she's expecting her 3rd kid this fall.

As for fitness, I have knee, foot, lower & upper back arthritis. All of which make finding inexpensive exercise alternatives very hard. I finally got some better shoes, Dansko's (had the sandels and clogs) these are gym shoes basically, and so comfortable. I'm going to work with my neighbor to find a power adapter for her used treadmill so we can both use it. We live in the Chicago area and seems spring will be a whole lot later this year for exercise outside.

I'm looking for lapbanders that have problems as I do with eating bread, etc. I don't eat much dairy, don't like and allergic, but I do some yogurts with hemp seeds (lots, lots of protein-2 tsp have like 10g). I'm having problems getting enough fruit which doesn't get "stuck". Also, for any newbee's, after my cruise trip, about 6 months after surgery, I found I had a cracked molar from chewing so much more..........be careful.

Jennifer
    banded 10 Aug 2007
  • heergenealogy
    Options
    Oh and since joining lost 4 1/2 lbs since 31 Mar 2017.
    Hubby has lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks, so unfair. But he's got the fitbit flex.