Salad advice needed..

Options
sweetlyybroken
sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
Hi :) So I finally made a salad I could (maybe) enjoy eating every day.

5 oz artisan lettuce,
1/4 sliced red onion,
1 gala apple (sliced)
5 baby carrots (chopped)
1/2 cup diced chicken breast
2 T light Italian dressing blended with 1 T hummus.

It was great, and the chicken gave me 19 g of protein for just over 100 calories! However. I've been paying 6$ a week for frozen chicken breasts, and I don't like spending that much, silly as that may seem.

Does anyone have suggestions for a cost-effective, high protein, relatively low calorie protein that goes well in salads? (And I don't like tuna. or fish. at all.)

Replies

• gawx
    gawx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    you could try and find a low calorie cheese x
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What kind of chicken breasts are you buying? I get a bulk 3lb pack at Wal-Mart for about $6. Lasts me about 2 weeks (only eat them for lunch).
  • goodbebe
    goodbebe Posts: 1
    Options
    I like low-salt canned or fresh garbanzos seasoned with garlic or pepper, or any other favorite seasoning. Sometimes I "marinate" them in wine vinegar.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    You can buy less popular cuts of chicken for less, like thighs.

If you buy it frozen, it's a little less.

Eggs are super cheap/high protein - hard boil them and cut them up on your salad with some bacon. Yums.

edit, oops. :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Canned Tuna. or buy raw fresh chicken breast cook them all at once then freeze them
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the oscar myer thin sliced lunch meat chopped up, a can of bush's seasoned low sodium pinto beans or their black beans both are yummm.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    garlic cilantro shrimp
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    cheese is too fatty and counter-productive to weight loss goals. I stock up on tuna and salmon when it's on sale. I like it because it's always in the cabinet, you don't have to worry about defrosting or anything. I also recommend checking out some seed blends. I really like Go Raw Spicy Seed Mix in my salads (it has pumpkin seeds, sunflower etc, and about 8 grams of protein). The bag seems pricey but it lasts forever, plus it adds a really nice crunch to my salads that I missed after giving up croutons and the like.

Hard-boiled eggs are another low-sot way to add protein. Beans and lentils are also budget friendly and add protein.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Cheese or beans!
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I also like salad topped with chili and salsa. Yum!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I usually add some type of bean to my salad. Black beans are my favorite. Great source of protein and fiber.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Canned Tuna. or buy raw fresh chicken breast cook them all at once then freeze them

This. There's also canned chicken, although I'm not a huge fan. There's only a ton in my pantry because it's hurricane season...
  • taraaaal
    taraaaal Posts: 13
    Options
    canned tuna is great in salad!

I have mine with:

lettuce
    canned tuna
    fresh tomato salsa
    a bit of cheese
    guacamole or avocado
    salt & pepper
    chipotle tabasco (great flavor makes a good substitute for salad dressing 0 cal)

I chop it up and have that for lunch a few times a week... its really good... you can also add some more stuff like black beans, chick peas, anything you like!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    As far as sources of protein go, nothing that's even close to chicken is going to be cheap. Especially not if you do not like fish. Beans are fine, and they are a nice source of fiber to boot, but they do not come close to 19 g in what would be a reasonable serving on a salad. Here's a list you might find useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • Menamia
    Menamia Posts: 2
    Options
    Well since you don't like tuna or fish, I would agree with those before me, buy chicken breast in bulk and cook it for the week. I normally do that anyway, am a strong believer in major food prep. You can even use zip loc bags and pre pack your chicken breast with fixing. Also you can use less chicken and add beans or mozzarella cheese to your salad for a protein kick-up. Hope this was helpful, smiles!!!!!