New Runners?

Options
jennnco
jennnco Posts: 516 Member
Hey future friends,
I'm working on teaching myself how to run and was wondering if anyone else is just beginning this process as well? It would be nice to have a few friends who are running newbs like me so we can swap tips and keep motivated! :)

Replies

• Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am! I have never ran in my life but I signed up for a race in 6 weeks and I am determined to be able to finish it! feel free to add me !
  • Mikeys_Girl
    Options
    I am a new runner also I signed up for a 5k in october, I am determined to finish this running not walking. feel free to add me!
  • fashioncapital1
    fashioncapital1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!.. Yup new to running!!.. I used to HATE running with a VENGANCE!! but i made it my new years RESO to start running.. i went for my First run on the First of Jan 2013! and i was like yea that was ok ill try nd do this at LEAST 10 times in a month....... I went for my SECOND Run on the 22nd of JUNE!!.. hahahahaha..so i hit reset watched a couple of running tip vids on youtube and been running for almost a month now.. ran/walked the cliff walk today :D:D i still consider my self a newb nd im thinking of signing up for something to to keep me motivated it would be a MASSIVE thing for me!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started running about a month and a half ago and I am (slowly) learning to like it. The key for me, at least, is to focus on the time spent running, not my distance or speed. I try to go for at least a half hour 3x a week and at my slow pace can usually get in 2.5-3 miles in that time. If you have a smartphone, I'd recommend downloading the Zombies, Run! app, it makes running SO MUCH fun!
  • jennnco
    jennnco Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I added all of you in hopes that this will keep me accountable in my progress. Right now I'm still at the run/walk stage but I hope to do my first all run within the next couple weeks!
  • willbefitchic
    Options
    I also just started running! I signed up for the Run and Dye 5K at Lambeau Field. Looking forward to it :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k program is also great, and there is an app.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I enjoy tracking my jogs with Runtastic or Endomondo. I am 52 and struggling with knees and Achilles tendons.... but as a youngster, I was a sprinting track star.

Intervals are key. Couch 2 5K rather uses them. Run a bit, walk to recover, run a bit....
  • DanPJ80
    DanPJ80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just go out and run. Might hurt the knees at the beginning but it goes away. Just go as far as you can, always go the extra mile, never set easy goals, drink water from sprinklers that go off, yell loud when running as needed, never stop, play music (pump up music), no excuses... One intersection at a time, force yourself to go at half the way one way so you HAVE TO come back and double...

Good luck
  • DanPJ80
    DanPJ80 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Avoid hard surfaces as concrete... go on the grass if possible... I run on the street, cant do laps...
  • Southampton_PT
    Southampton_PT Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    really want to become a better long distance runner. after playing football for most of my life its all start jog sprint in bursts so thought i'd give it a go. have to admit i struggled at first. ran 5k in the gym on the weekend without stopping but didnt know if it was 5k or 5 miles lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    really want to become a better long distance runner. after playing football for most of my life its all start jog sprint in bursts so thought i'd give it a go. have to admit i struggled at first. ran 5k in the gym on the weekend without stopping but didnt know if it was 5k or 5 miles lol

How long did it take?
  • renevate
    renevate Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to run for the 4th time. It seems every time I start making progress I get hurt and I have to stop to recover (the most recent injury was a fractured foot bone - one of the ones in the arch - I forget what it's called). It doesn't matter how slowly I take my couch to 5km (Zombies, Run! is my preferred poison), I still end up getting hurt. Anyway, I'm still determined to try. Even if I have to do week one training for 6 months, I will eventually work my way up to week 2.
  • MrActiveForLife
    MrActiveForLife Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am a runner myself! I'd be happy to give support and tips, if need be! :smile:
  • Southampton_PT
    Southampton_PT Posts: 21 Member
    Options

How long did it take?

about 28 mins :)
  • satdouthett
    satdouthett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently got back into running. Whether you're a newb, ex, or vet, the most important thing is to take care of your joints! Warm up and stretch! -And if you need to, take glucosamine supplements. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How long did it take?

about 28 mins :)

Probably 5k then
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i started running at the start of this year but have not been all that often. I quite enjoy it but i what i'm struggling with is my damn running leggings! i think i'll need to invest in some with a drawstring ¬___¬ small waist to big hips ratio doesn't keep trousers up :lol:

i run with spotify; like how they'll match the tempo to the speed that you're running at
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I started running last year, after a 15 year break from running (In the military). The Couch to 5K program is great for getting into running, and there's a lot of bridge programs, if you want to push yourself farther.

#1 Tip: If you're feeling like it's kicking your *kitten* when starting out, SLOW DOWN. Most new runners make the mistake of going all out, and exhausting themselves in the first couple of minutes.