Struggling

Options
When I first got into this trying to lose weight thing I was SO motivated and went to the gym regularly, packed my lunches and ensured I stayed where I should be with calories and ate nothing but healthy foods. I did this for some time and I've noticed next to no results. I see everyone talking about losing 8, 9, 10 lbs their first week and I lost 1. Have lost 5 up until right now. Then my boyfriend and I did the 21 day challenge and he lost a ton of weight immediately and, again, I lost very little weight. Don't get me wrong I am VERY proud of him and happy for him (and everyone else that has lost a lot of weight) but I was working very hard and still nothing, and now I've given up. I can't seem to find any motivation anywhere. I don't really have a reason for posting this, just needed to vent I guess. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I would schedule an appointment with your doctor. It could be a hormonal or thyroid problem. Good luck!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Slow weight lost...hummm yes check with your doctor.
  • Ashl3yS
    Options
    My boyfriend has been telling me to go see my doctor as well. I have a TON of weight to lose and my eating habits went from terrible to very good if not great, so I guess I almost expected to see at least a few lbs just fall off almost right away like what happened with him, but that hasn't happened at all.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Are you eating most of your alloted calories? I peeked at your food diary for the last week and it was either empty or shows like 400 calories eaten.

If you eat very little then your body, especially being a female body, will go into stavation mode and hold onto every little calorie. (That is how concentration camp victims were able to survive.)

There are topics that explain this in much better and scientific detail on this board. Do you want me to post the links here?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    When I first got into this trying to lose weight thing I was SO motivated and went to the gym regularly, packed my lunches and ensured I stayed where I should be with calories and ate nothing but healthy foods. I did this for some time and I've noticed next to no results. I see everyone talking about losing 8, 9, 10 lbs their first week and I lost 1. Have lost 5 up until right now. Then my boyfriend and I did the 21 day challenge and he lost a ton of weight immediately and, again, I lost very little weight. Don't get me wrong I am VERY proud of him and happy for him (and everyone else that has lost a lot of weight) but I was working very hard and still nothing, and now I've given up. I can't seem to find any motivation anywhere. I don't really have a reason for posting this, just needed to vent I guess. Thanks for listening!

I checked your dairy and it is empty, so since you haven't log your daily food, I can't tell if you are really eating healthy and according with your profile and goals. Please don't give up, try again. Really and totally log your food consumption daily and also your excercise routine, unless you do that you may never know if you are eating healthy, keeping within your calories allowance, and actually burning calories with your work out. You can do it!

Men loose weight faster than woman because they already have more muscle mass that allows them to do that. Dont' feel bad about your BF loosing more weight than you. It is not his fault, he was born with a Y chromosome, and you were born with two X. Nothing that you can do about it.

If you are a small frame woman and don't have much weight to loose, you will do it at a very slow rate. It could also be that you gained muscle mass with your work out, and the scale does not show that. Take your measurements and see how your clothes feel,

Above all, don't give up! You are young and you need to take care of your health now, don't wait until your are older because it will be more difficult. Even if you are not loosing much weight, eating healthy is good for you.

Hang in there and keep posting.
  • shababa2809
    Options
    I know how you feel .how is your work-out? Alot of people told me you cant alway stick to the same work-out ,you have to make it touger ang tougher every week.
    I lost 20 pound on my own( no gym or not even a fully healty diet) people start telling oh you look good but then i start going to the gym and everything went downhill,at gym i would work my butt off doing work-out,spending like 2hours three time a week.and then i saw no result..i was so dissapointed and i was like *kitten* this so i stop going to the gym for a month or so,didnt gain or loose anything ,i just maintain(which pissed me off) so now i started the gym again and i started to change my retouine. tomorrow is my weight -in.
    Sorry if my story didnt help much but i was tryna let you know that you're not alone and i know how it feel when you put 100% and loose nothing,and everyone around you is loosing weight.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem in the past. My husband and I go on the same diet and he looses alot of weight and I do not loose any ore very little. I was discouraged also. Then I told him he should just eat what he wants he does not need to loose weight. When I started on MPF he ate most of his normal stuff and lost wieght because I was not eating junk so he did not eat as much junk. I was not happy. I totally understand your frusteration. Just keep at it and make sure you log everything you eat , log all of your excersie and eat at least 1200 calories a day. It will all work out just keep at it. I know you can do this! If I can anyone can! Good Luck!
  • I just want to reply - Please, Please don't give up. I have been on the journey for over a year, I've only lost 28lbs thus far, but you know that's 28lbs that I no longer carry around. I was going faithfully to the gym last year for over a year, I recently stopped going to the gym in May and I've lost much more doing my dvds at home than when I was going to the gym 5 times out of a week. Please stay with it, because in the long haul you are going to be disgusted with yourself, I can truly tell you that from experience. I'm loosing slow, but thats ok, I'm still loosing and not gaining. Please get back on your journey we can travel this road together if you like, you can message me, and we can motivate and support each other. Please keep at it!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I checked your dairy and it is empty, so since you haven't log your daily food, I can't tell if you are really eating healthy and according with your profile and goals. Please don't give up, try again. Really and totally log your food consumption daily and also your excercise routine, unless you do that you may never know if you are eating healthy, keeping within your calories allowance, and actually burning calories with your work out. You can do it!

I agree. It's hard to know how you're actually eating if you're not logging it. I did see one day where you only had 170ish calories logged for the day. I really really hope that's cause you didn't log the rest, otherwise you are eating WAY to few calories and are doing bad things to your body.

Keep track of what you eat and try and hit your goal. It's great that you're eating healthier, but unless you're keeping track you could be eating more than you think, or way less.

Keep at it and be honest with your log. If it crosses your lips punch it in to see how much you've actually eaten over the course of the day.

Good luck. :-)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :drinker: never, never, never give up
    start immediately to log every single bite you eat.....weigh and measure everything.....log it onto MFP so you can see how it fits in with all the nutrients.....log every bit of exercise......check your food to make sure it is nutrition dense (no empty calories).....make small changes every day to make your eating healthier.......and don't ever compare your path with any man.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for helping my friend and lainmac you hit it right immediately the allotted calories. I have begged my friend to go from 500+ calories to the allotted calories however; many young ladies think that they can do less as if we will always do less the key is to develop good eating habits that last a life time not for a quick weight loss. Sometimes people loose water first if they retain a lot others will build muscle. I did both at first I was caught up in the weight like many under 40 however; now, I will take the toning to muscle any day to the fat.........She is going to do wonderful because she is back! I am going to make sure she logs in!!!!!!!!!!

I love you Ash, don't give up we have each other and rememer leanandmean is also on our team we have to encourage Paige she is doing the same thing as you less calories.
  • Ashl3yS
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is so nice to know I'm not alone! I haven't been logging my food on here because I have just been so frustrated, but I have still been logging everything with pen and paper. The day where I ate those very few calories I was just getting over being sick, so I couldn't stomach eating anything else after that.

Starting tomorrow, I am going to try to do better. I will log in here and I will stick with my food diary and my exercise diary and hopefully see some results. Thanks again to all of you.
  • woody562
    woody562 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey you!! Don't give up. I too lost a few pounds
    and now I seem to be at a stand still.
    But I'm walking three miles a day, eating
    healthy, drinking plenty of water and feeling
    so much better. We as woman are meant
    to have more fat I quess it has to do with
    reproduction. But we as woman are
    stubborn and we don't give up. I here for
    you and we will hit our goal. First and foremost
    remember, each and every day, you are
    getting healthier . You willake it!!
    Maria
  • Ashl3yS
    Options
    Thank you Maria
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Knowing more numbers has helped me. Now I'm a numbers freak.

1: I track all calories burned with my heart rate monitor.

2: I log in all calories, including snacks. I changed my MFP Goals to have a higher percentage of protein. I also added Sodium to the fat/carb/protein log. Sodium is kept under 2300 mg a day.

3: When I go to the gym I leave the cell phone in the car. I don't read, chat, or talk on the phone. I am at the gym to work.

4: Everyone knows that I'm watching what I eat. Family, friends, and coworkers. They don't even offer me ice cream or candy, because they KNOW that I am committed to this journey.

How committed are you?