What sparked your MFP "beginnings"?

Options
Everyone has to start somewhere, so what led you to joining MFP? (I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I'm curious!)

For me, it all began when I went dress shopping for my wedding. I found a ton of beautiful dresses online, and when it came to trying them on, I knew what I wanted (I actually bought the first and only dress I tried on!). But having to try on the size 20 and watching the skinny girls try on these gorgeous mermaid style and fit and flare style dresses and having them look seamless was incredibly depressing.

Then March 27th of this year, I went to my first physical in a very long time. The nurse asked me to step on the scale. Now I knew I'd gained a lot of weight, but I wasn't really sure where I stood. Until then, I'd never crossed the 200 pound threshold and had sworn I'd never get there. To my surprise, she told me I was 213.5. Once I sat down and stopped reeling from the shock, I started to cry. And cried. And cried.

And now here I am. Since then, I'm down 11 pounds. I bought a FitBit to hold me more accountable for my movement, I started going back to the gym, and I started using MFP again actively to track my food. My fiance (although loving me despite my weight) bought me a Groupon for personal training, and I begin tomorrow.

I'm most looking forward to getting a new lease on life, and no longer having my emotional, physical and sexual well being affected by being 100 pounds overweight.

Cheers to all of you, and good luck! (also, feel free to add me on here or FitBit if you want an active friend! I love getting the motivation!)

Replies

• pepperpotts1012
    pepperpotts1012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've started MFP several times, but decided that I needed to do it for real this time when I put on my wedding dress as well. I bought it back in December and put it on a couple weeks ago just to try on. I didn't think I gained much weight since I bought it, but it wasn't a breeze to zip either! My wedding is in October, so I am trying to lose some weight before then and continue the progress. No one wants to go to the beach and not feel hot right?!
    I've lost four pounds this week (I just started up again). My bridal shower is at the beginning of August and I'm hoping to try on my dress again then and hopefully it will be a breeze to get zipped. And if I have to get it altered to fit because I lose weight/inches... money well spent!
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    Good luck to you!

I never thought putting on a piece of clothing would inspire me to want to get healthy, but man, did it ever this time!

Congratulations on your current loss, too.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I got tired of estimating my macros and writing them down on paper.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A friend was successful on Lose It. I became addicted to Android apps, and found MFP to be my center.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Even though it sucks, I think that at least 90% of people on here have had that moment where everything just shatters and they decide to try and rebuild themselves. I actually feel like that moment is a blessing in disguise because you can always look back to it when you feel like quitting. This is a great site to help you on your journey for sure! And congrats on your weight loss so far! The toughest part is starting, and you've done it!

I guess my moment came when I was at the beach with gorgeous girls in bikinis all over the place (I live in Hawaii, so this is EVERYWHERE I go) and I saw a toned, healthy girl wearing the exact same swimsuit as me. Except she pulled it off much better. I chalked that up to me having a 36DD chest and short and that she was smaller busted and taller. We laughed at the fact that we were wearing the same suit and got to talking when we ended up going to the bathroom at the same time. She was the exact same bra size and only 1 inch taller than me. I decided it was time for a change and to stop denying the truth.
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks for sharing your stories!!

I have tried starting mfp SO many times but hitting 27 made me realise I didnt want to spend the rest of my 20's obese and the day after my birthday at the end of April I started tracking my food everyday and I am slowly picking up the intensity of my exercise.. I started doing 5km walks a few times a week, then using my stationary bike and this week I have started hitting the gym and doing intense classes. I have lost about 7 kilos since April and I dont intend to stop anytime soon and I always have a secret goal of getting to a healthy weight by my boyfriend and I's 9 year anniversary in November and wearing my 'at goal' dress I bought years ago and never ended up getting to wear coz I put on a lot of weight, really quickly.

I think why it has clicked this time is I am not beating myself up for going over calories, I just have a lighter dinner or a lighter day the next day to minimise the damage and I am using mfp like facebook, I am making lots of of supportive friends and I am getting active in the forums. I have also started a new job which I love recently in the library industry which I have wanted to do ever since I was 15 but didnt have the confidence to try and get into and I am close to finishing a library quaification and will be done by the end of the year.. I have a lovely unit which my boyfriend and I are slowly fixing up and I am off to Amercia for a holiday in September.. life is good.. so now I am wanting my body to match my life!

I am so excited about my healthy, new lifestyle.. and I really can't wait til I am putting on my 'at goal' dress and feeling really comfy in my 'at goal' body!!
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    I truly originally first started when I hit 204 pounds. I was in shock. I looked in the mirror and said 'NOPE you have GOT to go!'. So I spent ages researching the healthiest and best ways to lose weight, and after I completed that, I found an app called MFP and so far it's been my best buddy (no matter how many times I've fallen off the wagon).
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks for sharing your stories!!

I have tried starting mfp SO many times but hitting 27 made me realise I didnt want to spend the rest of my 20's obese and the day after my birthday at the end of April I started tracking my food everyday and I am slowly picking up the intensity of my exercise.. I started doing 5km walks a few times a week, then using my stationary bike and this week I have started hitting the gym and doing intense classes. I have lost about 7 kilos since April and I dont intend to stop anytime soon and I always have a secret goal of getting to a healthy weight by my boyfriend and I's 9 year anniversary in November and wearing my 'at goal' dress I bought years ago and never ended up getting to wear coz I put on a lot of weight, really quickly.

I think why it has clicked this time is I am not beating myself up for going over calories, I just have a lighter dinner or a lighter day the next day to minimise the damage and I am using mfp like facebook, I am making lots of of supportive friends and I am getting active in the forums. I have also started a new job which I love recently in the library industry which I have wanted to do ever since I was 15 but didnt have the confidence to try and get into and I am close to finishing a library quaification and will be done by the end of the year.. I have a lovely unit which my boyfriend and I are slowly fixing up and I am off to Amercia for a holiday in September.. life is good.. so now I am wanting my body to match my life!

I am so excited about my healthy, new lifestyle.. and I really can't wait til I am putting on my 'at goal' dress and feeling really comfy in my 'at goal' body!!

way to go! be proud of what you've accomplished so far, and don't give up! i'm rooting for you!
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    I truly originally first started when I hit 204 pounds. I was in shock. I looked in the mirror and said 'NOPE you have GOT to go!'. So I spent ages researching the healthiest and best ways to lose weight, and after I completed that, I found an app called MFP and so far it's been my best buddy (no matter how many times I've fallen off the wagon).

you sound like me, but the short version of it! lol

good luck to you!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MFP wouldn't let me see the food database without signing up.
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    MFP wouldn't let me see the food database without signing up.

that's a good enough reason as any lol
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It was lose weight, or buy a bigger belt, and bigger clothes. MFP was cheaper.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I had signed up in june 2011, but didn't get serious until nov 2011 after i saw a picture of myself from a recent trip to vegas and when i stepped on the scale it moaned....smh.
  • heatherbrosigyaskow
    heatherbrosigyaskow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP once before, but only for about a week then I went into see my doctor and he wanted me to start taking blood pressure medications. I'm only 35 and have two young boys at home. I didn't want to be the fat mom on multiple medications because of my weight. My friends at work were using MFP and losing weight so I figured it was worth a second try. In one month I have lost 3.2lbs , gone down 1% in BF and have lost four inches in my waist. I hope by next April to be at my goal weight of 170lbs.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for making the steps to change your lifestyle! MFP works. I am proof. No fads or diets, shakes or pills. Just hard work.

My turning point was when I was at a birthday party for my daughters classmate. I tried on tons of clothes in my closet and liked absolutely NOTHING. Everything was tight and I looked like ****. I went to that party feeling like everyone was staring at me because I looked like 20lbs of potatoes shoved in a 10lb sack. UGH! That night, I refused the pizza and cake and the next morning I got serious. I remember crying myself to sleep and praying for God to give me the strength and will power to lose weight. I started at 250lbs, size 18 and XL or XXL shirt. At my year I was down 65lbs and at 17 months I am down 85lbs and have never felt better about myself!

You can do this. Stick with it. Remember slow and steady. Losing too rapidly is what everyone wants but it is not the ideal way to go for those of us who need to lose this much. Looking back, it doesn't seem like it's been over a year for me. Every food I passed up and every workout I did, was worth it. When you see yourself succeed, it give you a great sense of self and pride.

Best wishes! You can do this.
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    It was lose weight, or buy a bigger belt, and bigger clothes. MFP was cheaper.

lol! good answer!
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    I had signed up in june 2011, but didn't get serious until nov 2011 after i saw a picture of myself from a recent trip to vegas and when i stepped on the scale it moaned....smh.

way to go!

congratulations on your loss so far, and keep up the awesome work!
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    I started using MFP once before, but only for about a week then I went into see my doctor and he wanted me to start taking blood pressure medications. I'm only 35 and have two young boys at home. I didn't want to be the fat mom on multiple medications because of my weight. My friends at work were using MFP and losing weight so I figured it was worth a second try. In one month I have lost 3.2lbs , gone down 1% in BF and have lost four inches in my waist. I hope by next April to be at my goal weight of 170lbs.

i'm totally rooting for you! and congrats on the current loss!
  • erinfaaaaace
    Options
    Congrats to you for making the steps to change your lifestyle! MFP works. I am proof. No fads or diets, shakes or pills. Just hard work.

My turning point was when I was at a birthday party for my daughters classmate. I tried on tons of clothes in my closet and liked absolutely NOTHING. Everything was tight and I looked like ****. I went to that party feeling like everyone was staring at me because I looked like 20lbs of potatoes shoved in a 10lb sack. UGH! That night, I refused the pizza and cake and the next morning I got serious. I remember crying myself to sleep and praying for God to give me the strength and will power to lose weight. I started at 250lbs, size 18 and XL or XXL shirt. At my year I was down 65lbs and at 17 months I am down 85lbs and have never felt better about myself!

You can do this. Stick with it. Remember slow and steady. Losing too rapidly is what everyone wants but it is not the ideal way to go for those of us who need to lose this much. Looking back, it doesn't seem like it's been over a year for me. Every food I passed up and every workout I did, was worth it. When you see yourself succeed, it give you a great sense of self and pride.

Best wishes! You can do this.

thank you for your story, it's incredibly inspiring for me.

i'm aware slow and steady will win the race, though it's tough not to want to drop chop off an arm or leg to lose 20-30 pounds instantly. lol

thanks for the encouragement!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Got back from a 2 week course of over indulging on food and booze and had just had enough have been trying to lose weight for ages... This time it's going to happen.
    I have promised myself I will, log and blog everyday, no matter what.

I am fed up at this size have a huge 25kg suitcase full of skinny clothes and even if I never wear them again out. I bloody want to fit into them.

If anyone want to join me on my journey feel free to friend me.

I'm 43 years old 5ft 6, 89 kg which is 195.8 pounds