how do you cool off from an intense run?

Options
I run after the sun sets, but it's still 89 degrees or so.

feels great running, but after I shower/drink water, theres about 45 minutes where my body is just in metabolic overdrive, and I'm a hot, sweaty, mess.

Whats your best method of cooling down after an intense run? Stretching? Lying on a towel?

kinda a silly topic, i guess :blushing:

Replies

• Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I am like this after practically every workout. I normally take a nice Warm shower and then lay under a ceiling fan on high for about 10-15 minutes before getting dressed.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Relax with a towel. I sweat like a beast after workouts.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I usually just sweat in my gross clothes for a few minutes and stretch, relax, then I shower with cool-ish water and take my darn sweet time getting dressed. :) Then I usually camp out in front of or underneath a fan for a bit. :)
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    eating
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Used to jump in my pool, now I jump in the river.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I sit on the floor and log my exercise, then generally goof around in Garmin Connect and/or MFP... and, if I'm really achin', I'll put an ice pack on my head or back of my neck.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Cold shower (not cool) and large iced coffee.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Same here. I usually keep drinking water, cold shower, cold towel on the neck if I am really hot.
  • msjohnson13
    msjohnson13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cold shower (not cool) and large iced coffee.

I heard of coffee, but thought that was rumor. Why coffee? I lay on the floor because I found that too be the coolest. I also find that when I think I have cooled down, my body is still hot..so I drink more water.
  • invisibility
    Options
    Lie on the floor and try not to fall off.
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I actually try to walk around a little bit. Otherwise my muscles get freaked out by the jump from running to being motionless. After I've walked around for 5 minutes I generally collapse and drag myself in front of a fan.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Looking for tips too! I hate getting out of the shower all clean yet I continue to sweat.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, lots of walking, and a cool shower. Then I usually need to collapse on the couch and watch Star Trek for a while to regain my strength.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I stop running:laugh:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I run after the sun sets, but it's still 89 degrees or so.

feels great running, but after I shower/drink water, theres about 45 minutes where my body is just in metabolic overdrive, and I'm a hot, sweaty, mess.

Whats your best method of cooling down after an intense run? Stretching? Lying on a towel?

kinda a silly topic, i guess :blushing:

Personally, I have to stand under a lukewarm shower for about ten minutes, wash hair, body and just stand there in a semi-trance LOL. Seriously, I am not kidding, sometimes it feels as though my core temperature has just shot through the roof.

I never, however, have a cold shower, that can close all the pores and trap heat in, lukewarm is so refreshing.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have a room with AC, but I need a cool damp towel and then run water over my head. Drink water, and keep up with the towel for 10-15 minutes. Then I get a shower and stretch some more.

My chiropractor said not to sit down until I have stretched and cooled down.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    The shower.

Only if it has a removable head though
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    That happened to me for the first time Tuesday morning after running when it was 95 out. I took a ice cold shower and it didn't help, so I sat in front of the ac and I have one of the cooling towels you wet and stick in the fridge, so I threw that over my head and neck
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    As many people have already said, after a run I walk a little to cool off, usually my body will let me know how long the walk needs to be, then I take a nice cool shower, and lay under my fan for 10 minutes or so. I also try to bump up my ac before I leave the house, so it's a little cooler then usual when I get back!
  • jaybers1
    jaybers1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I usually sit in the shade and sip some cool water. Cooling off too fast can cause cramps