Ladies: Tips for that time of the month??

Options
Hello all!

I just started my journey on MFP a few days ago and mother nature just rang the doorbell and my cravings are out of control...
I am known to get a bit (a lot) cranky when I don't satisfy my cravings which is frankly annoying and not very nice to others.

If you have any tips that you've discovered along the way, please let me know!!

Thanks so much!

Mari

Replies

• callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when you want chocolate, only chocolate will do. You try to eat some veggie sticks, some fruit, some cheese, some rice cakes, etc... all of a sudden you've eaten 300 calories of what you didn't want. Sometimes you just eat the dang chocolate. My fave chocolate - not too far off track snack-
    Get some fat free ricotta- 1/2 cup is about 60 calories. Stir in a sf/ff hot chocolate mix packet (25 cal) and a teaspoon of mini chocolate chips (I forget but it's like 50). It tastes like chocolate, not cheese, but it has high protein so it's filling.

Main thing is to keep your major binge items out of the house (mine is chips, cheese curls, ice cream). If you make the rest of your day pretty healthy, you can eat a few hershey's kisses without going off track. I find that as soon as pms time is over, I drop like 5 pounds at a time so don't be overly concerned about that water retention weight at your time. If you don't go too crazy with the cravings it will level out soon. :smile:
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    They will tell you to eat fruit.

"They" can keep their fruit and pass me the chocolate.

I don't have any particularly awesome tips. I overeat during that week, I do. I make less calorie-filled chocolate chip cookies and freeze them 2 to a bag and eat them as needed. Really, I just accept that I might not lose that week. As long as I don't eat above my maintainance level, I can live with it.
  • Marvie13
    Marvie13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i agree with a previous poster.. just have a smaller portion or a couple of hershey kisses - or a few chocolate chips - .. you'll end up eating way more becuase you dont give into your craving and just keep snacking on "healthy" options...

I also found a delish treat on pinterest.. put a yogurt into a baggie.. then pipe drops onto parchment paper and freeze.. if you have a chocolate craving.. maybe do plain yorgurt and add cocao powder... or even a fat free/sugar free pudding would likely work the same way.. then have a couple when you need them.

good luck on your journey.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Have a serving of whatever you're craving. Log it.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    If you find the solution you have to share.

(Though I love melting a square of dark chocolate and mixing it with 2% plain yogurt) .
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    If I crave it, I eat it. I just make sure to eat slowly, completely focus on the food (no tv, radio, or internet) and save the rest for later if I feel like I've had my fill. I eat a lot less than I would normally if I just really focus on the food itself. The taste, the texture, the smell. I get the full experience and get it with a lot less most of the time.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Same boat -- Ugh it was hard and this is only the first day. I have sweet/salty cravings and normally I devour entire large bags of peanut M&Ms (and I mean the ones labeled "large"). Tonight for salty, I had some kettle corn and for sweet I had a chocolate frozen banana... and I think I might go have another haha. Don't resist your cravings. Feed them in moderation or else you will end up in a binge.

I am a chocoholic (like, I should get help) and to curb my cravings I eat the good stuff -- 2 squares/night. Around 130 cals of pure chocolate joy. I need the chocolate -- or else, like you... I get very very cranky. This is when mother nature is not at my door.

Hope this helps! It's an awful awful time to try to stay on track, but you can do it! And don't punish yourself if you go a little over. It's your hormones, not you :D
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to drink more water then usual. I find that tends to help my cravings a little. Now, I said "tends" and "little". With that being said, Bring on the chocolate! I am usually an anti-chocolate person (I know!!!!!) but when TOM is visiting it's all I want. I just break up the Hershey's bars and try to eat as little as possible. Good luck!
  • muguet21
    muguet21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :D

I actually gave in to the chocolate craving today but I'll definitely try to find some lower cal chocolaty options. It's easier to avoid eating crap at home since I got rid of everything "bad" but I'll have to keep some dark chocolate on me when I'm on the go or else I'll end up buying something that will bust me over.
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They will tell you to eat fruit.

"They" can keep their fruit and pass me the chocolate.

I don't have any particularly awesome tips. I overeat during that week, I do. I make less calorie-filled chocolate chip cookies and freeze them 2 to a bag and eat them as needed. Really, I just accept that I might not lose that week. As long as I don't eat above my maintainance level, I can live with it.

you have a recipe for these cookies? ;)