To have a personal trainer or not??

Options

Replies

• mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of time with trainers over the past few years, and my opinion at this point is very mixed. On one hand, the trainers helped keep me motivated and accountable, kept my workouts fresh by mixing things up, and pushed me much harder than I would have pushed myself. That's where the mixed feelings come in. I am now struggling with severe arthritis, fibromyalgia, and injury-proneness. Maybe I would have developed all of these by this age anyway; maybe not. Maybe they helped me stave it off a little longer; maybe they accelerated it. I will never know.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Beneficial to weight loss?

A caloric deficit is beneficial to weight loss.

A trainer would be beneficial in teaching you some things and helping you learn how to do things and using proper form. I wouldn't use one for an extended period unless I had plenty of money to throw.

aWUS2KH.gif

Er, I mean...Unless you had a trainer like this guy!! In fact, you should pay to fly him in to train you. YEAH.

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

:flowerforyou:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    depends on the trainer
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I recommend you meet with your trainer, and throw all prejudices out the window and keep an open mind when meeting with them.

If after you meet with them you have questions then feel free and ask, but it sounds like you already have doubts about what you are doing and are looking for a reason to cancel or reasons to go through with it. With everything else there are great trainers and not so great ones so you will probably get a variety of responses.

In addition if the one you meet with isnt that great, but you still feel like you want to see a trainer (at least for a while until you are comfortable being on your own) then maybe you need to meet with a few before you find one you like.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options

In addition if the one you meet with isnt that great, but you still feel like you want to see a trainer (at least for a while until you are comfortable being on your own) then maybe you need to meet with a few before you find one you like.

^^this.
    I love mine, but I honestly knew nothing and I seriously lucked out.
    No nonsense, I'm expected to be warmed up when I arrive to him, and we work hard for an hour.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? Maybe not. Strength, toning, flexibility, balance, endurance...all of these will be helped if the trainer is good and the client is willing. I tried 4 trainers. The first was good,but I was not. The next 2 were terrible. The trainer I work with now is worth it. I work out with him weekly and he is not phoning it in. I work very hard and have made incredible strides in all aspects of my fitness. The first year I did not lose much weight but lost three pants sizes. My husband who has always been more fit, sees a different trainer 4 times a year for tweaks,ideas and corrections. We each have what we need. It is costly and you have to consider that. Try it and see what you think.
  • clairedrose
    clairedrose Posts: 121 Member
    Options

^^this.
    I love mine, but I honestly knew nothing and I seriously lucked out.
    No nonsense, I'm expected to be warmed up when I arrive to him, and we work hard for an hour.
    Yes! Better be warmed up and get to work. Most good trainers want that from their clients
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Beneficial to weight loss?

A caloric deficit is beneficial to weight loss.

A trainer would be beneficial in teaching you some things and helping you learn how to do things and using proper form. I wouldn't use one for an extended period unless I had plenty of money to throw.

aWUS2KH.gif

Er, I mean...Unless you had a trainer like this guy!! In fact, you should pay to fly him in to train you. YEAH.

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

:flowerforyou:

gus-stoned-laugh.gif
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Personal trainer, wow I don't even belong to a gym. In all honesty I can't give you an opinion one way or the other, except to say my friends who have had personal trainers either didn't use them or stopped going to the gym. If you have the commitment - and it seems like you do go for it.

Personally, I've never belonged to a gym but have always been a runner. Recently I've gotten into Jillian Michael's DVDs (guess she is my personal trainer?) and have had great results. Just do a search for 30 Day Shred on this site. Other than that and eating right, it's all I do. I've only ever run on a treadmill twice in my life...and that was when I was in a hotel on vacation.

Bottom line is, do what works for you. I love to run outdoors and I think I'm about 5-6 lbs from my high school weight. Keep in mind I'm 46! So I'll just keep doing what works for me :)
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am going to book a session with a trainer at my Gym, I want to learn how to do squats properly, I will use a rack so I won't drop the bar, but I need to work on my form.
  • CindyC60
    CindyC60 Posts: 30
    Options
    If you have a choice of numerous trainers in your area, you might want to try a sample session with several before you make up your mind. When selecting a trainer, making sure they are qualified and have a good education is important, but it is also important that they are someone you enjoy working with and you like their training style. For example, I would never want to work with a trainer that yelled at me like the trainers on "The Biggest Loser" yell at their clients.
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with my trainer for almost 2 years and I love her. I've spent WAY too much money though. But I go, do what she tells me and go home. It's the one facet of my life that I relinquish control. We always do compound exercises and she focuses on free weights, body weight exercises and non-machine cardio. She was over 400 pounds herself once upon a time and lost the weight on her own over 2ish years. She is an amazing athlete now. I like that she is relatable. My recommendation is this, meet and get a feel for it. To keep costs lower, you can meet with them 1x/wk and then repeat that work out until you meet with them again. Do cardio machine or otherwise on your off days. Good luck!
  • wpanderson
    wpanderson Posts: 194
    Options
    Well...I did a really great workout with the trainer today and signed up to do once a week for a month to test it out! I have a really busy schedule & don't feel like I can make appointments more than that! Excited for new workouts to supplement all of my cardio! Maybe I'll even take some before & after photos! :)
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    Being that I am a Trainer I thought I would add my 2 cents.

1. I have issues with Trainers at corporate gyms like 24hr for example because many of the times the trainers have little experience or their primary goal is convincing you to buy sessions. I hate feeling like I am on the sales floor.

2. Having an experienced PT can help you learn good form, an array of exercises, and if they are really good they will work on your individual needs and not to do the same exact routine that they use on everyone else.

3. Look for trainers with good reviews and dont be afraid to ask for references. I can always give references and testimony from current and past clients.

I think the most important quality to look for is a training who adjust exercises to meets your needs, cares about your safety, and understands your limits. I've had clients have to go to the hospital from using a bad trainer who made a 120lb women with little experience lift the same amount of weight a guy twice her size would be using.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

1. I have issues with Trainers at corporate gyms like 24hr for example because many of the times the trainers have little experience or their primary goal is convincing you to buy sessions. I hate feeling like I am on the sales floor.

2. Having an experienced PT can help you learn good form, an array of exercises, and if they are really good they will work on your individual needs and not to do the same exact routine that they use on everyone else.

3. Look for trainers with good reviews and dont be afraid to ask for references. I can always give references and testimony from current and past clients.

I think the most important quality to look for is a training who adjust exercises to meets your needs, cares about your safety, and understands your limits. I've had clients have to go to the hospital from using a bad trainer who made a 120lb women with little experience lift the same amount of weight a guy twice her size would be using.

Good advice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

These are very solid points. May I ask what your qualifications are as a trainer? And do your clients pay for sessions with you?

ETA: on that last point with the 120 pound woman going to the hospital. That sounds horrible. Definitely want to avoid that. How did she get hurt? Did he have her doing some sort of heavy barbell exercise? To avoid these type injuries do you recommend different exercises for women than men?
  • beastmodekittyx
    beastmodekittyx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    All I know is if I could affrond one, I'd definetly do!
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

These are very solid points. May I ask what your qualifications are as a trainer? And do your clients pay for sessions with you?

Well yes of course they pay its how I make my living, you are welcome to view my profile. I am a Certified Personal Trainer and a Certified Pilates Instructor. I also work with a Registered Dietician and give nutritional counseling at wellness center throughout LA. I also have a degree in Kinesiology. I never work at corporate gyms because they never pay the rates a good trainer is actually worth which is why they get a lot of people who are newly certified and still building experience. Most good trainers work for themselves and get their clients from recommendations. They usually have their own website, list testimonials, and train a variety of clients of different ages, weights and goals.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For my current situation, I'm really glad I have a personal trainer.

I have little/no experience with strength training, I want to lose a lot of weight, I don't really know my way around a gym, I want to start things off by learning how to do things the right way, not the way I think should be right.

I got a deal on training when I signed up at my gym (Gold's), and then had an entirely separate meeting where they evaluated what I want/need, my previous experience, everything. They used that meeting to match me up with a lady I love. She loves her job, she was overweight once and her experience with a trainer and the difference it made with her is what made her want to become a trainer. She never phones it in, she has created workout routines based on what I like and what I need, she pays attention to exercises I hate and finds different ways to strengthen those muscles. She also created a meal plan for me, explained anything I didn't get, and in general has been really key to my confidence in myself for this time around.

Also, in general, paying for a trainer is motivation for me. I feel like I've spent all this money, I better get results.

So far, for me, it's been a really great experience. But, I totally get that for others it isn't necessary.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

ETA: on that last point with the 120 pound woman going to the hospital. That sounds horrible. Definitely want to avoid that. How did she get hurt? Did he have her doing some sort of heavy barbell exercise? To avoid these type injuries do you recommend different exercises for women than men?

My client was working with a trainer that had her doing abdominal exercises with 20lb weights, she said she cried during her sessions and he would yell at her and make her feel like she was just whipping out. She had excruciating stomach pains and ended up being rushed to the hospital because she tore her stomach muscles. He had her lifting way too heavy for her size and experience level.

It doesn't matter if they are a man or a women, what matters more is their fitness level and experience. It also depends on their goals, For example on leg days we"ll do compound exercises like squats, lunges and deadlifts but the women might have added glute exercises worked in while the male clients might do added calf exercises. It all depends on the clients goals.