Alternating cardio and weights in same session

Options
Hi all,

I've done a search but can only seem to find threads which talk about whether to do cardio or weights first. But what about alternating between the two in the same session?

My routine at the moment is:

10 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill
Weights (arms and legs)
10 minutes of HIIT
Weights (arms and legs)
10 minutes of HIIT
Weights (arms and legs)

I find that this really works for me because I don’t get tired or bored.

Is there anything wrong with this routine in terms of not getting results (fat loss/muscle definition).

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    With true HIIT, you should not be able to do 30 minutes of it, nor would you be able to lift weights after with much efficiency.

As for alternating regular cardio and weights, my biggest issue would be I sweat too much. Aside from that, it would depend on your routine and your goals. It isnt going to be effective for gaining strength or muscle.
  • mskeith2
    mskeith2 Posts: 22
    Options

As for alternating regular cardio and weights, my biggest issue would be I sweat too much. Aside from that, it would depend on your routine and your goals. It isnt going to be effective for gaining strength or muscle.

Why is that the case? Can you explain why? I am doing the same routine I would be doing if I did the exercises on different days.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Why is that the case? Can you explain why? I am doing the same routine I would be doing if I did the exercises on different days.

It would be the same reason why people don't recommend doing cardio before strenght training if you want to gain muscle or strength. You are still tiring yourself out before lifting.
    Why not just lift, then do cardio?
  • mskeith2
    Options
    [/quote]

It would be the same reason why people don't recommend doing cardio before strenght training if you want to gain muscle or strength. You are still tiring yourself out before lifting.
    Why not just lift, then do cardio?
    [/quote]

Because I tire myself out just lifting. the cardio "breaks up" the lifting session and makes it easier for me to lift. )Okay, so it might not be "true" HIIT, just Interval Training). If I was just lifting on my own, I would be doing the same reps and weights or even less.
  • nansummer
    nansummer Posts: 3
    Options
    To lose fat and gain muscle. Cardio 6 days a week 30-50 min max, first thing in the morning and get your heart rate to target.
    To burn extra fat, do a weight training program to exhaust the muscles then cardio after the weights it will burn excess fat because you have exhausted your glucagon levels to the burning point.
  • nansummer
    nansummer Posts: 3
    Options
    He is correct, lift hard than do cardio! Weight lifting sculptures and cardio is just a catalyst.
    If you want to gain muscle that is, I take muscle fuel 30 min prior to my work outs, muscle gain and night recovery. I placed top 2000
    in 2001 in the "Bill Phillips" body for life challenge. google it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    She. :flowerforyou:
  • mskeith2
    Options
    Okay I still dont understand why alternating between the two wont achieve the same result if I am doing the exact same exercise/weight routine for the same amount of time?
  • mskeith2
    Options
    Anyone??