What sort of Exercise should I be doing?? New to MFP!

Options
After reading Some of the posts I am thinking perhaps i'm not doing the right sort of exercise? I do mostly Cardio and Pilates, 6 days per week approx 45 mins (total) sometimes more...

I have only started MFP within the last 2 weeks and am unsure if i should be incorporating other forms of training. I enjoy Dance, Walking, Pilates and weigh training with Dumbells not the heavy type training, Any Advice would be great. I am aiming to Lose weight all over...

I would be interested to hear what others are doing and whats actually shedding weight.

Replies

• kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Its usually recommended to do a full body weight strength program. I do that in conjunction with cardio (altho definitely I dont do cardio 6 days a week). Ultimately tho it depends on your goals. You dont look big in your pic...so would depend how much you want to lose .... or whether its just Body fat % you want to reduce.
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I started I was strictly doing cardio, it wasn't until I started weight training that the weight started to literally fall off. I would definitely try some weight classes or your own weight training routine at least twice a week, you'll notice a huge difference! :) good luck!
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    squats.. do them.. seriously
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I think the absolute key thing is just to do exercise that you enjoy! : )

There are of course normally exercises that will enhance your performance at your favourite exercise, e.g. any strength building exercises or alternatives that will allow the muscles you normally use to rest and those you forget to have a work-out (e.g. alternating between cycling and running).

Part of the fun of my MFP journey has been getting out there are trying loads of different exercises and even now I'm happy to give anything a go to see if I like it.
    My true loves, I discovered are running, walking and pilates and most of the time, that's all I really do.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy
    GOOD advice
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy

And if you happen to enjoy lifting or bodyweight training, all the better!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Do something you enjoy
    GOOD advice

Have to jump on the band wagon with this one. Don't worry about if your doing the "right" exercise. Do what you enjoy and as you progress maybe dabble in other things. The last thing you want to do is get started on something, hate it, and then quit all together.

I think most people on MFP start out mostly if not all cardio. Its easier to get into. Walking, running, videos etc. Just keep up what you are doing and if you decide you WANT to try something different then give it a go, but don't do it because you feel like you have to.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    what you're doing is fine... incorporating some weight lifting will assist you in reaching a 'firm' look easier
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    strength training is awesome
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    what you're doing is fine... incorporating some weight lifting will assist you in reaching a 'firm' look easier

This ^