5 moves, 45 minutes, 450 calories, lower body workout

Options
Of course everyone is different, and we burn calories differently, but the average Joe should expect this number to be an average burn. This is a fantastic lower body blast!.

Machine squat series...on The Smith. I'm a fan of beginners using the Smith, it helps with proper form. You have the option of using the barbell. In this series you'll be doing a giant set of squats with varying foot positions to target all areas of your legs. 90 repetitions will be performed, it will be challenging but it will really help to sculpt those glutes, hamstrings and quads. Ok, begin by loading your weight, and placing the bar on the back of your shoulders. Place your feet wide with your toes turned out. Sit back and descend until your thighs are parallel to the floor, concentrating on stretching your glutes. Tighten your glutes and hamstrings as you extend your knees and hips back to the standing position. Do 30 reps. Immediately reposition your feet to shoulder width apart and toes pointed forward. Do 30 reps. Now move your feet and knees together for the final 30 reps (there will be no space between your feet) Rest for 30 seconds and repeat this series 3-4 times. You have the option of doing these with or without weight, and again with or without the Smith machine, My burn, 112 calories.

Single leg split squats. Lower the Smith machine bar to about midtorso height. Extend your arms and hold onto the bar for balance. Position one foot slightly forward to keep equal distribution of force on hip and knee extensors and bend the other leg behind you so it doesn't touch the floor. Keeping your abs tight throughout, lower yourself until your front thigh is parallel to the ground. Squeeze the glute and return to original standing position by extending the hip and knee of the forward leg. Repeat 30 reps. Continue with the opposite leg for a total of 3-4 sets of 30 reps on each leg. My burn 104 calories

Lunge with a knee up. With the Smith machine bar across your shoulders, place one foot forward and the other behind. Lower yourself until until the forward thigh is parallel to the floor without allowing your knee to go over your toes. Then, all in one fluid movement, shift your weight forward and bring the rear knee up to about hip level. Plant your back foot on the floor before you lunge down again. Do 4 sets of 20 reps on each leg. My burn 84 calories

Deep squats over-and-backs on the bench. This exercise incorporates some explosive movement to build strength and burn serious calories simultaneously. Begin with one foot on a bench with your toe turned out. Keeping your hands up for balance and momentum, perform a deep squat the immediately explode up and switch feet so you can do the same deep squat on the other leg. Continue going over and back for 3-4 sets of 30 reps. At first you may get winded quickly. If you start to feel as if you're losing your balance, pause for a moment to catch your breath and ensure that you avoid injury. My burn 97 calories

Seated calf raises. Put a moderate amount of weight on the calf machine and sit with the balls of your feet on the platform. Hold onto the handles for balance and tighten your abs. Raise your heels so you feel the extension all the way up through your toes and get a good stretch on the bottom with your feet flexed. Return to starting position and repeat. Do 6 sets of 15 reps. My burn 52 calories.

Replies

• hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love your info, you look great. Can you come over and drag me to the gym?
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I did this workout again this morning, because it's been quite a few months since i've done it. My oh my, I don't know why I stopped, it's been 4 hours since my workout, and my gams are still on fire! This is definitely something you should try if you're having difficulty wih leaning the legs. You will sweat, I was soaked, I burned 623 calories and I added 2 more exercises so I could get a full hour leg workout...It was crazy! I'll be doing it again!