Greek Yogurt

Options
What is the deal with Greek Yogurt.. what is so good about it?

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    it's got double the protein of normal yogurt! :D
  • nosidda
    nosidda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had that same question! thanks!:happy:
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    less sugar and calories.. that's why i started buying it
  • Tammybest1
    Options
    I would not even know where to go get Greek Yogurt, just like flak seed.. anyone with ideas??
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    You can get flax seed at Costco, which is great in smoothies with protein powder. Amazing meal replacement. FOr Greek yogurt, in Canada IGA, in USA, Trader Joes...
  • qbec99
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is now available in multiple sizes in most chain grocery stores (at least those in north-eastern US). Fage and Okios are the most common brand names here.

I like to get the plain and flavor it myself. I also use it instead of sour cream! Yum!
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think its richer, more fullfilling. I like it, I hope at least you try it for yourself :)

I found greek yogurt at walmart just a few days ago. I use ground flax seed, and I found it at a local store but I'm pretty sure they have it at walmart.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's sooooo good!! It's creamy and rich and thick and not as sweet. It's got a hint of tartness that I really enjoy. I don't get the plain greek yogurt. I get the vanilla, honey and strawberry flavors. Even with the fruit, it has less sugar than regular non fat yogurts. It is more expensive, but it is worth it. I won't eat any other kind of yogurt if I can help it.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I saw it in the circular for Kroger, but that also made me decide I would "never" buy it - the small (like regular 6-8oz) containers were ON SALE for $1 each! I refuse to buy yogurt if it's over .33 cents ea or $2.25 for the big tubs - so $1 for 6-8oz is out of the question!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I saw it in the circular for Kroger, but that also made me decide I would "never" buy it - the small (like regular 6-8oz) containers were ON SALE for $1 each! I refuse to buy yogurt if it's over .33 cents ea or $2.25 for the big tubs - so $1 for 6-8oz is out of the question!

At that price (.33/ea) you are getting an inferior product with more sugar, and much less protein than Greek, AND unless the carton is marked otherwise, the cheap yogurt is made from milk that is not free of the growth hormones that many dairies are eliminating, due to consumer demand.

Yoplait makes a non-fat Greek yogurt which is made from hormone-free milk. There is a regional brand on the West coast of the US called Zoi, that is quite good, and less expensive than Yoplait. I read the label, and it is also made with hormone-free milk. I bought a quart of plain non-fat for $2.38. $1 for 6 oz. of yogurt that has 11-14 grams of protein (depending on the brand) beats the heck out of $1.99 for the same thing at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

As far as the price, only you can decide if you want to eat "frankenyogurt" or treat your body to a better quality of nutrition and get the Greek.

BTW, if you think you can't eat the plain flavor, add an envelope of Stevia to it, and you will change your mind quickly--delicious--especially in the morning with some fresh strawberries!! The same thing works great in the evening as a snack.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

At that price (.33/ea) you are getting an inferior product with more sugar, and much less protein than Greek, AND unless the carton is marked otherwise, the cheap yogurt is made from milk that is not free of the growth hormones that many dairies are eliminating, due to consumer demand.

Yoplait makes a non-fat Greek yogurt which is made from hormone-free milk. There is a regional brand on the West coast of the US called Zoi, that is quite good, and less expensive than Yoplait. I read the label, and it is also made with hormone-free milk. I bought a quart of plain non-fat for $2.38. $1 for 6 oz. of yogurt that has 11-14 grams of protein (depending on the brand) beats the heck out of $1.99 for the same thing at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

As far as the price, only you can decide if you want to eat "frankenyogurt" or treat your body to a better quality of nutrition and get the Greek.

BTW, if you think you can't eat the plain flavor, add an envelope of Stevia to it, and you will change your mind quickly--delicious--especially in the morning with some fresh strawberries!! The same thing works great in the evening as a snack.

This! Once you taste greek yogurt, you won't even be tempted that watery mess you used to eat.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seed should be in the baking isle at the grocery store. I buy Chobani Greek Yogurt because it has natural sugar instead of High fructose corn syrup.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's taking me awhile to get used to greek yogurt.... I'm used to the sugary stuff :smile: It's so much thicker ... and seems like you coudl use it in a lot of ways vs. the regular yogart.... like on a potatoe or something.
  • Lithuria
    Options
    Greek yoghurt has been freely available in the UK for years and is treat either as a healthy snack or as a bit of a posh alternative to the other yoghurts on the market. When sold as such a posh alternative it is often sold flavoured with honey (also touted as the traditional way to enjoy it) and it is delicious to serve it as such with walnuts so if you are ok for the few extra calories instead of adding chemical sweetners mix it in with some lovely honey and take the natural sugary hit and sprikle in a few walnuts and it really is absoloutely decadent!

You can also use it to make a fat free ice cream alternative, a lovely recipe I tried added plain cocoa and sugar free orange jelly (jello? gelatine? in the states I think) powder for a gorgeous chocolate orange flavour. Just pop it in the freezer and keep stirring regularly to break down the ice crystals or if you have one, pop it in an ice cream maker. So very yummy ^_^
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    That ice cream alternative sounds delightful.

Not sure if the prior poster was referencing "chemical sweeteners" to indirectly refer to the Stevia that I mentioned in my earlier post, but for the record, Stevia is an all natural sweetener, made from a plant.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I get my greek yogurt at Kroger's. Sometimes I buy Fage, sometimes Brown Cow, most recently the Dannon because it was on sale. I find it's 'heavier' texture sticks with me longer and cuts down on cravings. I also use it as a topper for baked potatoes, mixed with other items as a type of dipping sauce for fish and seafood, for making dips and for baking.

I also get ground flax seed at Kroger's.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    and seems like you coudl use it in a lot of ways vs. the regular yogart.... like on a potatoe or something.

Yep. I use it as a mayo alternative too with a bit of lemon juice and white pepper to give it more tang. Greek yogurt is awesome stuff.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's taking me awhile to get used to greek yogurt.... I'm used to the sugary stuff :smile: It's so much thicker ... and seems like you coudl use it in a lot of ways vs. the regular yogart.... like on a potatoe or something.

I buy the plain and now even my kids (20's) eat it in place of sour cream.

My son puts a bit of honey, his fav cereal for crunch and I put in berries/fruit.

I used it in a dip.........was good
    used it in a potato salad..........OMG......good

For some reason I love this stuff!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

This! Once you taste greek yogurt, you won't even be tempted that watery mess you used to eat.

We have to feed a family of 3 on about $150 a month for groceries - most months closer to $100. If anyone wants to contribute to my grocery fund, I would be happy to eat hormone-free high quality yogurt. Until then .33 cent sale frankenyogurt will be a luxury I indulge in every few months.
  • baffled111
    Options
    All natural Greek yogurt really is the best but it is more expensive. I live in the Pacific NW and we have a yogurt brand, Nancy's, that is all natural, no junky additives, lots of live cultures, etc. I buy the big tubs of the plain Nancy's low fat and, when I want Greek, make it myself. If you strain regular yogurt through cheese cloth or a coffee filter, all the water will drip out and you'll be left with thick, creamy greek-style yogurt. That might be a more cost-effective way of having the good yogurt.

I eat it with everything but as a snack, there is nothing better than Greek yogurt with a bit of honey and some toasted pecans. It's like eating a bowl of cream but with lots of protein and way fewer calories!