Looking for fellow food addicts

Options
trying to find fellow food addicts, i am not following 12 steps program as yet, but trying to work on my addiction. woudl be great somebody who has already done some work on it :)

Replies

• fatbean1980
    fatbean1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi hun,

I think I definitely fall into that category :(
  • Mainosaur
    Mainosaur Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    trying to find fellow food addicts, i am not following 12 steps program as yet, but trying to work on my addiction. woudl be great somebody who has already done some work on it :)

Hi :0

I'm not sure the 12 step program is... but I know what a food addict is.
    I did calorie counting as my main way of losing weight, from what I have experienced is when I stopped eating as much fatty foods eventually I stopped craving them and the smell kinda threw me off a little too.
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have fought craving/binge eating for 50 years. Recently, a minor (luckily) health scare forced me to voluntarily make some drastic changes in my eating.

I assumed that after the first day I'd be languishing in junk food withdrawal, but much to my great surprise, found that I had NO cravings and NO desire to binge.

My drastic changes were to omit all added sugar and salt, all grain, and all dairy except low fat 1/2&1/2 in my morning coffee.

I eat one super nutritious meal in the evening, and "fast" for the rest of the day.

This is working well for me. In all my attempts to break free of disordered eating, I've read enough diet books to fill a very large library, and none worked. This does.

I've learned since starting my routine that I'm using elements of Paleo, Clean Eating, Intermittent Fasting, and ovo-vegetarianism
    But my original goal as HEALTH, and it's still my goal.

Do I love the numerous NSVs that are coming my way? Sure do! But feeling better, and peaceful about food, is the real reward

I also pray for strength, and I'm sure that helps!!
  • ukaggirl
    ukaggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely fall into this category. Even eating healthy foods I still have the urge to overeat and have times where I feel like I need to be eating something all the time. I know this isn't actually a need but it's a very strong craving that's hard to get rid of. I don't just crave bad food, I crave the feeling of fullness and I don't really care what food gets me there. I have found I even crave that feeling of being so stuffed you can't move. I have attended a few OA meetings and would really like to find one to go to on a regular basis. For me, it is an addiction and the cycle needs to stop!
  • iwonajakubiak
    iwonajakubiak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hey, UKAGGIRL
    thank you for your reply, i'm based in UK as well :)
    so you have done OA meetings? i have almost attended one... done as far as the doors and then got all panicky and gone back home... how are they?
    i have done lots of internet research and reading on how food chemistry works for somebody like me - Food Addict.
    Very quickly i have given up on wheat, gluten and trying to go off sugar... that's the hardest bit and because of sweets - its an odd glass of wine which i find hard to loose...
    and yes - welcome on the world of overeating on anything - healthy foods as well... i do not feel fine until I'm sure i have finished all my fruits...
  • ukaggirl
    ukaggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I actually am not in the UK as deceiving as my username is. I went to the University of Kentucky but I wish it was because I'm in the UK. It love it there! :)

I have gone to OA meetings and you should definitely make it past the door. :) It's a wonderful meeting with a program that has been proven to work for addiction in general. It follows the same 12 steps as AA and NA so the goal is to face your addiction and overcome it to take your life back. The people were wonderful and very supportive and never judgemental. They have all been in exactly the same place as you and understand what you are feeling and thinking. I only attended three or four meetings before I moved but really do want to find another meeting. I recommend you at least give it a shot and see how you like it. The worst that can happen is you hate it and you never have to go again!

Oh, and quick question, did your parents make you eat everything on your plate when you were a kid?
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    Oh, and quick question, did your parents make you eat everything on your plate when you were a kid?

Mine did. It was an awful feeling. I have struggled with every form of food addiction, from starving, binging, purging, using narcotics. It is my first addiction and my root problem. I often wonder if the "clean the plate" mentality had anything to do with it.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I saw a documentary once where they tested the taste buds of 2 groups of people, one group who claimed to be food addicts and one group that were all very underweight and claimed to not care about food at all. What they found was that the food addicts legit tasted food differently than the others. The picked up flavors as bloder and more pleasurable than the other group who didn't appear to have as much "taste." I honestly believe this is my problem. I think about food more than anyone I know and I really think I taste things differently than most people. I will say "This is THE best nectarine that I have ever eaten!" and people wil say "um, no. It's just fruit, nothing special about it at all." Yeah, so i get it is my point ;)
  • LanieSkylarker
    Options
    I certainly fall into this category. I realize I'm full, but can't stop thinking about eating more, and sometimes it doesn't even matter what! I only recently have accepted this fact, and am trying my HARDest not to use it as an excuse to eat. Today's my first attempt at a real balance. Usually, when I attempt balance, I restrict until I'm passed the point of hunger, and then binge, and then go to sleep immediately. This time I'm trying to drink a lot of water, which is having this fantastic gag effect. I drink mostly water, but there's always a limit that I come to that my throat restricts and I don't want anymore for the rest of the day. Does anyone else experience that? Think there's a reason?

I wasn't really expected to clean my plate (instead I claimed to not like anything - and get sent to bed often without dinner). But we were fed a lot of fast food (we were also a very poor family).