I want to start lifting, but where do I start?

Options
Celebi03
Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
So far on MFP I've lost 25+ pounds. I'm satisfied with my progress but I want to keep going. I guess I do look OK in clothes, but I want to look good naked as well.

97169aef-2adb-42d0-92f4-cda2acfb3af2_zps6bd547ea.jpg

That's my progress. I want to start lifting but I'm not sure if there's a certain weight I need to get to in order to start? I started at 195 now I'm 170ish. Where do I start? what are some lifting programs? I do not have access to a gym, I'm willing to get a few weights though.

Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found this program incredibly useful and helpful: http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength

I also bought the starting strength book by Mark Rippertoe and I would recommend that in conjunction with the above.

You can find animated gifs and how to information on form for exercises here: http://exrx.net/Exercise.html - Looking at videos of form on youtube can also be very helpful when you are starting out.
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump..I would like to know this as well
  • CFL320
    CFL320 Posts: 5
    Options
    I am in the same boat - I am just starting my journey and I am wondering if lifting is something I should wait on until I shed some pounds first or can I start doing it right now?
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Here is a thread I recently started that has some discussion about the various beginning strength programs. You might find something helpful. I decided on Starting Strength, but there are other great ones to consider. Best wishes to you. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1047736-seeking-beginning-strength-program-suggestions
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    someone suggested in another forum to pick up the book "the new rules of lifting for women". i just started and am enjoying it so far. very informational with diet and exercises and a good read. i got mine on the ebooks section on my phone!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much you want to spend??

Starting strength & stronglifts 5x5 are great beginner programs but will both require and olympic barbell and weights, as a set you prob want to look at 80-100kg sets, a squat rack or at least some squat stands and a bench

New rules of lifting for women you will need the above plus assorted dumbbells and gym ball plus maybe an EZ bar or similar as you cant do lat pulldowns but you can sub for pullovers.

There is a new book out called new rules of lifting supercharged, which gives more freedom, as you can make up your routines with the help of the book working with what equipment you have. Worth getting this book instead of NROLFW as its updated and you can get the equipment you need to start the basics and then build your gym up as you get more advanced.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    bump. curious as well
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    here is my advice for anyone that wants to start lifting. begin with the free stuff, your own body. find a book or videos that show you the proper form and follow them. find anything you can around your house that will help you with your form. a couple milk jugs filled with water make excellent dumb bells. a broom stick works well for squats, lunges and curls. once you have good form, you can move on to more weight. the last thing you want to do is lift with bad form and end up injured.