Apples

Options
mrsnecincy
mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
I love 'em.

But I've got a couple of questions. I'm growing a local variety called Anna. I've got a glut of them. I prefer to eat them off the tree but I've got a few damaged windfalls I don't want to throw away. I'd usualy go to baked goods but everyone I know is on a health kick and I'm all for IIFYM but don't handle wheat very well, so what can I do with them that doesn't mean buying loads more ingredients. I was thinking American style apple sauce but not sure if it would work with this variety or how to make it low cal. Anyone got a good recipe?

Also no idea how to count said apples as the type isn't listed and I've seen apples vary from 40 to 100 cals each on here which is a big difference!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    My favorite treat with apples is to saute them in a bit of coconut oil, then sprinkle with a bit of sugar and cinnamon, with a drizzle of Nutella (not sure if it's called that were you are, but it's chocolate hazelnut spread). It's super delicious. You could also use the applesauce you were thinking of making as a substitute in a lot of healthy baked goods. There's also baked apples with nuts, cranberries, and raisins. I associate that with fall more than summer, but it's still yummy. You could make a tart, pie, or turnovers too. I use fillo dough for turnovers and it's much lower cal than regular puff pastry. Or you could make cider and keep it frozen until fall/winter. Then you'll be able to have a warm cup of cider when things cool down. There are a million recipes of all this kind of stuff online, so I a search for low cal versions might be best since I really only know the full fat ones by heart. I'm from Michigan and we grow a lot of apples there, so I've got a lot of recipes, some of them just aren't the healthiest.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'd be going the jam/jelly/chutney route. Apples have a good amount of pectin, so they're good for making fruit/herb jellies. The advantage to that is that they keep for months or even longer, and make good gifts if you have any friends or family that like home-made type gifts.

You could also try a dessert like an apple crumble/crisp (apparently similar to a "brown betty" in the US?), but using oats or another alternative to wheat flour.

They are also suitable for freezing.
  • mrsnecincy
    Options
    That's a great help. We eat a lot of cheese and cold cuts in this house so chutney is a great idea. I didn't know I could freeze them I thought they'd go watery and nasty. I do like nuts and oats on a crumble but it's almost 40 degrees C here at the moment so not really crumble weather!
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you've got a food processor or a mandolin and a you could try this apple terrine. 20/30 min prep time and a few hours in the oven

Core and peel 8-10 eating apples (3 oz 5 lb /1.5kg) and use processor to slice 1/16th" / 1.5 mm thick. You can use a knife if you have the skills. Melt 3 tbsp butter. Preheat oven to 80C/350F/Gas 4.

Line a shallow dish with baking paper (small lasagne or brownie tray or terrine dish if you have one) and place a layer of the sliced apple as neat as you can in the dish and up the sides. Brush the layer some of the butter so it's coated Then repeat the layering/buttering process (you don't have to be as neat) unitl you've used all the apples. Doesn't matter if they go over the height of the side of the dish.

Double wrap in foil so steam can't escape and bake for 90 min. Remove the foil and press the apples down with back of a spoon to really compress them, cover the top with more baking paper and return to the oven for 2 1/4 hours.

Slice when cool and it's sort of sticky/apple french sophisticated heaven with a scoop of ice cream. Classicly you'd add a splash of apple brandy to the butter and bake a piece of puff pastry between two baking sheets to stop it rising and place the baked apple on top and cut round it for a crispy base but you don't need to when counting cals.

8 portions , 1= 127kcal without ice cream

mmmm might make this myself today nom nom nom
  • mrsnecincy
    Options
    That does sound good! Watching the fat at the moment but will save that for a treat! Am trying to stew the windfalls to see how they cook. Just covered them in Peach Nectar instead of adding lots of normal sugar.

Google says these apples are close to Golden Delicious. The look like Pink Lady but taste tart like an English Cox or Russet so I was hoping not as much sugar but I'll count them as Golden Delicious I think. Thanks for all the ideas folks!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Apples also pair really well with fish such as trout, salmon, and sometimes even cod. You can saute the apples in a skillet in a little butter or olive oil and mix in some thyme then sear the fish in the same skillet for a few minutes. Pop the skillet in the oven (300 - 350 degrees F) for 5 minutes or so.

Oh, and pork chops! Apple stuffed pork chops are yummy! :D

You could also try searching other savory apple recipes.
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    make applesauce! Just peel a bunch of them, put in a crockpot with a dab of butter, some cinnamon (or a cinnamon stick), a squeeze of lemon juice, a strip of lemon peel, and a bit of sugar if you like. Cook on low for 6 hours, mash up, and enjoy! (take out the lemon peel and cinnamon stick!) You can freeze in containers, or can it. Its so good, you'll probably want to eat it all up!
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dehydrate them and eat them as apple chips?
  • mrsnecincy
    Options
    Savory is good. Will try with fish too. Had an amazing Mussel and cider soup once so I can see the logic behind that one. And will try making apple sauce in the crock pot. Hate that thing so pleased to find a good use for it! Also like the sound of apple chips do I need a dehydrator or can I do in the oven? Did try banana chips in the oven not great results. Thanks again all
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Savory is good. Will try with fish too. Had an amazing Mussel and cider soup once so I can see the logic behind that one. And will try making apple sauce in the crock pot. Hate that thing so pleased to find a good use for it! Also like the sound of apple chips do I need a dehydrator or can I do in the oven? Did try banana chips in the oven not great results. Thanks again all

If you're feeling fancy free, Alton Brown recommends turning a box fan into a food dehydrator.

http://www.livewellwithmel.com/tip-of-the-day-alton-browns-homemade-food-dehydrator/ gives an over view. You can also google it.