Need some encouragement

Options
Hello - have been on fitness pal since June and have to say that I am a bit of a convert as it has really helped me more than any other dieting mechanism - have lost 29lbs which is great but recently am starting to flag a bit! Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or tips for keeping me going? I started treating myself a bit more which has halted progress but also want to have a life!

Replies

• ruggie
    Options
    Hello! I think the key is moderation. This is something I am still trying to learn to do! I get really strict and cut everything I love out of my life when I am feeling really motivated. Then SLAM a temptation comes my way. This typically starts binge like behavior. Then I gain a few pounds. Then I get strict again...... This cycle continues and well...... you can see the pattern. I gain and lose the same 5-7 pounds over and over again.

I think if I could learn how to include those "temptations" in small amounts throughout my life-the binges would stop. How to do this???? Time, practice, patience. This is a journey. We will have some successes and some failures that we can learn from. I have slowly but surely seen my behavior changing. The binges still happen-but I get control of them faster.

I hope this was helpful. Most importantly...... try to enjoy the journey. Try to be forgiving of yourself. Be patient with yourself. Love yourself!!!!

Good Luck!
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Why not treat yourself to stuff that aids your weight loss goal? For example, buying super cute new workout outfits? Or a new sports bra, you probably need a new one after losing 29 pounds.Or food that is really healthy but you wouldn't normally buy because it's expensive e.g. salmon fillets. Or, a new juicer, more accurate food scales, that sort of thing. Or maybe even a full body massage - I would LOVE one of those! You get the idea - I am big believer in rewarding oneself but in ways that aren't food related.

Losing 29 pounds is a major achievement, you should be immensely proud of yourself!!
  • tracylipsey
    tracylipsey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend and I give ourselves a cheat day. Now we don't go overboard but we eat the things we like on this particular day. I chose Saturday because we go to the movies and so I will have a candy bar but I still try not to go over my calories too much. She chose Sundays because of football and she knew she would have people over and have different foods. But again it is portion control. DOn't deny yourself foods just don't have the whole plate.
  • Tammyblack
    Tammyblack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestion - jave bought myself an excellent pair of trainers to support my walking regime - the new sports bra next!
  • Tammyblack
    Tammyblack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks also for your suggestion - a cheat day is allowed! I think that I am also now trying to see this for the long term rather than just for a few months!