Extreme weight loss

Options
I heard the dietician say on the Extreme Weight Loss show that eating extra protein just turns into fat, has anyone else heard this?

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I heard the dietician say on the Extreme Weight Loss show that eating extra protein just turns into fat, has anyone else heard this?

More BS! Extra protein will not turn into fat. Extra calories will turn into fat.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm another who dislikes the lazy way supposed experts explain such things.

The excess protein will be excreted, often uncomfortably in faeces, or in urine and sweat. The excess kcals are stored as fat, as normal. The problem with excess protein is that you gain weight (as you would with any excess intake) and can become dehydrated as your kidneys have to work extra hard. Ketosis is another problem - and I don't mean the ketosis as diet plan version :)
  • ForumLurker
    Options
    Never heard that one before. As far as I can tell, extra calories make fat, not extra protein.
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hate all those weight loss shows. They preach healthy living but they show unhealthy habits. All those shows care about are ratings nothing more.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    I hate all those weight loss shows. They preach healthy living but they show unhealthy habits. All those shows care about are ratings nothing more.

Dr. Oz!!!!!!!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

IMO:

The problem is that these statements can get twisted heavily into things like "If protein doesn't convert directly into fat when eaten in excess, therefore I can eat as much protein as I want".

If you eat in a surplus of calories over time you will get fat(ter). If it's a whole bunch of protein, protein oxidation will go up and fat oxidation will go down. So while the protein may not directly convert to fat stores (in any realistic/meaningful sense), you still get fat just the same by blunting fat oxidation and storing dietary fat directly.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to eat protein because it helps me stay full, I don't over eat and it helps me to lose weight more easily. I agree the shows don't show the healthy way to lose weight, first of all too much weight over a very small time frame can not be good for you.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    I like to eat protein because it helps me stay full, I don't over eat and it helps me to lose weight more easily. I agree the shows don't show the healthy way to lose weight, first of all too much weight over a very small time frame can not be good for you.

I've found the best for me is to eat 1g per Lb of lean body mass. I stay full and I'm not losing much muscle.