Headaches

So I've been getting headaches recently since I started MFP. Is it because I've reduced my sugar intake so drastically? I went from about 45g of Sugar to the recommended 28g.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    What is your calorie intake/are you eating enough? Are you drinking enough water? Open your diary and we can have a look. It may also be to do with weather.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Did you reduce it by stopping soft drinks or other caffeinated products? Caffeine withdrawal can cause some major headaches along with not drinking enough in general. No need for excessive water consumption but stay hydrated.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Did you reduce it by stopping soft drinks or other caffeinated products? Caffeine withdrawal can cause some major headaches along with not drinking enough in general. No need for excessive water consumption but stay hydrated.

I have stopped drinking soda, I have a Trenta unsweeteneded Iced Green Tea every morning and then refill that cup with ice water. I get about 1400 calories a day, I used to eat 2400+ a day
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    After I gave up junk food and sodas and reduced my calories, I got terrible headaches for about a week. It's your body going through a sort of withdrawal from sugar and other junk. A few ibuprofens and keep on eating better and it'll go away. Then, you'll feel GREAT! That energy burst from the first couple of weeks is amazing!
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    After I gave up junk food and sodas and reduced my calories, I got terrible headaches for about a week. It's your body going through a sort of withdrawal from sugar and other junk. A few ibuprofens and keep on eating better and it'll go away. Then, you'll feel GREAT! That energy burst from the first couple of weeks is amazing!

Absolutely! Keep with it, and you will soon be feeling great. And as others have said, it could also be the heat. I've been getting terrible headaches this summer, and I'm not usually prone to getting them.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Deending upon the amount of soda with caffeine you drank, you could be experiencing a form of caffeine withdrawal. You green tea is only giving you 70 mg of caffeine while your soda was infusing you with 38 mg for every 12 ounces you drank and it was spread out throughout the day I am sure. Caffeine withdrawal causes horrific headaches. I went from drinking the equivalent of 10 cans of soda to none at all, no tea, no coffee and it took 30 days for the headaches to dissipate. I have not gone back to caffeine. I find that drinking a glass of ice cold water gives me the boost I need.

I have also gone the route of going from eating sugar to not eating sugar (during Lent one year). My side effect from that was irritability and sleepiness. (I was teaching 2nd grade at the time so it was not a good thing.)
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    I cut out processed sugar and processed carbs when I first started out, and I had terrible headaches for about 4-5 days, and then it was fine. My inflammations are gone, I feel so much better, my mood's great. Reducing my sugar & processed carbs really helped. But, no way am I giving up my 2-3 cups of coffee or espresso a day. :) I think getting rid of both at once does a number on your body, but hopefully it'll pass. Drink lots of water. Happy to help you if you need other advice or motivation. Good luck!
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    I had headaches for the first week or so, too. In addition to what everyone else said about junk food/sugar/caffeine withdraws, I also wonder if going from practically no movement to 4-5 hours of cardio a week have something to do with the headaches. The blood is likely rushing to places where it barely dripped before.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    I had headaches for the first week or so, too. In addition to what everyone else said about junk food/sugar/caffeine withdraws, I also wonder if going from practically no movement to 4-5 hours of cardio a week have something to do with the headaches. The blood is likely rushing to places where it barely dripped before.

That might be it too. I went from a completely sedintary life to jogging 3xs a week
  • Rosamia41
    Rosamia41 Posts: 17 Member
    Its sugar withdrawal I believe, but it should go away. Make sure you eat enough and drink suffice water.
  • :smile: I had the same, I cut the amount of regular tea I was drinking, cut my cals consumed and started a vigorous training schedule daily. I had terrible headaches for the first month of the changes, but now its only the heat that gives me one. Think my body was in a state of shock!!! lol

Well done so far with your new lifestyle. xx
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Are you getting more protein lately? It takes more water to process excess protein, so if you don't up your water intake you'll get dehydrated, which can cause headaches. I think that's what happened to me last week. I'd been swimming a lot, and it's hot, and I've been having protein smoothies for breakfast most mornings. And my main morning liquid was a cup of tea. By the afternoon my head felt awful. I figured I was probably getting dehydrated. So I'm drinking only water first thing in the morning now (my daily cuppa is postponed to 10 or 11 am), to help dilute the smoothie. My head's been fine since then.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Are you getting more protein lately? It takes more water to process excess protein, so if you don't up your water intake you'll get dehydrated, which can cause headaches. I think that's what happened to me last week. I'd been swimming a lot, and it's hot, and I've been having protein smoothies for breakfast most mornings. And my main morning liquid was a cup of tea. By the afternoon my head felt awful. I figured I was probably getting dehydrated. So I'm drinking only water first thing in the morning now (my daily cuppa is postponed to 10 or 11 am), to help dilute the smoothie. My head's been fine since then.

I drink about 64+oz of water a day.
  • LIBRARYLADY160
    LIBRARYLADY160 Posts: 1 Member
    You've made a lot of positive changes at once, and once your body adjusts to everything, you will feel fantastic! One other consideration: have you started using artificial sweeteners in place of sugar? If so, and if you're still getting headaches a week from now, you might try cutting those as well. They usually give me a headache!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    whiskey works.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    You've made a lot of positive changes at once, and once your body adjusts to everything, you will feel fantastic! One other consideration: have you started using artificial sweeteners in place of sugar? If so, and if you're still getting headaches a week from now, you might try cutting those as well. They usually give me a headache!

I avoid artificial sweetener since it's been linked to horrible thing and makes you gain more week