Is it ok to do this?

Options
I have a bbq on the weekend which will probably involve alcohol so i was planning to eat maybe 100 calories under what i should and tomorrow burn a couple hundred calories in the gym but not eat them back, the bbq is saturday so its only 2 days eating under my body shouldnt go into starvation mode in that short amount of time should it, i really dont want to gain anything this week.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    First of all, starvation mode doesn't even exist.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with what you suggested. If you work by a weekly deficit, it'll all add up in the end,
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Look up the zig zag diet. Nothing wrong with your plan.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That happened to me this past weekend. I ate like a monster all weekend. Weighed myself on monday and almost threw up. Drank a lot of water and put in an extra 60 mins at the gym 1 day. Weighed myself today, lost 4lbs since monday. I didnt eat less for 3 days prior or kill myself at the gym. I just continued with life as usual and it all worked out. I wouldnt modify anything except maybe if you want an extra 15-20 min on a treadmill or maybe sit in the sauna/ steam room for 10-15 mins.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have a bbq on the weekend which will probably involve alcohol so i was planning to eat maybe 100 calories under what i should and tomorrow burn a couple hundred calories in the gym but not eat them back, the bbq is saturday so its only 2 days eating under my body shouldnt go into starvation mode in that short amount of time should it, i really dont want to gain anything this week.

I often do similar when I have a party of BBQ coming up.

Actually, I have a party this weekend to go to and have been accumulating some calories in a piggy-bank so that I can have a good old drink!

Enjoy! :drinker:
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all. I've been known to "save up" for the better part of a week to enjoy a party or a big meal. It's all about the averages.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That is just fine. I always focus on my weekly average.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    First of all, starvation mode doesn't even exist.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with what you suggested. If you work by a weekly deficit, it'll all add up in the end,

QFT
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Will you be eating less than 500 calories for 4 or 5 months? Then you aren't in danger of starvation mode. The term is widely over used to scare people.
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The human body is a funny thing. I can be "good" all week, exercising and eating right and loose an acceptable amount of weight but then the weekend comes with cookouts, parties, and get together's so the "diet" goes to the sideline and I live a little. I may eat a little to much, drink a little to much and not exercise like I should but I am having fun. The funny thing is Monday when I get back on the scales I expect my numbers to go up, but most of the time they go down. I cant explain it but I figure that if I can be strict all week then I can afford to "live" on the weekends. Plus if your doing it long enough you will reach for the better foods at those cookouts more often than not because it just becomes habit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, this is fine. As long as you have a deficit on average over several days, you will still lose weight. Have fun!
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes U can, enjoy your life as it comes to you.
    Look at your weekly goals.
    And remember a day not loosing means not that you gain weight.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The human body is a funny thing. I can be "good" all week, exercising and eating right and loose an acceptable amount of weight but then the weekend comes with cookouts, parties, and get together's so the "diet" goes to the sideline and I live a little. I may eat a little to much, drink a little to much and not exercise like I should but I am having fun. The funny thing is Monday when I get back on the scales I expect my numbers to go up, but most of the time they go down. I cant explain it but I figure that if I can be strict all week then I can afford to "live" on the weekends. Plus if your doing it long enough you will reach for the better foods at those cookouts more often than not because it just becomes habit.

Spot on,

I need to relax at the weekend so I simply do not hold back if I want to have a BBQ etc I will eat what I want, nor do I eat less in the week so I can enjoy the weekend. As long as you are not doing it everyday & eat as normal in the week then I don't see any problem it has worked for me anyway.
  • Rosamia41
    Rosamia41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should be fine
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    do the 5:2 diet plan. It creates the deficit you need by fasting (500 calories/day) 2 NON consecutive days and you get to eat the yummys on the other 5 days.

Fast days are 600 cals for men.
  • deedee303z
    deedee303z Posts: 31
    Options
    MFP's calories goals, etc. reset at midnight--it's a computer program, that's how they work. In real life, your body doesn't just zero out and start over on calories and exercise every 24 hours. As long as you are averaging within the correct parameters over an extended period of time (say week/month), you should be just fine.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. And don't worry about a being perfect every day. Like others have mentioned, a lot of people go by weekly calories instead of just daily.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    do the 5:2 diet plan. It creates the deficit you need by fasting (500 calories/day) 2 NON consecutive days and you get to eat the yummys on the other 5 days.

Fast days are 600 cals for men.

Research carefully before you consider a plan like this. There's a lot of evidence suggesting it's not good for women.