Sports bra for nursing moms?

Options
bobbiedr
bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
I am a month of a 5 week old. I am going back to work on July 29. I am going to get up around 5-5:30 in the morning to exercise before my baby wakes up. The problem with that is that my breasts will be pretty full. I don't want to wake my baby to nurse her before I workout, and I don't want to pump before my workout because I want to be able to nurse her, since she will be bottle fed most of the day at daycare.

Are there any good sports bras that will support my full boobs? I'm looking for something not too expensive, like something I can buy in Target or places like that.

Replies

• LaChanelCherie
    LaChanelCherie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Following. I am in need of a few sports bras as well.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not really. but it's not like you can't nurse with a sports bra (pull it up/take it off, nurse baby, put it back on and go).
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I would wear my normal nursing bra and THEN a sports bra, or just double up the sports bras. I found that this was the best way to get support.
  • bobbiedr
    bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I may have to try the two bra thing. I went from a D to a DD after giving birth. My boobs have never been this big before. They used to be C's before I had my first baby 3 years ago.

I'm hoping that when I start to lose weight, my boobs will too. I don't want boobs that are this size.
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I may have to try the two bra thing. I went from a D to a DD after giving birth. My boobs have never been this big before. They used to be C's before I had my first baby 3 years ago.

I'm hoping that when I start to lose weight, my boobs will too. I don't want boobs that are this size.

I was a DD pre-pregnancy and found that most sports stores around me only sold up to a C cup. specialized stores charged $90. and up for only one bra. Doubleing up normal sports bras gave just as much support as the expensive bras and was much more affordable. (I'm in Canada though, items may be cheaper in you area).

Edited to add: if your child is only 5 weeks old then don't worry. I'm sure your chest will decrease over time.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The Moving Comfort Fiona adjusts in the front and there are lots of pro-nursing comments in the Amazon reviews.

I cannot nurse in a regular sports bra. I see them recommended all the time for nursing but I wear a very tight racerback style and it's a whole of work to get it on and off. (but it's the only thing that does the job)

I just come home from my run and change before feeding my son.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Oh and rereading your original post, I would think carefully about going running with full breasts. Maybe you pump a little to take the edge off and then feed her when you return? Wearing a tight bra when you are full of milk is going to increase your risk for a plugged duct or mastitis. Definitely stay alert for any tenderness.

As a working pumping mom, I do understand the dilemma of timing feedings and trying to avoid any unnecessary bottles.