New to working out. Advice?

Options
Kaolru
Kaolru Posts: 30 Member
I have been wanting to get into shape for a while now, but I get lost in the sea of information out there and end up getting overwhelmed, so I never do anything. I'm not overweight and never have been, but I'm not a stick either. I definitely have curves. I don't want to lose them, but I need to tone up and get into shape.

I'm 23 and always feeling tired with no energy, no desire to do much of anything, and almost always in a lousy mood. I know the fact that I don't eat right or exercise is a factor in this, so it's the main reason I want to change.

Because I'm new to this, I don't want to start out with something too crazy and then just give up. I need to do things gradually. I've heard that doing your workout in the morning is the best, is this true? I'm not really a morning person, but it seems like it'd be the best time to do it so I stay consistent. I'm limited to thirty-minutes though.

The areas I'd like to focus on the most are my arms, glutes, and thighs. My thighs are actually pretty good, but could be a bit more toned. My arms are the worst though. I have no idea why, but they've always been big, and they don't seem to fit the rest of my body. I would like to trim up my midsection, but I have a very hard time with ab workouts as I have a back injury. Crunches will leave me in enough pain to restrict my breathing. It isn't fun.

Anyway, I know it's a lot to ask, but if someone could please give me some ideas, that would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    my idea would be to do something. anything. walk. run. pushups in your living room. pull ups in the park. early morning. mid afternoon. 2am. doesn't really matter. pick something, ANYTHING, that you can do and start doing it. plenty of time to get overwhelmed later but right now your problem is that you won't put one foot in front of the other one and get started.

Start. Something.

Anything.
  • Brendajo510
    Brendajo510 Posts: 153
    Options
    I agree that you just need to start something.

Find what works for you and do it. I find that there is no way I would work out in the morning, it's just not something I would ever continue. So, I work out at night. Sometimes I do my C25K with my dog on a walk/jog. I have workout DVDs that I sometimes use (30 Day Shred, Kettle ball, Yoga). I recently bought the You are Your Own Gym app for my phone which gives me exercises to do with objects around the house because I don't have a gym membership. It's important to just do something.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    What about something just for fun? Almost like a game. I got really into the balance ball because I had a blast rolling around on it. Then it just morphed into enjoying exercise, then being inspired to finding other ways to exercise. What kinds of things interest you? What do you have fun doing?
  • Kaolru
    Options
    I know I need to just start something, but I just don't know what to do. I'm the kind of person who needs a system. If I just do something random, it won't stick.

I'm an artist, which is pretty much a sedentary hobby for the most part. I have a horse, and horseback riding is awesome, but he's been injured for the past two years and needs to heal before we can start working again. Another problem with that is this heat. It is unbearable, and I don't have AC, so I'm reduced to doing any exercise in the basement. The concrete isn't friendly.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has some good bodyweight circuit routines that can easily be done at home with no equipment. That might be a good place to start.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I know I need to just start something, but I just don't know what to do. I'm the kind of person who needs a system. If I just do something random, it won't stick.

I'm an artist, which is pretty much a sedentary hobby for the most part. I have a horse, and horseback riding is awesome, but he's been injured for the past two years and needs to heal before we can start working again. Another problem with that is this heat. It is unbearable, and I don't have AC, so I'm reduced to doing any exercise in the basement. The concrete isn't friendly.

Hey! I'm an artist too! My studio actually doubles as my gym! Depending on what type of art you're doing, I found that stretching my own canvas's can be a pretty good workout. I also stopped using my hand sander to smooth out gesso when priming and started doing that by hand too. If you're looking for a program, try a 30 day one. Like 30 Day Shred. There's a group for all of those (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and the others like Insanity and TurboFire). If you join one of those groups you'll be able to get lots of advice on that particular program and it might make it easier to stick with.
  • Kaolru
    Options
    Sadly I work in an almost strictly digital medium when it comes to art. I love it, but it'd be nice if I could do real-world mediums. I'm just not terribly good at them.

I think I like the sounds of a 30-day program. Seems like something I could follow or at least build a schedule around.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm like you... need motivation of some sort. I went out and got a jawbone UP bracelet - it's same idea as a pedometer - just fancier - to get me to do my 10 000 steps a day. This was in March. It's now July, I feel much better physically and about myself - lost 25 lbs and am still going. Some days - especially hot ones like we've had this week- I really don't want to go and walk - but I must have my 10 000 steps! haha I can hear the groaning from some people - but if it works for me, than good for me =)

I'm now trying to do the little mini challenges found on here, and I've joined the butt lift group - which I never would've done before my bracelet!

Just get started with something easy that you know you can do and move on from there!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25K....NROL4W....google them!

2 great starting points for getting fit and 'toning up'
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Join a gym, lift weights.
  • Kaolru
    Options
    Oh wow, I like that bracelet idea. I lean toward OCD when it comes to numbers like that. Even if it's something tedious that I'm getting really really sick of, I just have to get to the number. So that may work out for me. So do you like the bracelet better than a standard pedometer, or is it basically the same?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Sure, so first thing is first. Spot reduction doesn't exist. So what you said about your arms not being proportioned the way you like... there isn't any exercise that will "target" that. Look into it if you want, it's complete bunk. Example: crunches will not burn belly fat, curls will not burn arm fat.

The best place for you to start, since I can tell you like to read (and that's great, btw) is to educate yourself on bodyfat percentage, and understand that slimming an area has to do with lowering total body fat, and building muscle. Genetics play a role here (your proportions/shape are what they are) but if you build up your arms and loose the fat around them, you will achieve "better" arms... maybe even the arms you want.

Lifting heavy, challenging weight will not make you bulky or butch, read up on that too. You're a girl, it's VERY diffult for women body builders, happens VERY slowly regardless, and you definitely won't endup like that unless you make it like a full time job.

Good starting program would be Stronglifts 5x5. Why? It's only got 4 exercises that literally work out every muscle in your body, it is basic and time tested, and it's is incredibly simple with a great iphone app to keep track of your progress. Also free. Then just add cardio where you like and you'll be set.

If you need some convincing on why a woman should lift like a man, read "New Rules of Lifting for Women".
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I like that bracelet idea. I lean toward OCD when it comes to numbers like that. Even if it's something tedious that I'm getting really really sick of, I just have to get to the number. So that may work out for me. So do you like the bracelet better than a standard pedometer, or is it basically the same?

I've never tried a pedometer - what I like about the bracelet is it also tells you how many calories you've burned - I know not the most scientific but again works for me - and it can also track your sleep which is kinda cool. It integrates perfectly with MFP which I like.
  • Kaolru
    Options
    Sure, so first thing is first. Spot reduction doesn't exist. So what you said about your arms not being proportioned the way you like... there isn't any exercise that will "target" that. Look into it if you want, it's complete bunk. Example: crunches will not burn belly fat, curls will not burn arm fat.

The best place for you to start, since I can tell you like to read (and that's great, btw) is to educate yourself on bodyfat percentage, and understand that slimming an area has to do with lowering total body fat, and building muscle. Genetics play a role here (your proportions/shape are what they are) but if you build up your arms and loose the fat around them, you will achieve "better" arms... maybe even the arms you want.

Lifting heavy, challenging weight will not make you bulky or butch, read up on that too. You're a girl, it's VERY diffult for women body builders, happens VERY slowly regardless, and you definitely won't endup like that unless you make it like a full time job.

Good starting program would be Stronglifts 5x5. Why? It's only got 4 exercises that literally work out every muscle in your body, it is basic and time tested, and it's is incredibly simple with a great iphone app to keep track of your progress. Also free. Then just add cardio where you like and you'll be set.

If you need some convincing on why a woman should lift like a man, read "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

Thank you for all of this information, but I am aware that you cannot target areas for fat reduction. I was simply pointing out the areas where I would like to see the most improvement. I don't want to look like a stick figure. I don't mind having thick legs and thick arms. I like my curves, but I want to reduce and replace the areas that are almost all fat. I have an hourglass figure for the most part, and I don't think that will change if I lose weight.

I'm not worried about bulking up either, so that isn't an issue. The problem I have with lifting is not having access to a gym, and getting my own equipment will likely not happen.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You don't have a gym in your area?
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Stay away from 30 Day Shred. Made me poop my shorts.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the prior poster, 30DS is a great starting place
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv

ETA: Workout whenever you can. Doesn't matter what time a day.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    I disagree with the prior poster, 30DS is a great starting place
    It did make me poop my shorts, though. Caution!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think I like the sounds of a 30-day program. Seems like something I could follow or at least build a schedule around.

I have many friends who have done and enjoyed 30 day shred and/or the coach to 5 k program. I started out walking, then doing walk/run intervals, then running. I used to hate morning workouts so I worked out in the evening. Now I prefer mornings and have a lot more energy during the day, but just pick something to get moving and do something that works for you. Maybe sign up for a 5K? Or find a friend to workout with for accountability? Those helped me make it a habit when I first started a couple years ago!