High Protein/Low carb and Poop

Options
Hello dears! I have been doing high protein/low carb since the beginning of my journey and I have never had issues but these past 2 weeks my digestive system is acting all crazy...I can't poop! I mean I can but...you know! I LOVE the diet, lots of eggs, chicken, legumes and veggies but dang...I also drink high protien energy shakes for bfast and lunch most days. Any suggestions? I have has little success with the conventional methods of depooping myself, I take a laxative every few days (natural Chinese tea). Any ideas/tips/experience will help. THANK YOU!

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise has helped me tremulously!! I've been doing low carb for 2 years now.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Benefiber.

Or, incorporate high protein, low carb bread products like Smart & Delicious tortillas. The 50 calorie tortilla has 7 grams of fiber.

Lentils are also loaded with fiber. Eat a cup or two of those and you should be set for the day.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Lentils, black beans, etc. Or, you know, something like Metamucil. I can't imagine taking laxatives, but I'm on a high-fiber diet for my cholesterol, plus magnesium supplements, so I can honestly say that constipation has not been an issue at any given time with my new lifestyle.

So basically:

Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Magnesium.
    Fiber.
    Water.
    Repeat.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Replace the Slimfast, Starbucks and vegetable juices with real food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can't poop? Eat more high fiber carbs, add more oils, and drink plenty of water.
  • Grizzles66
    Options
    Try prune juice. Nature's laxative!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Lentils, black beans, etc. Or, you know, something like Metamucil. I can't imagine taking laxatives, but I'm on a high-fiber diet for my cholesterol, plus magnesium supplements, so I can honestly say that constipation has not been an issue at any given time with my new lifestyle.

So basically:

Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Magnesium.
    Fiber.
    Water.
    Repeat.

You left out the fiber. :laugh:

As a woman, OP supposed to be shooting for about 20-25g of fiber a day.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have has little success with the conventional methods of depooping myself
    I am soooo stealing this line

but to your question - this is exactly why i have a problem with the low/no carbing concept.

Since things have changed recently, I would go over your food diary with a fine tooth comb, and see what is different: could be something simple like you changed winter fruit for summer fruit (and not all fruits are created equal - i find that some summer fruits cause me problems), or you changed a brand of crackers or something.

otherwise - drink lots and lots of water, try coffee, hard boiled eggs, and prune water, and exercise.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    put a bit of carbs back in there, and eat them at night. you'll sleep and poop better, and keep losing if you run a deficit.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Flat Outs
    Quest bars
    Balanced diet
  • jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Try not to take laxatives unless you absolutely need too because they can disrupt your GI tract and can cause dependency. Try to drink lots of water and go for a walk or even run. If I can't go then a run will usually do the trick. If you drink enough water you should be able to pass with out a problem. Try to drink at least 8-10 8 ounce glasses :)
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Well...I looked at your diary. You need to be consistent in logging. I don't see how your diet is low carb/high protein. I agree with the above comments...eat more fiber!! And eat food not just drink your calories.
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do not log consistently =( but I am a label-monger I read EVERYTHING and keep track of my cal intake. I do tend to drink my calories vs. eating them, I cook dinner and eat with my family but at work its easier to mix up a shake. I've heard about the magnesium, and I have been eating apples everyday. Past 2 days I've increased my water and still pooped up. Today I will eat double servings of legumes and cross my fingers. Thanks everyone! I do exersize every day, just not great at logging all my activity.
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm so going to purchase these tortillas this afternoon. Thanks!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Can't poop? Eat more high fiber carbs, add more oils, and drink plenty of water.

This. Especially the oils! Helps it "slide" out!! :laugh:
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options

So basically:

Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Fiber.
    Magnesium.
    Fiber.
    Water.
    Repeat.

Yep, ^^^THIS^^^
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I eat high-fat moderate-protein low-carb and love not having to poop. Everything I eat, my body can metabolize much more efficiently with less waste than if I ate oatmeal and toast and orange juice. Also, every time I *do* have to poop, it comes out very smoothly and quickly. Maybe that's just the squats helping. :)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Increase your fats and fibre, you need to getting the plumbing lubed and flowing and those are the two best ways to do it.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise, up your water intake, add bing cherries to your diet (trust me on this one, you will poop with little effort), and try some yoga (it really can help). As a fellow difficult pooper, I know how frustrating it can get! Good Luck!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Flax seed. I make a flax seed muffin every morning and it gets my fiber intake up to normal levels.